IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

1 minute ago, Chopin75 said:

Yes, you click on the "copy to euphony" button, If you mean you want to copy the files from the external drive to the local drive where the Euphony OS is. 

No, I mean I want to copy some music from my laptop into the external USB drive connected to Euphony which is mounted on /data.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:28 AM, Monge said:

I tried Euphony with Stylus player with Intel NUCPJYH and I like what I heard. 

To me the Sound is fuller or warm if I Can say so.

It’s Easy to setup and like.

But I had problems with Tidal, was slow and chrashing.

I Think the PJYH isn’nt enough here.

I also tried upsampling via HQPlayer embedded In Stylus. Nice integration.

Just my to cents.

But I love AL headless with all the tweaking.

Cheers

The Euphony works great with HQplayer but I hate the click & pause at the end of each track even in the same album. DO you experience that ? But I think it mainly occurs when doing PCM-DSD., 

The HQplayer has its own sound signature different from the Stylus even with PCM

3 minutes ago, Dev said:

No, I mean I want to copy some music from my laptop into the external USB drive connected to Euphony which is mounted on /data.

I think you can use file manager (this feature is available only if you bought it) by opening Euphony app on your lap top. However I was only able to copy single files but not an entire folder of tracks, meaning I am not able to drag entire folder (with all the tracks in there) in. So if you want to copy an album folder it can get messy. Perhaps that has now been resolved with  V3 or maybe a way to do this I am not aware of.

2 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

I think you can use file manager (this feature is available only if you bought it) by opening Euphony app on your lap top. However I was only able to copy single files but not an entire folder of tracks, meaning I am not able to drag entire folder (with all the tracks in there) in. So if you want to copy an album folder it can get messy. Perhaps that has now been resolved with  V3 or maybe a way to do this I am not aware of.

When you share it (using samba), the drive is available from outside using audiouser/euphony username/password but its read-only (and hence I can't copy anything to it) since the drive is internally mounted as root user.

1 minute ago, Dev said:

When you share it (using samba), the drive is available from outside using audiouser/euphony username/password but its read-only (and hence I can't copy anything to it) since the drive is internally mounted as root user.

Not sure what you mean, as I don't use Samba, but did you mount it into the library ? You might be able to mount the laptop drive into the library and then copy the files. If you want to share only or play the file directly from where it is then use ECache, 

2 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Not sure what you mean, as I don't use Samba, but did you mount it into the library ? You might be able to mount the laptop drive into the library and then copy the files. If you want to share only or play the file directly from where it is then use ECache, 

I already have a Linux formatted USB drive that I have used for several years and now with AL as music file storage. I am using the same drive with Euphony as the music library. This is all good and works fine. When you use "Share Music Library on network" feature in Euphony -> Settings -> Library, you can see them from outside systems like a Windows pc or a Mac. However, when you want to copy anything to it, it won't allow. 

33 minutes ago, Dev said:

I already have a Linux formatted USB drive that I have used for several years and now with AL as music file storage. I am using the same drive with Euphony as the music library. This is all good and works fine. When you use "Share Music Library on network" feature in Euphony -> Settings -> Library, you can see them from outside systems like a Windows pc or a Mac. However, when you want to copy anything to it, it won't allow. 

I see, not sure why, I have not tried network music file sharing, you should write to Euphony directly about it. 

@bobfa

You mentioned upgrading Euphony last week. Was this a trial version?

I downloaded the trial 20190504 update to a fresh thumb drive, but it does not play. I can’t log into it from my iPad.

What was your update routine? Do I have to re-engage a keyboard, mouse and monitor?

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

1 hour ago, Jay Tee said:

@bobfa

You mentioned upgrading Euphony last week. Was this a trial version?

I downloaded the trial 20190504 update to a fresh thumb drive, but it does not play. I can’t log into it from my iPad.

What was your update routine? Do I have to re-engage a keyboard, mouse and monitor?

I have the full versions and no issues upgrading from the web interface.

Bob,

When you purchased a license, did you enter it in the trial software, or did it require a new software install?

Funny, I really like it better on my DM2800NT atom board then my NUCS. Oh well! No DSD upsample though.

Might have two for sale. 🙂

Jeff

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

On 4/12/2019 at 5:29 AM, Chopin75 said:

The Euphony works great with HQplayer but I hate the click & pause at the end of each track even in the same album. DO you experience that ? But I think it mainly occurs when doing PCM-DSD., 

The HQplayer has its own sound signature different from the Stylus even with PCM

Sorry I did not test HQPlayer more AS I found the Stylus player sounded fine with PCM.

I have gone back to AL again as It sound very good with new Kernel and as I said I like the tweaking possibility In AL.

Cheers Monge

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Just wanted to update this thread on some interesting Euphony/Stylus features coming down the pike.

@romaz and I have had detailed interactions with Željko Vranić, the lead developer of Euphony. He and their team have been very receptive to our ideas and recommendations. You've already seen the rollout of the outcome of some of these discussions in the latest release, in the form of the support for bridging, and the addition of expert parameters for Squeezelite command line options, and for setting CPU frequency.

Very soon, the expert options will be expanded to allow ethtool command line options. This would enable overriding auto negotiation of speed, and setting 100Mbps for an Ethernet interface.

