IGNORED

Forum Rules Suggestion

18 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

You missed the fact that he was using "looser" in an intentionally incorrect way to mirror the post that he was commenting on.

DELETED

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Garbage !

The fact remains that there are numerous instances in this forum of incorrect usage of these words , mainly from USA members of this forum.:P

Rubbish !

20750119_ScreenShot2019-04-06at3_27_12PM.png.a3391a5a3413418df4c1b5ac886c37bf.png

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

I doubt there is one, but it would be a correct grammatical construct nonetheless.

DELETED.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, manisandher said:

IMO, we don't know all the challenges audio presents for cables. Why do I think this? Because cables sound different... when they shouldn't, according to our current understanding.

I still it remarkable that people are so compartmentalised in their thinking - everything inside a box will change the sound; everything outside one can't ...

Audio systems are, systems ... the weakest link(s) will dictate what the audible anomalies are; not the most exotic, brilliantly expensive bits in it - and audio people have enormous difficulty latching on to that concept. And many times the linkages between the parts are the worst offenders for dragging the SQ down, for a variety of reasons.

I would be amazed to find a system that is so well engineered that playing with external cabling to one's heart's content made zero difference to the sound.

The sloppiness with which rigs are nearly always set up is guaranteed to reduce the potential of the playback quality - it's in fact obvious that cable games will change the sound, if one examines more carefully the areas of a system.

2 hours ago, kumakuma said:

You're absolutely right. The character of a nation shouldn't be defined by the actions of one rude individual.

[Edited out - I was not thinking of a certain politician when I wrote that, but it sure came out sounding like I was.  -PR ]

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

5 minutes ago, Paul R said:

LOL!  No, or at least not more than you are on a mission to automatically react negatively to everything that does not quite fit your understanding of things. (Even if your understanding is correct.) 

I wrote a cable simulator a few years ago, and it led me down a rabbit hole of gargantuan dimensions. Cable signal transmission is the simplest thing there is, in gross. When you get down into the fine characteristics of it, it is anything but simple. The question is simple whether any of those interactions can affect the sound quality in, say a set of speaker cables. (Speaker cables are the simplest and easiest to understand.) There is nothing mystical about it, just an enormous number of micro complexities, most of which are dynamic and change or change their effects depending upon amplitude, frequency, impedance, and about a dozen other things, including cable composition and geometry. There is a reason Nordost sells to the military market, and it ain't hoo doo. 

When looking at USB cables, it gets even worse.  Digital transmissions are, of course, a layer of meaning over simple analog transmissions. There isn't any true physical digital transmission known to exist in the universe, as of this time. Everything is analog, and digital is just one way we choose to interpret a specific analog signal. So yeah, things lie cable composition and geometry can indeed make a difference in a USB cable, it is just that difference expresses itself as an analog error, not a digital one. 

Digital transmissions are, of course, a layer of meaning over simple analog transmissions. They just need to get the bits thru.

Arguably, DNA/RNA are digital in a way; not to mention quantum effects...

43 minutes ago, Paul R said:

There is a reason Nordost sells to the military market, 

I have seen military specification for cables and they are pretty standard stuff. 

Military will always prioritize local manufacturers for security reason. 

If going by the same logic, all audiophiles should use https://www.cicoil.com/flat-cable USB cables. Their cables are good enough for NASA, fighter jets, military and etc etc.... :) 

1 hour ago, STC said:

I have seen military specification for cables and they are pretty standard stuff. 

If going by the same logic, all audiophiles should use https://www.cicoil.com/flat-cable USB cables. Their cables are good enough for NASA, fighter jets, military and etc etc.... :) 

Thanks for the link - I have been looking for alternative cable souces since, well, you know 😉

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

The preponderance of these sorts of troll-threads that try to tell Chris how to run his website seem overwhelmingly from one side.

Wait, are you saying this is a civility thread?!  Yippie!!!  I'm always up for a good civility debate.  Hey @The Computer Audiophile, where do you want me to start first?  How about "meta-cultural experience and revolutionary formats among subjectivisised Audiophiledom"?  

Just a suggestion.  You lead the way and I will just chime in..... 🤣

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

8 hours ago, mansr said:

I doubt there is one, but it would be a correct grammatical construct nonetheless.

(amusement). 

Maybe grammatically correct, though I am positive my third grade teacher would disagree with you. It is, however meaningless. 

A great rationalization however, from one who is unwilling to admit a mistake. Next thing, someone will say the earth orbits the moon and we will have a great rationalization for that. I can hardly wait... 

Rationalization, instead of rational behavior, is probably the root cause of more disagreement that anything else, save for money and sex. And maybe audiophile cables...

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

8 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Digital transmissions are, of course, a layer of meaning over simple analog transmissions. They just need to get the bits thru.

Arguably, DNA/RNA are digital in a way; not to mention quantum effects...

We think of protein encoding and expression regulation as digital data and call it the universal code. I think there are some organisms that have non-universal genetic codes, but without looking it up, I cannot produce a reference.  Still, underneath all that shorthand digital thinking, it is as analog as it is possible to be - after all it evolved!  

Robert A. Heinlein

7 hours ago, STC said:

Being standard is really most of the point. Amazing how much a few milliseconds of delay can make when you are not expecting it. :)

Wait, that applies to audiophiles too...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Robert A. Heinlein

Just as an aside, I really love these kinds of conversations, even if they veer into the most off topic subjects you can imagine. How the hell did RNA.DNA get into a discussion of forum rules? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In any case, these discussion are something I do value, especially where there is nobody shouting and making an unbearable nuisance of themselves.   Like- oh - now? 

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

7 hours ago, STC said:

Funniest damn thing - the internet must be getting really smart because I didn't google CICOIL (I already know who they were.) 

But I just hit the MacWorld home page and... 

590725352_ScreenShot2019-04-07at1_22_42AM.thumb.png.54a45c2d4c5e29b40a0fe7486148b29d.png

Robert A. Heinlein