IGNORED

My response to "Boycott the sub-forum"

36 minutes ago, fas42 said:

If you want to focus on how a particular combo of components distorts the sound as compared to another lot, then indeed it is HARD. If however you focus on how close you are getting to the sound of recording then everything becomes a lot, lot easier ... so, how do you know what the "sound of the recording" is? Well, think of all the times you've heard it, and pick out the one which was "stunning", bowled you over - the "Gosh, I didn't know that was on the recording!" moment which made your day, and perhaps is a special memory ... THAT's the sound of the recording ... 😉.

Or if I'm listening to one that I actually made/produced/mixed myself   😀

Even the "best" recordings, (whatever that means), pale compared to a live event. Or, as you say, most of us don't know the intention. Plus, there can be as many as 4 to 5 variations & generations in what makes it to CD, or Digital file(s) to download etc.

Not sure where I'm going exactly with my reply, - I guess that I respectfully disagree & would say that the best system brings out the best in the recording (on average consistently), - to me. (and of course, I can't afford the best). I wouldn't buy Kharma Exquisites even if I could afford to, - when there's comparably priced real estate in the Cinque Terra.  🤣 

(And that might take me back to what I wrote before about endeavoring to be a "learning person" who learns about how things are supposed to sound by hearing them (instruments)  over and over, and/or hearing them live.

39 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Even the "best" recordings, (whatever that means), pale compared to a live event. Or, as you say, most of us don't know the intention. Plus, there can be as many as 4 to 5 variations & generations in what makes it to CD, or Digital file(s) to download etc.

Not sure where I'm going exactly with my reply, - I guess that I respectfully disagree & would say that the best system brings out the best in the recording (on average consistently), - to me. (and of course, I can't afford the best). I wouldn't buy Kharma Exquisites even if I could afford to, - when there's comparably priced real estate in the Cinque Terra.  🤣 

(And that might take me back to what I wrote before about endeavoring to be a "learning person" who learns about how things are supposed to sound by hearing them (instruments)  over and over, and/or hearing them live.

“Even the best recordings pale compared to a live event”.

I’m presuming that’s hyperbole, and meant for dramatic effect. 

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

IME, you don't need to know what the intention was - what counts, for me, is that there is nothing in what I hear that makes me feel that I don't understand or connect with everything that is happening aurally, in the listening space. No matter how complex or dense the mix becomes, everything is still fully 'transparent' - which translates to, if the track is a single acoustic instrument being the only thing happening, then that comes across with as much impact as the the fullest sound mix - there is no "better", at either end of the 'complexity' spectrum.

A very early experience, decades ago on this journey, was going to a performance space, and hearing raw acoustic sound - and thinking, this is "not quite good enough"; I get greater emotional impact from some of the recordings at home, of similar music. Of course, this sense of things is highly dependent on where one is seated, the acoustics, all sorts of factors come into play - but the takeaway is that there is absolutely nothing stopping replay being as 'saturated' as the "real thing".

If we want to move on then we should not be confined to statements made by recording engineers 30 or 40 years ago.  Recording of music is not science but more of an art. Taking the words as gospel truth doesn’t help to expand and explore. 

Sound is sound irrespective whether they are real ( whatever that means) or reproduced. They  behave the same way when reaching the ears. If you want the recording to sound like the real event then ensure the same cues are fed to the ears in reproduction. 

There are various research and experiments done by universities and top manufacturers where they transport you to the real event. I just they use VR glasses and conduct through blind tests and see if they listeners could differentiate the real and reproduced sound. 

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Bill still records the best in the business in Nashville. He told me this recently. 

In one of the 3D forum, Grammy winner recording engineer also said the same thing to me. End of the day, they have not explore beyond the two channel production and most ( with respect to Bill ) never experimented with different format.  I don’t think many here would have used the same speakers and amplifiers ( although unnecessary) for 5.1 and compared them with 2.0 using dedicated recording for each format like the samples from 2L. 

Real event is a multi directional sound event. Reality is when the sound reaches your ears is similar to the real event. It is physically impossible to expect live like performance from two or small number of the speakers phantom image and equating them to real event. A phantom image is a phantom image and the brain knows it unless you further trick the brain to believe it is real event. 

And another person claiming to be a recording engineer having mastered over 4000 titles was claiming that stereo can extend beyond speakers and walls when done correctly. When I asked him to give one sample. He gave me two and both were made with effects to especially enlarge the sound stage. One of them was Take Out. Take out was not a real stereo recording. The other one was Firesign studio albums which is know for the soundfield effects in their recordings. 

5 minutes ago, STC said:

Real event is a multi directional sound event. Reality is when the sound reaches your ears is similar to the real event. It is physically impossible to expect live like performance from two or small number of the speakers phantom image and equating them to real event. A phantom image is a phantom image and the brain knows it unless you further trick the brain to believe it is real event. 

What's left out of the equation, here, is that the brain, at least for a percentage of individuals, can compensate for the "missing information" to that extent that it, the brain, refuses to let go of the illusion, no matter what you do "to shake it off" ... this is where the conjuring occurs - and it's magical for those who can make it happen ...

20 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Can you take this to the Frank-Fi sub forum.

It appears to be very little different, except that it is no longer in the General area of the forum. The same type of non Objective posts  as what supposedly caused the original problems , and not just from Frank.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

6 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

All this talk about, recreating the live event has me chuckling...  Some of you set your speakers up with a laser measuring tape and you sit in the ideal spot, etc...  Has that ever happened at a live event?

Here is an example from my own experience. One of my favorite live events was seeing Kat Edmonson at The Dakota here in Minneapolis. It's a pretty small space and they get as many people in there as they can. I was sitting in the seat circled in red below. How should I recreate that live event when I play one of her albums? Does it need to be that specific album? Do I need to switch it up to play another album? Recreating the live event could get time consuming and really cut down on how much music I listen to...

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 9.00.32 PM.png

Hi-fidelity is about fidelity to the original recording. Of course you would have had to be in the mastering studio to know whether your reproduced version was close to the original. 

3 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Hi-fidelity is about fidelity to the original recording. Of course you would have had to be in the mastering studio to know whether your reproduced version was close to the original. 

Do I need to go to The Church Of The Holy Trinity in Toronto to listen to The Trinity Sessions album?

No electron left behind.

37 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

All this talk about, recreating the live event has me chuckling...  Some of you set your speakers up with a laser measuring tape and you sit in the ideal spot, etc...  Has that ever happened at a live event?

Here is an example from my own experience. One of my favorite live events was seeing Kat Edmonson at The Dakota here in Minneapolis. It's a pretty small space and they get as many people in there as they can. I was sitting in the seat circled in red below. How should I recreate that live event when I play one of her albums? Does it need to be that specific album? Do I need to switch it up to play another album? Recreating the live event could get time consuming and really cut down on how much music I listen to...

And pointless. As we say downunder, "It's the vibe ..." 😁

Live sound creates an energy in the space ... and that's what you're after. You'll know when you've got it, with audio replay - because you couldn't care less where you are, within listening distance of the sound making. Which is the really good bit, because you can wander around your home, and it always sounds like the band's going for it, "just in the other room" ... you know, just the real thing, 😉.

1 hour ago, STC said:

Exactly! Whatever stage, depth, highs and lows created were one man’s (or a team) preference. What should the recording translate in your system is a performance that sounds like real instruments and venue that would make the recording to sound most realistic. 

The best recordings are the simplest with nothing 'created' like the Trinity Session mentioned above, details:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/cowboy-junkies-sweet-jane