IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Mine is still sitting here, and I haven't had a chance to build it. My friend is coming for Axpona, and so I have time until April to build his server I guess. But I was planning to use an Oyaide IEC. Haven't looked at that part yet and haven't ordered one

14 minutes ago, BCRich said:

Lot’s of QC issues by the way. Disappointing to say the least. 

Can you share more? 

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

Hi Nenon, I think the FI-06 might fit, I ran into the same issue when I built that Carbon Fiber outlet box last year. Rob thinks the Oyaide might fit as well.

7 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Can you share more? 

So far I’ve had to retap screw holes, the holes for the feet in the bottom plate were not countersunk, had to re-drill to be able to attach the feet. Then the hole to mount to Noratel to the large inner plate is on the wrong end. The wires will not pass through the notch in the small inner plate. I can reverse it but than I loose the holes to attach the rear panel where the PCIe Slots are.

Check your PM…..

3 minutes ago, BCRich said:

So far I’ve had to retap screw holes, the holes for the feet in the bottom plate were not countersunk, had to re-drill to be able to attach the feet. Then the hole to mount to Noratel to the large inner plate is on the wrong end. The wires will not pass through the notch in the small inner plate. I can reverse it but than I loose the holes to attach the rear panel where the PCIe Slots are.

I know folks who ordered the 1st batch had issues. So wondering if these issues are with current production ? I was planning to order one but getting demotivated now. Do you have to rework a lot ? Just trying to figure out how much extra work as I have been starved of time these days.

30 minutes ago, Dev said:

Does anybody know how much RAM is Extreme using ?

48G (12 x 4G)

47 minutes ago, BCRich said:

the holes for the feet in the bottom plate were not countersunk

I had the same problem initially. But then I realized I had the bottom plate upside down (took me good 10-15 minutes scratching my head). That may not be your case but it's worth checking - are the feet holes on the bottom countersink? If they are, you might have done the same thing as me... if that's the case, flip the bottom plate, and some of the other pieces may come into place too. 

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

11 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I had the same problem initially. But then I realized I had the bottom plate upside down (took me good 10-15 minutes scratching my head). That may not be your case but it's worth checking - are the feet holes on the bottom countersink? If they are, you might have done the same thing as me... if that's the case flip the bottom plate, and some of the other pieces may come into place too. 

I was thinking the same but then if you flip the bottom plate the motherboard standup mounts might get messed up ?

3 hours ago, Nenon said:

48G (12 x 4G)

I had the same problem initially. But then I realized I had the bottom plate upside down (took me good 10-15 minutes scratching my head). That may not be your case but it's worth checking - are the feet holes on the bottom countersink? If they are, you might have done the same thing as me... if that's the case, flip the bottom plate, and some of the other pieces may come into place too. 

Both sides were the same. Ton confirmed there were some that were not properly drilled.

3 hours ago, Nenon said:

Everything went into place in my case. I guess I was reading the instructions upside down. 😅🤦‍♂️😂

Mine was one of the early cases that required an additional copper plate from Taiko to mount the Taiko DC - DC ATX card.  Taiko sent it out immediately, it (and everything else) fit perfectly.

Being able to mount the entire power supply in the same chassis as the motherboard is definitely the way to go for best SQ.

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

Is there somebody that is good with CAD that could design a riser for the lid of the HDPlex H5 PC case, and also make the backplate taller, to accommodate the Taiko USB card and the Taiko Dac in the HDplex case? Maybe send the CAD design to Modushop to make it? Is that even possible? It would be great to have the backplate accommodate a few full height cards and a few low profile cards vertically. The attached photos show the idea (minus the terrible drawn in lines).

IMG_9975.jpg

IMG_9978.jpg

1 hour ago, Dev said:

do you know if it runs 2400Mhz or 2666Mhz or something else ?

it's supposedly this stuff, I got 4 but they seem incompatible with my MB

image.thumb.jpeg.87b41b06c99c219f05c22a897d9b8b0c.jpeg

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

it's supposedly this stuff, I got 4 but they seem incompatible with my MB

Are you saying that is the exact RAM Taiko is using ? Or just replying to my question on the speed ?

What motherboard are you using ? This is a RDIMM and mostly works with server motherboards. For regular motherboards, you probably need UDIMM.

40 minutes ago, Dev said:

Are you saying that is the exact RAM Taiko is using ? Or just replying to my question on the speed ?

What motherboard are you using ? This is a RDIMM and mostly works with server motherboards. For regular motherboards, you probably need UDIMM.

they were sold to me as the 'real deal'Taiko is using...unable to verify that but also no reason to question that.

My MB is in my signature, Aorus x570, indeed using UDIMM....

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

@MarcelNL could you please measure the choke’s exact dimensions in millimeters please? I am looking if I can fit two in my case, plans keep changing. Thanks 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Just now, RickyV said:

@MarcelNL could you please measure the choke’s exact dimensions in millimeters please? I am looking if I can fit two in my case, plans keep changing. Thanks 

Sorry I cannot, as mine sit within an enclosure and I have to switch the beast off and dismantle it to open the case, AND not uninmportant...the mounts may change with the new ordered cores.

8 hours ago, SK8 said:

Just received VN180 I ordered 5 weeks ago. 87x94x85mm

Screenshot_20230209_224846_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b0b15d3b5aeaca0ff3e0678341e65356.jpgScreenshot_20230209_225140_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e15273a21af444343dd1d6e26f3c40dc.jpgScreenshot_20230209_225203_Gallery.thumb.jpg.30f75e10e818a778a38bdd7d517b2eb0.jpg

Thanks, but I was looking for the measurements from @MarcelNL chokes.

If I convert @lwr measurements of Marcel’s choke it’s 140x100x83mm so bigger then the Mundorf’s. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

15 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Thanks, but I was looking for the measurements from @MarcelNL chokes.

If I convert @lwr measurements of Marcel’s choke it’s 140x100x83mm so much bigger then the Mundorf’s. 

I am also curious. The VN180-10s consume a lot of space in my chassis with the current layout. If they’re significantly larger it will require a complete component re-org to fit them.