IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

So “half-off” would make the yet-to-be-produced Ultimatum Infinity power cable $9,000 instead of $18,000, and the speaker cable $11,000 instead of $22,000?  Wow, what a bargain! x-D You know, normally I’d sell my house for $2mil., but for the next 30 days I’m offering it for half-off.  It’s based on a stock ranch-house build design, but over the decades I’ve done some special “treatments” that I can’t explain to you, but trust me you’ll love it.  And your Ultimatum cables will sound great in your new home.

[Edit: Oh wait, the QSA page says that only the Revelation line is being offered at 50% off. The Infinity line is being offered at the Revelation line price—for a limited time only.  So that’s $12K for the power cord and $15K for the speaker cables.  Better hurry before they are all gone! :ph34r:]

@Superdadthanks for pointing out my oversight. You know that you have always been brilliant for catching these types of things 🙏 but for a wealthy guy like me, its not really a big deal for the price I have to pay for all my cables at roughly $125k for my 2-channel listening pleasure.

On a side note, I just calculated in my head how many hungry children around the world can be feed with that kind of money and its just mind boggling.

yeah I'm wary as well...

I looked up some stuff and found a reference to a computer repair company previously located in Brussles which relocated  2013 to the address they are using for the cables...a house 1out in the middle of nowhere in the Ardennes. Now I DO get cottage industry and all that but even the marketing lingo is lame at best IMO;

Metal Molecular Activation Technology (MAT)

Musical Metal molecule Alignment Technology (MMAT)

Skin Deep Compensation Technology (SDCT)

Ultimately all of that does not matter if it works and folks are willing to shell out the disgusting amounts of money they are asking, it's just that I won't be one of them. 

(I suspect it's a cable burn in treatment at best, something like putting 100KV through a cable)

and no this is not to make me feel better, I'm just sceptical of the claims that are being made by folks as they are a bit too haphazerd. 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

With everyone (many from this forum) who's heard the results of this treatment, and you can call it whatever you want, there is something there.  30 day money back makes try before you buy an easy decision, unless they pull a PH Designs.  My only question which will not be answered soon, is will whatever this treatment is last or does it diminish?  Is it like car wax or is it a permanent change?

46 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

(I suspect it's a cable burn in treatment at best, something like putting 100KV through a cable)

Why has nobody brought up the possibility (likelihood) that the QSA "process" is a cryogenic treatment?  
There are many variations of such and if done correctly it is highly audible and effective. Long ago I worked with a firm specializing in it. They offered their services and proprietary process (rate of cooling, final coldest temp., how long at that temp., then how long and rate of bringing back up to room temp.) to golf club manufacturers, cutting tool makers, drum kit cymbal and drum head/rim assemblies, and to audio manufacturers. It was great, but when done on cables (or capacitors) with Teflon insulation, it would double or triple the already exceedingly long time that Teflon takes to "burn-in."

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Why has nobody brought up the possibility (likelihood) that the QSA "process" is a cryogenic treatment?  
There are many variations of such and if done correctly it is highly audible and effective. Long ago I worked with a firm specializing in it. They offered their services and proprietary process (rate of cooling, final coldest temp., how long at that temp., then how long and rate of bringing back up to room temp.) to golf club manufacturers, cutting tool makers, drum kit cymbal and drum head/rim assemblies, and to audio manufacturers. It was great, but when done on cables (or capacitors) with Teflon insulation, it would double or triple the already exceedingly long time that Teflon takes to "burn-in."

I have had vacuum tubes treated cryogenically and used cryogenically treated wire in DC cables.  There is no question the vacuum tubes benefited from it in a positive way.  The QSA treatments are giving results on an entirely different level.  While that may be a part of the process, I believe there is more to it.

In regard to questions about longevity, has anyone ever heard complaints of cables treated with high voltage (such as those made by Synergistic Research, among others) losing their performance?  I have not.  I raise the question because most people (including myself) are assuming that sort of treatment is part of the QSA process.

16 minutes ago, Superdad said:

probably because I was the only one offering a theoretical underlying 'treatment'?

Cryo is also possible yet I expect that other cable companies tried that, if the result would be earth shattering it would be around. I have some cryo treated stuff and there is a result but it's not something I'd describe the way this is being written about 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

4 hours ago, di-fi said:

First of all my reaction was to the @seeteeyoupost in this thread quoting this. It was almost off topic

Almost OT, huh?

Weren't you missing the whole point of my post, maybe issues with comprehension or something? Getting too emotional or what?

I quoted @romaz simply because of borrowing his own (among similar ones from the others as well) experiences as an example, nothing more than that.

The whole point was already mentioned in my post back then while @Nenon also talked about it

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58164-building-a-diy-music-server/page/206/#comment-1233378  

On 2/28/2023 at 4:25 AM, Nenon said:

I am doing my own experiments with QSA as well, such as treated capacitors, chokes, and transformers, but those will take more time. 

More importantly, WS C621E SAGE / Optane 900P / RAM / DC DC-ATX / Network Card / TACDA & TACDD DAC & Interface etc. could also be potential candidates

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/qsa-lanedri-series.36078/page-11#post-857677

It just means the Extreme needs to up its game and get QSA'd.

I still don't understand why some of us would get so worked up, duh.

How about moving those genuinely OT posts to a separate thread? LOL

1 hour ago, auricgoldfinger said:

The way I see it, everyone here and at WBF who is predisposed against the QSA Lanedri cables due to price, voodoo technology, or similar offenses will simply claim any new positive user reviews are a result of mass psychosis or expectation bias or whatever.  So, everyone gets to feel good about themselves for being right no matter the actual outcome!

