IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

22 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

and on another note, these appear fairly generic network settings...pretty sure I came across some of these when adjusting the firmware settings of the Solarflare card....lemme check... 

There is no such thing as general settings for a network card, all are purposeful and specific for each area of use,
And all values can both improve and degrade the sound

14 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Good one! Any heat issues with the Digitus Card and which SFP module are you using?

No heat problems,

I have never had any heat problems with Nic in either server or CAPS computers,
But I have exclusively used Intel Nic all these years
everything from 350, 520,540, 720 series both SFP and RJ45

5 hours ago, Nenon said:

1GbE

The Taiko NIC and switch combo sounds amazing, at least with the Taiko Extreme. IMO, this is the best product Taiko has released so far. But it's not just the NIC as a standalone product, but the whole package. I would not buy the NIC without the switch. The switch consumes less power than an OCXO clock when using a DAC cable. The combo significantly brings down the noise floor. It sounds more dynamic, more realistic, bass gets a lot better, etc.  

I have also suggested to a few people to look at the installation script and try some of those settings. There are equivalent settings for Linux as well. Surprised no one has posted about that yet :).

All settings from Takio NIC Script are applicable to almost all Intel Nic,

If you get too many red warnings when you run the Powershell script, remember that you must disconnect the Fiber/RJ45 connector from the network card, otherwise not all values will be changed,
And the easiest way to run the script is to change the file extension of the ps script to txt and open it with a text editor, then start cmd promt and then type powershell,
copy the script in script.txt and paste in the powershell cmd

13 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

most NIC cards are designed for server rooms...so they tend to run hot at ambient temp since server rooms are freezing cold...

I'm having to adapt the Solarflare x2522 with heatsink and heatpipes or it'll cut out in 5 minutes flat due to temp issues.

Would say so
Because there are lots of NICs that are meant for workstations and desktops that sit in the common office environment
And it's not that cold in a server hall
it is usually between 16-22 degrees C

I have never experienced such problems more than once when I bought a fake Intel card from China / Ebay,

Most often such problems are due to incorrect implementation and mismatch of PCIe Gen1/2/3/4 card slots and card and power management settings in Bios

2 hours ago, Exocer said:

Yeah I was sort of dredding doing this hence the delay. But I asked ChatGPT to help and this is what it gave me back:

ethtool -A eth0 rx on tx on
ethtool -C eth0 rx-usecs 0 rx-frames 0 rx-usecs-irq 0 rx-frames-irq 0 tx-usecs 0 tx-frames 0 tx-usecs-irq 0 tx-frames-irq 0 adaptive-rx off adaptive-tx off
ethtool -G eth0 rx 1016 tx 504
ethtool -K eth0 gro on gso on tso on lro on rxvlan off txvlan off ntuple off rxhash off
ethtool -L eth0 combined 2
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 0 duplex half
ethtool -T eth0 off
ethtool -s eth0 wol g
ethtool -s eth0 sopass 0xXXXXXXXXXXXX
ethtool -C eth0 adaptive-tx off
ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg on
ethtool -s eth0 power on
ethtool -s eth0 rx-nsf off
ethtool -s eth0 itr 950
ethtool -s eth0 linkstate 51
ethtool -s eth0 eee 1
ethtool -s eth0 pme off
ethtool -s eth0 rx-fcs off rx-all off tx-cksum-ip-generic off tx-cksum-ipv4 off tx-cksum-ipv6 off tx-cksum-fcoe-crc off tx-nocache-copy off tx-gso-robust off tx-fcoe-segmentation off tx-gre-segmentation off tx-udp_tnl-segmentation off tx-gre-csum-segmentation off tx-udp-segmentation off tx-esp-segmentation off tx-tcp-segmentation off tx-sctp-segmentation off tx-udp-fragmentation off tx-gso-partial off tx-esp-offload off tx-encap off tx-checksum-ipv4-pseudoheader off tx-checksum-fcoe-payload off tx-checksum-sctp off fcoe-mtu 0
ethtool -s eth0 wol-p g

Obviously the ideal case for those of us with Euphony would be a single line output, also, worth noting that the eth0 will need to be updated to reflect your own interface.

For those on Euphony, here is the Euphony friendly format:image.png.542cedf05e4f8d0e52a5332eacb2425c.png

-A eth0 autoneg on rx on tx on;  -C eth0 rx-usecs 0 rx-usecs-irq 1000 rx-frames 0 tx-usecs 0 tx-frames 0 tx-pace-ns 0;  -K eth0 rx-checksumming off rx-checksum-ipv4 off rx-checksum-ip-generic off tx-checksum-ipv4 off tx-checksum-ip-generic off tx-checksum-sctp off tx-checksum-udp off tx-checksum-tcp off tso off gso off gro off lro off rx-vlan-filter off rx-vlan-stag-filter off txvlan off;  -G eth0 rx 1016 tx 504;  -L eth0 combined 2;  -s eth0 speed 0 duplex 0 autoneg on;  -k eth0 tcp-segmentation-offload off udp-fragmentation-offload off;  -s eth0 wol g;  -s eth0 wol p;  -C eth0 dmac 0;  -s eth0 eee on;  -s eth0 pme off;  -c eth0 rx-frames 950;  -s eth0 lse 51;  -s eth0 mii-rx-flow-control off tx-flow-control off;  -s eth0 power-dream 1;  -s eth0 wol f;

Cheers! Happy listening all.

