IGNORED

My response to "Boycott the sub-forum"

Trinity Sessions always bored me. Margo Timmins' breathiness got old pretty quick. I know, sacrilege. Give me the artificial production of Abbey Road any day.

Obviously just my own preference, and no objection if anyone feels differently.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

All this talk about, recreating the live event has me chuckling...  Some of you set your speakers up with a laser measuring tape and you sit in the ideal spot, etc...  Has that ever happened at a live event?

Here is an example from my own experience. One of my favorite live events was seeing Kat Edmonson at The Dakota here in Minneapolis. It's a pretty small space and they get as many people in there as they can. I was sitting in the seat circled in red below. How should I recreate that live event when I play one of her albums? Does it need to be that specific album? Do I need to switch it up to play another album? Recreating the live event could get time consuming and really cut down on how much music I listen to...

edit: in this example, she was facing up.

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 9.00.32 PM.png

Why would anyone produce a recording that attempts to recreate a live event from the perspective of a seat/position that was less than ideal? Presumably, it's only the best/ideal position that matters.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, Rexp said:

The best recordings are the simplest with nothing 'created' like the Trinity Session mentioned above, details:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/cowboy-junkies-sweet-jane

The keyword is Calrec Soundfield microphone. Google up how and what the mic used for.  

1978: Calrec launches the Soundfield microphone, the world’s first single point-source microphone capable of recording sound in three-dimensions for surround-compatible playback”.

29 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Why would anyone produce a recording that attempts to recreate a live event from the perspective of a seat/position that was less than ideal? Presumably, it's only the best/ideal position that matters.

We already got sound from any desired direction. In real time you can choose which direction of the sound you like. 

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Trinity Sessions always bored me. Margo Timmins' breathiness got old pretty quick. I know, sacrilege. Give me the artificial production of Abbey Road any day.

Obviously just my own preference, and no objection if anyone feels differently.

Which version do you have? My vinyl copy sounds good, all the versions on Tidal are DOA. 

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Bill still records the best in the business in Nashville. He told me this recently. 

I don’t dispute that. I was speaking from my experience and commenting on a blanket statement that seemed to propose live music would always be better than a recording. 

That transports me back to those dark, crowded and smoky little clubs and bars with a band that couldn’t play very well or with a PA system so poorly done it was just a big, loud and muddy mix. I can think of hundreds of recordings that sound better than that. 

I’m a big fan of live music and depending on where we’ve been over the years have had season tickets for opera or symphony events. My wife and I also enjoy mainstream and independent rock bands - but like anyone else within our budget. Now living about four hours north of Toronto, an overnight stay for any concert is a four figure cost. 

I will say that in the past decade or so there seems to have been a dramatic increase in the sound quality of house PA systems - you can actually enjoy a well balanced and distributed sound where all the musicians can be heard.  

1 hour ago, SJK said:

I was speaking from my experience and commenting on a blanket statement that seemed to propose live music would always be better than a recording. 

That transports me back to those dark, crowded and smoky little clubs and bars with a band that couldn’t play very well or with a PA system so poorly done it was just a big, loud and muddy mix. I can think of hundreds of recordings that sound better than that. 

I will say that in the past decade or so there seems to have been a dramatic increase in the sound quality of house PA systems - you can actually enjoy a well balanced and distributed sound where all the musicians can be heard.  

Live performances are also greatly enhanced through our sight.  Not saying that a blind person can't enjoy this either but visual ques are everywhere to enrich the show.  Lighting, stage design, back drop, the audience, your date or friends your with, food/drink, smell of the venue all attribute to the experience. 

Some bands, especially in rock/pop can't reproduce their albums live because there music is to complicated (too many overdubs) or the singer can't reproduce his/hers vocals.  Those bands (usually big popular ones) use prerecorded music throughout the show to address this issue.  The last thing they need is for the audience to be let down and stop buying there music because they can't perform it live.

A band I enjoyed but are terrible live is My Chemical Romance, the lead singer sounds terrible.   He puts his heart and soul in every recording but can barely reproduce this on stage.  There are plenty others, especially older rock bands Motley Crue (singing), Metallica (overdubbed guitars). Usually the visuals from the show, distract me from these short comings.

