IGNORED

My response to "Boycott the sub-forum"

1 minute ago, firedog said:

Writing posts that make you sound like a "true believer" in conspiracy theories and the type of thinking behind them isn't a very convincing argument for your position. I think you have completely misread Chris and his motives. 

I suggest that to back up your assertions you should setup some surveillance equipment at Chris' house so you can see him sitting around his cauldron with Scoggins and Quint, cooking up some evil potions that induce irrational thought in every audiophile who drinks a cup. Be sure to post the video on YouTube or at ASR so we can see it. 

I promise to apologize to you for this post as soon as you do so. 

To me, this forum used to be a place where the traditional audiophile "influencers" had no power.  And that, more than anything else, made it a place I looked forward to visiting.

This purge marks the end of that era.  With the restrictions on irrational thought now lifted, the forum will be fertile ground for the traditional influencers.

Tell you what:  When Scoggins becomes a regular poster here again, I'll be happy to give you the opportunity to apologize.  🙂

13 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

To me, this forum used to be a place where the traditional audiophile "influencers" had no power.  And that, more than anything else, made it a place I looked forward to visiting.

This purge marks the end of that era.  With the restrictions on irrational thought now lifted, the forum will be fertile ground for the traditional influencers.

Tell you what:  When Scoggins becomes a regular poster here again, I'll be happy to give you the opportunity to apologize.  🙂

Here comes from you the labels and pejorative descriptors again- "influencers," "purge," "irrational thought."  Must be hard when anyone that disagrees with your world view is "irrationaI."  At least it has been a while, though, since you accused someone being a "sock puppet" (something you persisted with with me for ages), a "shill," or an "astroturfer," whatever the heck that is.  This, to me, is exactly the type of tone and behavior that makes a forum suck.

You remain to me the most effective internet-forum jouster I have encountered.  It is highly developed!  Makes me nervous about responding to you as I never participated in the old "wild west internet." :)

You simply enjoyed your chosen "influencers," the "rational," who picked up their marbles and went home (and I wish they hadn't really).

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

2 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

This has nothing to do with rational or irrational thought, and everything to do with rational and irrational behavior. If you can't parse that then I'm truly sorry for you and perhaps, as CC might say, you need to move on and find your fulfillment elsewhere.

IMO CC was being entirely diplomatic when he said mansr's contributions would be missed, because as long as I've been around here I haven't seen him contribute one single thing beyond one liner snark and naysaying. Pretty easy to rack up 13,000 posts when that's one's m.o. My prediction is the "objectivists" thread is going to be a very lonely place, because more often than not they have their rigid, marked in stone stance, but very little to back it up  - i.e. prove without a doubt why ethernet cables absolutely couldn't make a difference in sound, vs always haranguing those who hear a difference to prove why they do. Repeated, empty phrases about 'science' and 'measurements' is just another flip side of subjectivism if you ask me. Maybe it comes down to obstinance vs curiosity. I'll always choose the side of curiosity - it's what I try and teach my children. 

Amen!

Also, doesn't anyone remember Chris describing the members as the most impressive collection on the fora as he defended them against outside "influencer" attackers?  Rocket scientists, engineering pioneers, etc?  He was being sincere!

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

1 minute ago, charlesphoto said:

This has nothing to do with rational or irrational thought, and everything to do with rational and irrational behavior.

I think we just have different definitions of what that behavior might be.

"please don't let anyone make be feel stupid" is a pretty irrational thought IMHO.  "please purge the forum of everyone who makes me feel stupid" crosses the line to behavior. YMMV, of course.

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

"please don't let anyone make be feel stupid" is a pretty irrational thought IMHO.  "please purge the forum of everyone who makes me feel stupid" crosses the line to behavior. YMMV, of course.

Lord help us.  It never ends.

3 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

Here comes from you the labels and pejorative descriptors again- "influencers,"

I remember meeting you when you came to support Lavorgna after he was banned.  I also remember you used your work experience with mentally disabled people to offer armchair diagnoses of forum members.  Good times!

Please, can we please get some of that wisdom in this thread?  It's just what's needed!

8 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

I think CC was  very, very tolerant for years. But it has taken its toll over time. IMO, recent changes were more about trying to avoid anything like a purge. He did and does not want to lose the members that have left, but a moderator must insist on some good faith effort to cooperate. And that is at the very least.

You have been waiting for this day for some time.  Enjoy it.  Heck, revel in your complete victory over those rude people you detest so very much.  You won!

2 minutes ago, Allan F said:

You really need to give your head a shake if you actually believe that Jud is trolling. Coming from one so adamant in supporting the unfettered right to "challenge", it strikes me as the epitome of hypocrisy.

I'm pretty sure you have been nothing but antagonistic towards me since my very first post here.  With due respect, your opinion is meaningless to me.

10 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I remember meeting you when you came to support Lavorgna after he was banned.  I also remember you used your work experience with mentally disabled people to offer armchair diagnoses of forum members.  Good times!

Please, can we please get some of that wisdom in this thread?  It's just what's needed!

I wasn't supporting Lavorgna.  Heck, you thought I was Lavorgna and were part of a grand inquisition about it!

What bothered me was the name-calling and abuse from behind an anonymous screen name.  To call another man a coward (not necessarily by you or to him, but several others) is just unfathomable to me.

I will concede victory to you now.  I am beginning to feel too feisty and don't want to go down that road again.

I hope you find happiness in your future pursuits,

Bill

7 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm pretty sure you have been nothing but antagonistic towards me since my very first post here.  With due respect, your opinion is meaningless to me.

The inclusion of "with due respect" is another clear example of hypocrisy. Be that as it may, I couldn't care less what you think of my opinions. While written in reply, my post was intended for a wider audience.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

5 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

What bothered me was the name-calling and abuse from behind an anonymous screen name.  To call another man a coward (not necessarily him, but several others) is just unfathomable to me.

You might be mixed up and this was an extremely awkward attempt to call me a coward (anonymous screen name?).  Show me where I called someone a coward, please.