IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

3 hours ago, flowcharts said:

I would like to eventually transition over to the HDPlex cooling solution, maybe with some creative heatpipe bending?

I would use a different motherboard. All the designs with custom heatpipes bendings I saw so far were not pretty. 

does anyone know if the Asus ROF crosshair viii x570 is compatible with the Apacer ECC (unbuffered) RAM?

would be a shame to buy it for 18direct phases and PCIe external power to find out I now have two sets of RAM that are incompatible (have a ECC Buffered set lying aorud already)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

17 minutes ago, JackJohnson316 said:

I’m selling my Sean Jacobs linear power supply DC3/4 with DC4 regulator modules, DC4 recaps, and Mundorf silver gold internal wiring. Two legs both 5v that I used to power my Jcat and Pink Faun pcie cards in my DIY server. It’s a terrific, at the top of the list, LPS for anyone looking to build a DIY server. Thanks 

Good luck with the sale!

On 3/20/2023 at 4:07 PM, drjimwillie said:

The SK Hynix P31 2TB is selling for $119 on Amazon, that is about $100 off the regular selling price.

070EE4C5-5028-431E-A650-3A8C4D302CD8.thumb.png.c991aaa0fb8e94f4110d865b4f3d8980.png

I picked up two of these during a similar sale a while back. The main reason I did so is they have significantly lower power consumption compared to nearly every other similarly spec'd M.2 drive on the market. However, this may have been a poor choice as one of the key design aspects of the C621E build is not restricting power the same way an ultra low power build would.

Guess I'll find out soon enough. 

It would be an interesting comparison between low power yet slower/higher latency drives vs high power yet faster/lower latency drives. For example, the Intel Optane P5800X is the lowest latency SSD available, but can draw over 21W when active (for the 1.6TB version, the 400GB version draws 15W).

Taiko utilizes the Optane 900P for the OS drive which can draw over 14W, so it's pretty obvious which camp they sit in.

low power draw is nice add on, from my experiments it is low latency and somehow (perhaps directly related to latency) the type of memory cell. Pseudo SLC sounding better than Optane.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

56 minutes ago, Mops911 said:

Hdplex 800w DC-ATX:

How do you guys power it?

Do you run a separate 12v LPS for EPS?

How did you mount it in a Streatcom FC10 or HDPlex H5?

Bonus ;-) If you run a separate NAA, how "concerned" are you about the power for the HQP server?

Cheers

Tom

Mine from SR7T 19V

Yes - 12V direct CPU

In Streacom F12C (threaded M3 standoffs can be obtained different lengths - they provide a secure mount fixed horizontally - black bolts outside matching case - silver inside matching DC-ATX):

image.thumb.jpeg.055e0bb723779b2834382f7e2d4ed49b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.20a4b9d8bbf3e9cb330b1b454994ed31.jpeg

I don't run NAA - offline music PC - HQPlayer Desktop

nice idea!

I'd be interested in a direct comparison of this option, the taiko NIC and a passively cooled Solarflare X2522 on low latency setting.

(finally the heatpipe clasp I'm going to modify and use for the solarflare did arrive)

too bad it's all windows ;-)

another question, did you compare the intel card before and after the Taiko script?

and on another note, these appear fairly generic network settings...pretty sure I came across some of these when adjusting the firmware settings of the Solarflare card....lemme check... 

5 hours ago, Tubeman66 said:

A Small tip
Buy an SFP NIC that is based on the intel i210 chip
Download the installation script for Takio SFP NIC
Then you have a really good solution for a fraction of what the Taiko NIC costs

And it sounds wonderful

Have compared it with Startech SFP NIC
and the Intel card sounds much better

Digitus 10160 SFP Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express Card Network Interface Controller : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Takio SFP NI = Taiko Audio Extreme Network Card ?

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-extreme-network-card/

38 minutes ago, VaG said:

Takio SFP NI = Taiko Audio Extreme Network Card ?

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-extreme-network-card/

yup

9 hours ago, Tubeman66 said:

A Small tip
Buy an SFP NIC that is based on the intel i210 chip
Download the installation script for Takio SFP NIC
Then you have a really good solution for a fraction of what the Taiko NIC costs

And it sounds wonderful

Have compared it with Startech SFP NIC
and the Intel card sounds much better

Digitus 10160 SFP Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express Card Network Interface Controller : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Good one! Any heat issues with the Digitus Card and which SFP module are you using?

1 hour ago, baconbrain said:

Good one! Any heat issues with the Digitus Card and which SFP module are you using?

most NIC cards are designed for server rooms...so they tend to run hot at ambient temp since server rooms are freezing cold...

I'm having to adapt the Solarflare x2522 with heatsink and heatpipes or it'll cut out in 5 minutes flat due to temp issues.