-Rob

Thanks Rob. Have you noticed a difference from Euphony's default?

39 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Thanks Rob. Have you noticed a difference from Euphony's default?

You’re welcome. My system is in huge flux right now but yes, I find that these settings are proving to result in an overall sound quality improvement. I am using the  default Taiko Startech NIC currently. 

Edit: I am trying my Twinax cable again between Etherregen and Server. These settings have made the Twinax sound better than the SFP/Fiber cable duo.

3 hours ago, tuochongle said:

Get the Streacom HT4 should fix the memory blocking issue. https://streacom.com/products/ht4-thermal-riser/

Related to this topic?

On 3/18/2023 at 7:27 PM, flowcharts said:

I've been looking at the EVGA z590 Dark.

Yes, that could work.

@may.park - As an avid SOTM SMB Q370 owner and DIYer, can you share if there are plans underway to release a newer version of the SMB Q370? It appears to be entirely dismissed by many DIYers as an audiophile motherboard. It was convenient for me to try since I already had the CPUs on-hand, but to those looking to "upgrade" their sound quality, taking a step back to an older architecture can be a tough pill to swallow or simply infeasible for a number of reasons (some prefer not to buy used CPUs for example).

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

I'm all for a custom MB, if only we can agree what platform and chipset it'll use.

I'm all for this too. Maybe we should extend @lmitche's polls. Generally speaking, do we still need to consider two architectures? One for those who like to upsample in realtime, and those who do not upsample but instead use tools like PGGB or stick with native PCM playback?

Let's get the convo started.

4 hours ago, audiophilac said:

@Iving

What made you pick the Asus ProArt motherboard?

Do you have any opinion on Asrock Rack motherboards?

I noticed X670 motherboard manufacturers state "server grade PCB" etc, but I'm not sure if its better (or something?)

My PC is a dedicated offline Music Player networked only as an ethernet based Dante feed to Pro Audio DAC (Dangerous Convert-2) via eR, RedNet D16 AES and Mutec MC3+ USB as re-clocker and WC. I use HQPlayer Desktop but upsample CD rips to only x4 or 176.4 kHz [sinc-S/Gauss1]. The demands on the CPU are very low and I can focus on other attributes of mobo/CPU etc permutation. I don't need to be at hardware cutting edge at all. In fact, technological advance can be regressive for simple infrastructure, low power, low noise playback. Components released a year or two back are now heavily discounted. Started with Ryzen 5600G which has advantage of integrated graphics. I avoid teenager/gaming boards if I can. A very high priority for me is (theoretically at least) chipset-avoidant playback. I require PCIe slots for: 1) Optane 900P and 2) Startech SFP card. Two CPU-direct slots was satisfied on Z270-WS but both M.2 were chipset. Not so with ProArt M.2_1 which is PCIe Gen 4.0 and enabled direct comparison with Optane 900P as already reported. All Wi-Fi in the house is off and this ProArt has no Wi-Fi. It is exceptional in having Thunderbolt 4 which is contingency future-proofing. The ProArt B550-CREATOR looks the mutt's nuts and was an excuse to invest in better CPU and hike up RAM to 64Gb. tbh I always harboured a notion that the Z270-WS lacked something I heard in a Gigabyte mobo I tried at about the same time I bought it. I don't have experience with Asrock. The two downsides to this upgrade were: A) Had to get an oversize passive cooler which gives me a case headache (although as it turns out I could have procured AM4 feet for Icepipe but I don't want to go back now) and B) Installation software forced me to adopt W10 Pro 1903_19H1_18362.356 instead of 1507_Threshold 1_2015-07_10240.16384 but I can live with that particular offset.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:08 PM, MarcelNL said:

Just completed the second 36V cable so I can experiment with two Taiko ATX modules, just before the new CPU and MB.

No dice....apparently the 12 V on the ATX connector of the MB has the same ground plane as the EPS connectors

....does anyone know if the ATX needs 12V for the MB to work? (I guess it does)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

51 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

No dice....apparently the 12 V on the ATX connector of the MB has the same ground plane as the EPS connectors

....does anyone know if the ATX needs 12V for the MB to work? (I guess it does)

A pin extractor tool is inexpensive. I think there are 2 x 12V on ATX. Could lift those pins as an experiment. Suspect the odds are against you.

image.thumb.png.7914ba37ad48315af61f676ba8c73952.png

4 minutes ago, Iving said:

A pin extractor tool is inexpensive. I think there are 2 x 12V on ATX. Could lift those pins as an experiment. Suspect the odds are against you.

image.thumb.png.7914ba37ad48315af61f676ba8c73952.png

I have a set of those..and I have the 24pin ATX pinout....still hope to avoid lifting the 12V pins since that 14AWG UPOCC is not very bendy.. 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps.