IGNORED

My response to "Boycott the sub-forum"

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Why would you stay somewhere you don’t like?

I might be a jerk.

I might think my being here improves the place even though I don't like it.

I might be a plain old contrarian.

I might be crazy.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

35 minutes ago, opus101 said:

I find it fascinating that the OP has drawn up a dichotomy between 'true believers' and 'rational thinkers'. Looking at actions (rather than rhetoric) its the 'objective' side that's been behaving like their religion has been insulted.

The irony of those objectivists, who refuse to accept a reasonable code of civil conduct, presenting themselves as victims is truly palpable.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Just a comment on the result of alienating and chasing away those who could actually contribute to this conversation with anything but a blank agreement. 

I fail to see why we should need to do that in a forum area that should no longer be needed given that those who most contributed to the demand for this separate forum area are no longer here, when Chris has given stern warnings that this kind of behaviour will no longer be tolerated from any member (myself included) , and that we must abide by the forum rules, which includes not posting in a thread where you know that your type of reply is not wanted by the OP. 

I don't like the idea of Paul , Dennis etc. feeling that their input is no longer valued here.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

18 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

took a quick look at the Objective-Fi sub-forum and didn't find much objective data in there...yet

I noticed the same too. It's as if people feel the need to post there instead of ,say, the General Forum area in order to hear the other side of the discussion. The OP of a thread should make clear the direction he wishes his thread to take if it's not meant to be a general discussion involving both camps.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

25 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

I would love to see some sort of absolute truths or bullet points about audio/computer engineering per se.  Like digital cables can't sound different and here is why. There could be an entire encyclopedia of sorts on all aspects of audio.  This could be a reference for those to research and learn.  This would be a massive undertaking but could be used to direct people to the information that are being discussed.

Another thought would be place here that has direct links to papers, books ect.. on these subjects.  Like digital cables can't sound different, here's the link to why and a great discussion can be found here.  Again some sort of alphabetical sorting would help.  The objectivists, I would imagine, since for many this is their background, should have numerous resources to direct us to these links and or maybe they have a better way of describing to us why these things are what they are.   

The forums here are great, but I'm all about the New Front Page Content that has dramatically increased over the past year, great Job @The Computer Audiophile

Such resources would be far more convincing than tawdry mocking. As a starting point for my own illumination I would love to know what the *real* experts say. Nobody in their right mind takes an ulterior assertion at face value.

proof.jpg

22 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

While I completely agree, I suspect this ship has already sailed.  Look at all the polite posts made by the polite people celebrating (politely, of course) the conquest of those rude rational thinkers!

CC took the gloves off completely, so this thread is an exercise in utter futility IMHO.  CC believes without reservation that the "true believers" should never be made to feel uncomfortable or have to justify their irrational beliefs.  I don't think there's anything else to be said.  And let's not beat around the bush, True Believers spend way more money than rational thinkers.  Despite CC's protestations, having a forum that never challenges irrational thought will be a draw to the True Believers, and that's clearly where the money is.

All that's left is for Quint to pop in and declare that Chris made the right decision, and Scoggins will be suddenly unbanned and all will be forgiven.  I wouldn't be surprised if Chris actually apologizes.

This is the new day that has dawned here.  Let them sing "ding, dong, the witch is dead" to their heart's content.  It's not the witch that died, but they'll never believe that.

Best to just boycott the forum completely I think.

Are you saying that the process of comparative listening, and investigating differences in various systems is somehow "irrational?"

43 minutes ago, firedog said:

Many objectivists would say that sighted listening comparisons are irrational, as your conclusions from them are unreliable, by definition. 

@firedog

Thank you for answering.

I think that what you write is 100% correct: does that necessarily lead to the next step in the objective thought process that comparative listeners are irrational "fools" that objectivists should not be made to suffer? So, not only wrong? And, doubly wrong that somehow irrational "fools" are treated with equality?

@TheComputerAudiophile: Do you perform metrics on what sub-forums are most popular on Audiophile Style?