IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

40 minutes ago, flowcharts said:

USB won't work for a firmware update unfortunately

thanks !! that allows me to stop looking!

Just found out that my Thinkpad has an M.2 slot...but just one...

forget it, should work on the server when i connect the keyboard mouse and screen....the process uses a bootable USB stick, so all I need to do is follow the steps and change boot order to USB and reboot.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

20 hours ago, flowcharts said:

Samsung PM893 recommended by Antipodes is better than an 870 Evo, and it was pretty obvious

Samsung PM893 SSD is known to raise sound quality significantly in all Antipodes servers/players (up to their best US$ 25K server) always connected with SATA cable to the server board.

What is your setup to get this obvious improvement for playing local files from PM893 over SATA ?
Did you / can you compare with sound quality of files stored on the Samsung 890pro? or any other local NVMe/M.2 drive?

Your setup:

Music flac? files installed on Samsung PM893 what size?

connected with a SATA cable? or as external drive over USB? on NAS?

to what mobo?

that functions as server/ player?

under what OS? installed on the Samsung 890pro 

thanks for the details :-)

20 minutes ago, di-fi said:

Samsung pm893 is known to raise sound quality significantly in all Antipodes servers/players (up to their best server) always connected with SATA cables to the server board.

What is your setup to get this obvious improvement for playing local files over SATA ?
Did you / can you compare with sound quality of files stored on the Samsung 890pro? or other local NVMe/M.2 drive?

Your setup:

Music flac? files installed on Samsung PM893 what size?

connected with a SATA cable? or as external drive over USB? on NAS?

to what mobo?

that functions as server/ player?

under what OS? installed on the Samsung 890pro 

thanks for the details :-)

My only comparison point was an 870 Evo via sata-- I don't have any spare m.2/pcie space on my current z590 itx (besides the wifi slot).  The 893 i'm using is 3.84tb, connected via sata, externally powered by a plixir bdc w/ ghent gotham cabling externally, and neotech internally.  Also using an Elfidelity SATA filter, and Techflex flexo anti-stat shielding on the power & data cables. 

Flac files, for Roon + HQPlayer pcm upsampling, functioning as both server/player on win10.

35 minutes ago, flowcharts said:

My only comparison point was an 870 Evo via sata-- I don't have any spare m.2/pcie space on my current z590 itx (besides the wifi slot).  The 893 i'm using is 3.84tb, connected via sata, externally powered by a plixir bdc w/ ghent gotham cabling externally, and neotech internally.  Also using an Elfidelity SATA filter, and Techflex flexo anti-stat shielding on the power & data cables. 

Flac files, for Roon + HQPlayer pcm upsampling, functioning as both server/player on win10.

Great the PM893 worked out so well for you. Maybe before installing a Revelation M.2 you seem to be considering ;-)

could/would/should you compare with sound quality of files stored on the Samsung 890pro?

I just mention that because no one here in this thread would even consider using  a SATA SSD because in their experience NVMe sounds better. I absolutely do believe your and Antipodes’ good results though. It’s an interesting data point. 

9 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Not sure if anybody were able to grasp the enormity of these experiences shared by @romaz recently?

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/qsa-lanedri-series.36078/page-2#post-847711

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/qsa-lanedri-series.36078/page-8#post-855877

As good as the SGM Extreme is, at this point, my nVidia TV Shield Pro, this $200 piece of gear that has no right to be fed data from an expensive QSA Gamma Infinity LAN cable and powered by a Paul Hynes SR4 LPSU with QSA Silver fuse and a Gamma Infinity power cord was outperforming a $30k music server that I consider to be the best in the world. Compared to the Extreme, the nVidia device sounded a touch more forward than I would like but otherwise, dynamics, sound staging, air, clarity, and tone were either on par or better than the Extreme now. It was bad enough that until I got the Spectra back yesterday, I had decided to shut down the Extreme.

😲 I will definately need some time to digest that statement.

18 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

😲 I will definately need some time to digest that statement.

me too, and would like to see that replicated by someone with another extreme just to make sure nothing is wrong with that one. N=1 and all that

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

30 minutes ago, Toymanmark said:

My Temps on my dual 4210 across all 20 cores according to Euphony v4 range from 32-38 degrees. This is after playing music for hours on end! This is Stylus alone with no upsampling! Yes this is in the Taiko case. Curious what temps you are getting?

I also wanted to thank you for your heroic efforts on reviewing so many power supplies. It helped tremendously in picking my path.

All I can say is a Sean Jacobs based supply I built is incredible. I did 3 x 5 volt rails for Network card USB card and the OS m.2 femto card.