Artist that keep it simple on the recording, usually equals great live performances.   That's what there trying to do in the first place.  I appreciate bands that say if we can't reproduce live, what we put on the record, we won't record it.   

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

The point is even if the lead singer sounds terrible you know that it is real sound. during playback you instinctively know that it is reproduction because the phantom images are created by two sound which contradicts with real sound where it is only coming from a single source. 

another example. Isn’t this is also live?

5 hours ago, Rexp said:

Which version do you have? My vinyl copy sounds good, all the versions on Tidal are DOA. 

Well, I don't have Tidal and I bought it long ago, whether too long ago for CD I don't remember. There was certainly no problem with the sound - half the time you were in the church, and the other half figuratively staring at Margo's epiglottitis.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 hours ago, lucretius said:

My point is, that was my experience of the live performance, and it was a great experience despite the less than ideal seating position. in that space, I don't think there is an ideal position, it's too small.

Second, the youtube video I posted about the recording of Stacey Kent's album. How should I attempt to recreate that recording in my home? It's a lost cause from the start.

So, with that understood, I can just sit back and enjoy the music instead of worrying about whether or not I am recreating any live events.

No electron left behind.

29 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Engineers are charged with the responsibility of taking the science and implementing it, and it is therefore extremely hard for us to sit back and ignore comments that fly in the face of the facts and commonsense.

That is the basic problem here. Some Engineers believe that they are infallible in their areas of training and expertise.

This applies to all aspects of Engineering where we occasionally see loss of life where some minor detail has been overlooked, even by Inspectors and Government Regulators who are entrusted to check that the equipment  or design is as safe as humanly possible .

That's not to say that Engineers overall don't do  a fantastic job.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 hours ago, Jud said:

Well, I don't have Tidal and I bought it long ago, whether too long ago for CD I don't remember. There was certainly no problem with the sound - half the time you were in the church, and the other half figuratively staring at Margo's epiglottitis.

I always enjoy this, er, 'audiophile' recording, 🙂. The recording quality has zero to do with it, it's the feel of the balance between the instruments and the voice - the sense of "lazy, hazy days of summer", the 'dreaminess' of the slow, steady movement through each song is quite hypnotic ... it gets a big tick from me, as a near perfect creative act of music making ...

37 minutes ago, Ajax said:

The point I am trying to make is that it is inherent in our education and training to assume nothing and to always ask for "proof". If I designed a bridge or an office building and it subsequently fell down, and people were killed, I would not be able to rely on my "intuition" or my experience. I would need to show my calculations and be able to "prove" that I acted in accordance with the particular design code.

Every teacher in a classroom knows the difference between having a conversation with a student, where there is good communication, and back and forth; versus one where the student is stinking with "attitude" ...and so do people reading forum threads discern what's going on ...

On 2/19/2020 at 4:52 PM, pkane2001 said:

Right. Nobody from the objectivist camp has contributed anything of value here for 12 years. Now it makes sense why you’d banish them all to a sub-forum.

We need to define value here - which is hard. I have been trying to stay out of this, but I just want to say  that  this post is one example of why the fray keeps getting hotter.  Because really, since there is no agreed definition  of what "value" is, all it means that @pkane2001 disagrees with everyone in the objective side.  To phrase in terms of "value", turns that idea into an insult.

Haven't read the whole thread yet, since I came to it a bit late - but I assume this post will have reactions - let's see! :D 🍿

v

15 minutes ago, vmartell22 said:

We need to define value here - which is hard. I have been trying to stay out of this, but I just want to say  that  this post is one example of why the fray keeps getting hotter.  Because really, since there is no agreed definition  of what "value" is, all it means that @pkane2001 disagrees with everyone in the objective side.  To phrase in terms of "value", turns that idea into an insult.

Haven't read the whole thread yet, since I came to it a bit late - but I assume this post will have reactions - let's see! :D 🍿

v

Ha! - Finished the thread - no reaction other than mine!  - ah well - still think is an example of why things become uncivil pretty fast, all the time.

Back to lurking

v

31 minutes ago, vmartell22 said:

v

I'm glad that you reacted to just my post in this thread from 200+ others. But I'm sure if you read the context of that post, as well as my other posts, you may see it in a slightly different light.