IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

1 hour ago, drjimwillie said:

You have to love all of this excitement.  
We really are a bunch of kids and finding out that Santa Claus might really exist is exciting. 

finding out how this stuff works is one thing but, the other thing is finding out where you fit into it personally. 

I am in to DIY because I cannot afford these Uber expensive products but, overtime with a lot of sweat equity. Maybe I will get close. 

The comment that stuck out to me, the most was that by using the QSA LAN cable and the QSA LAN Jitter made the inexpensive product sound like the Uber expensive product. When I looked at the prices of the QSA products, I realized that they are out of my reach, except for some of the fuses and maybe the LAN cable??  But my gut feeling is that all of the other treated cables were already in the system before the LAN cable was added??  And the effect was cumulative. Thinking like a scientist, how is this even possible? I can understand power cables, and signal cables, all working toward the instantaneous supply of power to the speakers, but the LAN cable?? I do own a Sablon audio ethernet cable, so I can someone understand. 
But, what is this QSA LAN Jitter, I cannot find any information on it. 

Would I even know the difference if I heard it. Sometime, I don’t know if what I am hearing is confirmation bias, or if it is real. I trust all of you and I learn from your experiences and I try to replicate what you do. Sometimes I just trust.  

Now onto things that I can somewhat understand.  Last night I improved the grounding to my main panel, and I believe it improved the sound.

I have (2) 6AWG cables running 220V from a 60 amp breaker (6AWG ground in a separate conduit), to a 115 pound powersure 800 transformer which drops the 220 V down to 110V, the power from the transformer runs 5 feet to my custom plug mold with Hubble industrial outlets, which have (2) 10AWG hot and (2) 10 AWG Neutral, and a  10 AWG ground, to each duplex outlet. 

I have never liked the way my main electrical panel was grounded. It has a good size ground connected to the Watermain. It has a 8AWG wire, connecting to a ground rod, and then to the gas hook up.  It has always seemed undersized to me.

now, a slight glimpse into the psychosis of an audiophile. 
Background story: the other day my daughter dropped her earbud down the drain of the sink in the only bathroom that I have not remodeled. When I took the trap off it disintegrated. I have now been back to the plumbing store three times as each piece of plumbing I have touched has disintegrated. With a bathroom, full of tools and supplies, my wife said to me, why don’t you call a plumber, you hate plumbing. All of us DIY people know the Folly and pain of such a comment Ha ha. The bright side is that during one of my trips past the electrical supply house I bought a 10 foot copper ground rod, and some 6AWG wire. Once again, not able to continue my plumbing project because the tool I purchased to remove the drain did not fit into it, I was at a standstill. When my wife suddenly left the house to go to a dentist appointment, I grabbed my large right angle drill and drilled a hole through the foundation. I did not want to deal with the questions that would have been asked from all of that noise I was making. 

I hooked up the ground and went to listen to some music.

It sounded more immediate. The dynamics sounded better. The base sounded more dimensional. Was I imagining it? Was it confirmation bias? I don’t know. I was excited and I liked it. 
This brings me back to the point I made earlier, where I’ll trust all of you. Because I am not sure if I can trust my own ears.

I could go back to the panel and disconnect the ground, but it was a bit difficult to install, and I am not sure if what ever nasty’s were dissipated would immediately accumulate again?

I will run another ground cable out to the existing ground rod. I am not sure if I should hook the two ground rods together? Or if I should daisychain another ground rod to the new one I put in?

I have to trust my own ears, because I do not have any friends to give a rats ass about my stereo system.  It is a bit of a quandary.

this brings me back to the QSA, I bought one of their fuses and I liked it over my stock fuse. I trust what the others here are hearing in their systems. 

I don’t want to be product bashing with this next question, but where I start to lose some of my confidence in QSA is when they put jewels on the outside of their receptacles. 
Does anyone have any idea how these jewels could be contributing to the product?

If possible, use 0 AWG wire to your main ground rod.  Also, the thicker the ground rod, the better (at least 3/4").  You might want to consult an electrician before connecting your existing ground rods to be sure you are code compliant and are not creating an electrical hazard.  That said, you can improve grounding performance by connecting multiple ground rods.  They have to be something like 5' or 6' apart from each other (at a minimum).  I'm sure you can find some good resources online.  I don't have any handy.

The QSA jewels tune the sound.  Synergistic Research has a similar product (https://www.synergisticresearch.com/isolation/accessories/carbon-tuning-disks/)  It sounds hokey, but people can hear a difference when used in the right places (which varies by system and component).  I have no idea how or why they work.

6 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

1. "Stock" SGM Extreme with original PSU
  2. "Stock" SGM Extreme with BPS
  3. Internally QSA'd SGM Extreme with original PSU
  4. Internally QSA'd SGM Extreme with BPS
  5. Externally + Internally QSA'd SGM Extreme with original PSU
  6. Externally + Internally QSA'd SGM Extreme with BPS

(...) how much do we REALLY need to spend (...)

Better prepare to adjust this in a couple months already because then it could possibly be :

7. ''SGM Extreme connected with DAC cable to new Switch (Extreme processor offload) and new Router'' all QSA'd''.

8. (7) with the new proprietary USB replacement (new standard).

Ooops, forgot Emile seems to have worked out a new way of connecting between Router and SGM to be introduced soon (but I doubt this can be QSA'd).

Good times ahead.

SOTM SCLK-ex…

It’s supplied with a SATA adapter to power the board, but it seems to me that this is just for convenient connection, and besides Taiko ATX doesn’t come with a Sata power cable, just a 4 pin (2 x 2) SATA collector.

Anyone else fashioned a cable to power SCLK  direct from Taiko ATX SATA output?