Hi Toymanmark,

Are the values quoted in Degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? If they are in Fahrenheit, then they are very low compared to mine. My Roon  / HQPlayer Server has been playing music for the last 8 hours (Oversampling to 384 / 32 PCM) and both CPU's have been running at approx. 60 Degrees Celsius.

I can live with the 60 Degrees but feel it could be improved. Are you using the Taiko supplied Heatpipes or something else?    

32 F is the freezing point of water ;-) Pretty sure that are temps in Celsius.

IME lower is better, the sonic difference between 55'C and 40'C is real in my server.

10 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

32 F is the freezing point of water ;-) Pretty sure that are temps in Celsius.

Good one! Someone wasn’t thinking ;-)

Completely agree on the lower the better. Trying to figure out if I did a poor job with my cooling setup or if the DIY Chassis is working as designed.

6 minutes ago, di-fi said:

I have a problem with Romaz being the audiophile we all know for many years of sharing his subjective experiences (I have various Romaz pages bookmarked). He is a leader having many followers. A very inspiring audiophile to follow because of very detailed experiences he shares with the community.

Now suddenly he pops up on a commercial WBF page heavily promoting very expensive cables (in the ++ US$ 1000 range) that according to Romaz make a US $200 device sound better than a US$ 30K Extreme (does it sound to good to be true?). Also according to him all thoses cables sound better than anything else because of a secret cable treatment that Romaz knows together with the owner of QSE. No detailed Romaz style reviews / descriptions and trials this time, a few paragraphs only.

Romaz also seems to have acces to all these cables and he can even have his personal cables treated as well at QSE. He also designed himself a few of thoses new cables. Orders currently seem to come in by the hundreds without listening (30 day trial). People order 5 or 6 cables at the same time adding up to $10k or $20k orders. The new owner just bought the business in 2021.

This makes me wonder what exactly is Romaz commercial interest in this? He made it very clear he is sharing his promotional talk in a specific WBF commerical segment paid for by QSE. Confusing for me and apparently also for  @kennyb123&@Blackmorec who he kind of aggressively accused of trying to get to understand this secret cable treatment. Now they, as I was, thought they were talking to the @romaz we all know , but this almost seems an other Romaz (II) strictly talking about QSE in this commercial segment of WBF and as far as I know not anywhere else where we usually can exchange with Romaz (I). I find this very confusing. It seems to me he used his (well known) name Romaz , maybe unwillingly, to help facilitate the sale of QSE cables. We'll see how this develops, maybe I am wrong but I find it a little awkward.

I have my doubts too...smells of snake oil or it's April closing in pretty fast?

33 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

Completely agree on the lower the better. Trying to figure out if I did a poor job with my cooling setup or if the DIY Chassis is working as designed.

My experience has been slightly different - I find that every component has an optimal temperature range that it performs the best. In my case, which includes the motherboard/cpu/ram combo, sounds its best at 38-44deg C. Anything lower or higher, has an impact on the sound. This is probably why in my setup running Euphony v4, Roon and Stylus doesn't sound too drastically different as some claims it does it their setup.

6 minutes ago, Dev said:

how is a commercial product part of a DIY thread ? 

IMO since DIY is also using commercial products? I'd love being able to draw my own UPOCC copper but will leave at buying it ;-)

1 minute ago, Dev said:

My experience has been slightly different - I find that every component has an optimal temperature range that it performs the best. In my case, which includes the motherboard/cpu/ram combo, sounds its best at 38-44deg C. Anything lower or higher, has an impact on the sound. This is probably why in my setup running Euphony v4, Roon and Stylus doesn't sound too drastically different as some claims it does it their setup.

agree, I was referring to that combo but indeed there are other items that have a different sound optimum temperature

48 minutes ago, Dev said:

I have nothing against discussing it (as a matter of fact, it should be) but discussion it over here pollutes this thread.

You are right, sorry if I got taken away a little by the subject. Actually I follow WBF usually only because of Taiko / Extreme developments. But I remember once here I reproached Nenon (an other influencer for that matter) putting a negative verdict towards a certain LPS manufacturer without trying/hearing it first. This 'wearing of two hats' happens, even here. I just copied my observation to WBF (could not edit anymore the previous post).

good to know that not using a fuse is great for sound AND saves 5K ;-)

without any info on a 'treatment' NOS (not otherwise specified) I'm wary, for sure there are things that work (heck I'm doing some crazy stuff in my own builds) yet the claims that were made are kindof incredible...if it sounds too good to be true and all that...