I think no one who is trying to be open minded should be predisposed due to price or « voodoo » technology (or maybe let’s call it a process we do not understand right away). This would not be happening the first time in (high end) audio. Maybe one can try to understand what is going on first before jumping to conclusions?
That’s usually what’s happening here at AS I thought ;-)

20 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Weren't you missing the whole point of my post

Exactly, I only read you first paragraph and jumped to WBF. Sorry I read the rest of your post later and it was very much worth it (as usual).
No insult intended though. 

21 minutes ago, di-fi said:

I think no one who is trying to be open minded should be predisposed due to price or « voodoo » technology (or maybe let’s call it a process we do not understand right away). This would not be happening the first time in (high end) audio. Maybe one can try to understand what is going on first before jumping to conclusions?
That’s usually what’s happening here at AS I thought ;-)

I guess my reading comprehension skills have deteriorated because I'm not seeing much open-mindedness in this discussion.

36 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I guess my reading comprehension skills have deteriorated because I'm not seeing much open-mindedness in this discussion.

Sorry, maybe I am missing the point but what is there to discuss ? Manufacturer has closed lipped his technology, so not much can be discussed on the tech. Moreover, its a Belden/Blue Jean cables they are using underlying, so that's not much to discuss there either. The only thing one can do is to buy it and audition it in their system with 30 days trial, provided there isn't any hidden fees associated with it. What more can you ask ? I have recently bought some Japanese branded power cable and there wasn't any returns option but fortunately I liked the cable. Having said that, with any new products, especially when the prices are on the higher side and when known members are endorsing it heavily, it's going to churn some discussions. There is nothing new in it. It has happened in the past and will happen in the future. So folks who have vested interest will have to deal with it.

57 minutes ago, Dev said:

Sorry, maybe I am missing the point but what is there to discuss ? (...) There is nothing new in it. It has happened in the past and will happen in the future.

Since you asked the question, not sure you are interested, but for everyone else:

(...) I guess most are familiar with the fable of the Philosophers Stone…..essentially the tale of the ancient Alchemists’ search for a stone (ingredient) that would turn base metals into Gold. Well apparently QSA-Lanedri have found the audiophile equivalent, which I believe is worthy of some discussion. (...)

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/qsa-lanedri-and-the-audiophile-version-of-the-philosophers’-stone.36426/

13 minutes ago, di-fi said:

Since you asked the question, not sure you are interested, but for everyone else:

(...) I guess most are familiar with the fable of the Philosophers Stone…..essentially the tale of the ancient Alchemists’ search for a stone (ingredient) that would turn base metals into Gold. Well apparently QSA-Lanedri have found the audiophile equivalent, which I believe is worthy of some discussion. (...)

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/qsa-lanedri-and-the-audiophile-version-of-the-philosophers’-stone.36426/

I saw that thread earlier too and read with great interest. I believe there is nothing wrong in discussing it. However, its all speculation and will be for the foreseeable future unless manufacturer comes out openly (or is open-minded 😜 in discussing it's tech).  

24 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

@di-firespectfully, the way to encourage an open sharing of experiences is not by passive aggressively impuning the motivations or loyalties or integrity those that share impressions.

My comments were to Romaz and where he comes from.  He judged them as fair and replied instantly (on WBF). It has been dealt with. I do not know you, it wasn’t addressed to you.

I visit audio forums because I simply cannot try all products myself, I helps me  advance in audio, I think most visitors do. So sharing your QSA experience is greatly appreciated.

I have nothing against expensive audio products, it’s just not in my range. I will be the first to try if there is an affordable DIY version and I am as interested as you in how this develops.

all the discussion about the QSA technology is baseless speculation,

If that’s your point of view then try not to read it ;-)

especially considering the most vocal critics appear to have no intention of trying a cable.  How can they accurately assess something of this nature without having any first-hand experience? 

No one is criticizing the QSA cables as far as I know (“not believing” is different and I am not interested). First hand experiences are slowly coming in, it’s a new product after all. But it has a steep price so not accessible or desired by everyone. 

I see it similar to that I do not need to possess an Extreme to enjoy its evolution and what can be learned from that. But I can have an exchange with Emile without upsetting him.

1 hour ago, Rovo said:

To me it seems the big question is if the "effort" (cost in time, equipment, energy bills, etc.) QSA Lanedri put into their cables has a reasonable relationship with the price of their products. At the moment people are willing to pay the relatively high prices because of the end result. And QSA Lanedri is the only one able to supply such an end result. But without knowing anything about their "process" the nagging question is if the price they ask is "realistic". I think this triggers the emotion button with a lot of people. 

They’re willing to pay, in part because there is a 30 day trial period.  If buyer thinks it doesn’t perform equal to the cost, he or she can return it.

10 hours ago, ray-dude said:

My training is in electrical engineering/semiconductor physics/quantum effect electronics so this is particularly frustrating for me (I don't even have speculation to offer or hypotheses to test at this point)

From a DIY perspective do you think cryogenic treatment while degaussing at the same time could lead to a similar improvement on copper conductors? It seems the US Navy has been degaussing their copper cables/conductors for years to improve efficiency by up to 90%. The attached article even gives a blueprint for building such a machine to perform this treatment on cables: 1.2908558

I ask in hopes that someday the DIY community could improve our own cables and devices for the advancement of music enjoyment.