What connector, crimps and crimp tool do I need?

D3578A50-4BAB-4B5B-9030-DE0DDE5C6949.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

SOTM SCLK-ex…

It’s supplied with a SATA adapter to power the board, but it seems to me that this is just for convenient connection, and besides Taiko ATX doesn’t come with a Sata power cable, just a 4 pin (2 x 2) SATA collector.

Anyone else fashioned a cable to power SCLK  direct from Taiko ATX SATA output?

What connector, crimps and crimp tool do I need?

D3578A50-4BAB-4B5B-9030-DE0DDE5C6949.jpeg

What are you clocking with the sCLK?

1 minute ago, Johnseye said:

What are you clocking with the sCLK?

SoTM q370… going to look at external clocks in due course.

I might have found it, if Taiko ATX is the same as HDPlex then it uses Molex Mini-Fit Jr, 4.2 pitch.  I don’t know the smaller connector type on the SCLK-ex though?

7 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

SoTM q370… going to look at external clocks in due course.

I might have found it, if Taiko ATX is the same as HDPlex then it uses Molex Mini-Fit Jr, 4.2 pitch.  I don’t know the smaller connector type on the SCLK-ex though?

Oh you have the Q370. Nice, please let me know how you like it.  SOtM will sell you an adapter to power the sCLK externally if you want.  From the Taiko ATX, I'm not sure, never tried that.

The SotM SCLK-ex arrived configured for 9v in.  Yet the SATA power adaptor takes 12v in, and only a cap, no resistor to drop output…

So to directly wire from Taiko ATX as 12v I’d need to remove an internal jumper for 12v operation.  But then I’d be nervous about excluding the cap that the SATA power adapter includes.

@MayfromSOtM can you advise?

51B553F2-FD6E-40F0-A7C1-DB0DD3E870E1.jpeg

4 hours ago, AngeloVRA said:

Hi @Gavin1977

The DC power IN cable connector for the SCLK EX is a Molex  0050375023 with crimp terminals 0008701039

You can use the PCIE output on the Taiko ATX. That is 8 pins, 4 pairs of 12v and Ground. 9F0F50C0-1239-4208-9FE8-EC6830143D53.jpeg.abeef1aa5d03d664eb13de313f71961b.jpeg

I power my SCLK-EX with an external 12V PH DR7T. I use the PCIE output of Taiko ATX for the internal SATA power cable for the SNI-1G which is required even when externally powering it. 

923FB824-C952-4D45-A2AB-252F79C644F2.thumb.jpeg.9db6ca46ff7460e553e1867b09df58df.jpeg

Hope that helps

Angelo

Beautiful build!

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

6 hours ago, AngeloVRA said:

Hi @Gavin1977

The DC power IN cable connector for the SCLK EX is a Molex  0050375023 with crimp terminals 0008701039

You can use the PCIE output on the Taiko ATX. That is 8 pins, 4 pairs of 12v and Ground. 9F0F50C0-1239-4208-9FE8-EC6830143D53.jpeg.abeef1aa5d03d664eb13de313f71961b.jpeg

I power my SCLK-EX with an external 12V PH DR7T. I use the PCIE output of Taiko ATX for the internal SATA power cable for the SNI-1G which is required even when externally powering it. 

923FB824-C952-4D45-A2AB-252F79C644F2.thumb.jpeg.9db6ca46ff7460e553e1867b09df58df.jpeg

Hope that helps

Angelo

Nice work Angelo!

12 hours ago, SK8 said:

Interesting....

How would you describe the differences in sonic performance between the Extreme and the DIY WS621E? What OS and software are you running on the DIY WS621E?

In additional to this - can you share some details about the slabs of wood you’re using for vibration control? 😎

I plan on using Celeron, sp d; 1400

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

3 hours ago, Exocer said:

In additional to this - can you share some details about the slabs of wood you’re using for vibration control? 😎

3 minutes ago, di-fi said:

I think I recognised two IKEA cutting boards. I cut open an IKEA APTITLIG bamboo plywood after I put each speaker stand on a board and something seemed to sound off. I changed for much heavier Panzerwood with very obvious diffrences. Hope this is helpful.

• Density bamboo plywood : 650-850 kg / m3
  • IKEA APTITLIG bamboo plywood: 400 kg / m3 (my guess)
  • Panzerholz : 1350 - 1400 kg / m3

https://antipodes.support/t/isolation-of-network-equipment/1325/9?u=paulw

image_2023-03-06_161343907.png

I meant in addition*

Thanks @di-fi. I am trying to convince @BCRichto order a sheet of Panzerholz with me since we’re both in the tri-state area.

Would you say the ikea board is worth skipping in favor of the Panzerholz?

I have been eyeing these too:

US $60.45  7% Off | Rosewood  Solid Wood Amplifier CD Player Tube Preamp DAC Shock Absorber Speaker Isolator Pads Stand Base Bracket Support Rack
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPqTPF0

29 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Would you say the ikea board is worth skipping in favor of the Panzerholz?

110%! I put Panzerwood boards under; server, endpoint, dac and amp. Everyting became more quiet and precise. The next step is to make and install 3 feet à la Taiko Daiza for each board.  I am aware it will not become a Taiko Daiza but they will be better than without the feet. No regrets. 

When choosing the type of board or feet do some research what kind of vibration control you try to achieve. Emile explains on WBF how the Daiza work. Panzerholz boards absorb vibration, the feet have a minimal contact surface and are made of a copper disc and a tiny Panzerholz hollow foot with each a foam insert. They are as important as the board itself (and then there is an awesome CNC spiral cut I have to skip) . 

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/daiza-isolation-platform/