As many of you have found, the Stylus player in Euphony has significantly superior SQ to Roon. Of course, functionally, Stylus does not match the sophistication of Roon's library management and UI. For many of us, Roon library management has become a non-negotiable, as there is just nothing like it out there. As currently implemented, Stylus is a monolithic, standalone player, that does not have a remote interface. We asked Željko whether they could make Stylus an endpoint that could work with Roon.

Well, to our delight, it looks like they have done it. We've tested a prototype endpoint implementation of Stylus - let's call it StylusEP for now. The final released name is TBD. Like squeezelite, StylusEP looks like a Squeezebox to Roon.  This enables both distributed configurations (Roon core on server, Stylus EP on endpoint), as well as standalone (Roon core + StylusEP).

In terms of SQ, Roon core + StylusEP approaches, but doesn't quite match the SQ of Stylus. Since there is no control of what Roon Core does internally, the team couldn't implement 100% buffering, for example, the way standalone Stylus does. Still - the SQ of the prototype Roon core + StylusEP I tested was head and shoulders better than standard Roon, and even better sounding than Roon core + Squeezelite with large buffers. It also did not suffer the glitches that have plagued those of us who've tried to live with Roon + squeezelite. 

The team needs to do some more testing, but I've been told that they hope to ship this in a GA release by the end of the month.

This is pretty exciting stuff!

This is really great news.  Now we could take commercial hardware:

https://www.fullysilentpcs.com/product/hdplex-h3-audiophile/#configuration

https://simplynuc.com/7i3dnfe-full/

With the just the right hardware in them.  Then add a couple of software loads and if you want network magic.  WOW.  

As Faruka would say: "I want it now!"

Bob

News of "Stylus(EP)" is indeed an incredible development! I tried the trial of Euphony a while back. I ultimately ending-up running it in Stand-Alone Mode on a NUC.  Stand-Alone Mode sounded even better than Distributed-Mode with a Euphony/NUC endpoint running a standard Roon Core on a stock MacMini, with plain-jane networking. I happily purchased Euphony, as once I heard it, I couldn't go back. Then I tried Euphony's "Stylus Player Mode" and that was even better still, but I was conflicted with giving-up the joys of Roon. So, the development of Stylus(EP) is the answer to a prayer. I can't wait for the new release! Lastly, Željko consistently provides patient, top-notch, very fast response to issues/questions! He's as awesome as Euphony!

8 hours ago, austinpop said:

Just wanted to update this thread on some interesting Euphony/Stylus features coming down the pike.

Fabulous! thanks @austinpop and @romaz for pushing the edge on this

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

10 hours ago, austinpop said:

@romaz and I have had detailed interactions with Željko Vranić, the lead developer of Euphony. He and their team have been very receptive to our ideas and recommendations. You've already seen the rollout of the outcome of some of these discussions in the latest release, in the form of the support for bridging, and the addition of expert parameters for Squeezelite command line options, and for setting CPU frequency.

Very soon, the expert options will be expanded to allow ethtool command line options. This would enable overriding auto negotiation of speed, and setting 100Mbps for an Ethernet interface.

As many of you have found, the Stylus player in Euphony has significantly superior SQ to Roon. Of course, functionally, Stylus does not match the sophistication of Roon's library management and UI. For many of us, Roon library management has become a non-negotiable, as there is just nothing like it out there. As currently implemented, Stylus is a monolithic, standalone player, that does not have a remote interface. We asked Željko whether they could make Stylus an endpoint that could work with Roon.

Well, to our delight, it looks like they have done it. We've tested a prototype endpoint implementation of Stylus - let's call it StylusEP for now. The final released name is TBD. Like squeezelite, StylusEP looks like a Squeezebox to Roon.  This enables both distributed configurations (Roon core on server, Stylus EP on endpoint), as well as standalone (Roon core + StylusEP).

In terms of SQ, Roon core + StylusEP approaches, but doesn't quite match the SQ of Stylus. Since there is no control of what Roon Core does internally, the team couldn't implement 100% buffering, for example, the way standalone Stylus does. Still - the SQ of the prototype Roon core + StylusEP I tested was head and shoulders better than standard Roon, and even better sounding than Roon core + Squeezelite with large buffers. It also did not suffer the glitches that have plagued those of us who've tried to live with Roon + squeezelite. 

The team needs to do some more testing, but I've been told that they hope to ship this in a GA release by the end of the month.

This is pretty exciting stuff!

Great work, as always.  Does this portend a possible Roon->HQP solution on Euphony, since Stylus player is already able to talk to HQP, or am I getting this too kludgy?  Or does this already exist, without Stylus involved?

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Great work, as always.  Does this portend a possible Roon->HQP solution on Euphony, since Stylus player is already able to talk to HQP, or am I getting this too kludgy?  Or does this already exist, without Stylus involved?

Hi Ted,

I haven't personally tested this, but I think you're already covered. A Euphony installation can already run "Roon + HQPlayer" and NAA modes. The former can cover the standalone case, or if you're distributed, you run the former on the server, the NAA on the endpoint, and configure HQPlayer to point to the NAA.

At least in principle.

I have two nuc7i7dnbe and I was going for the AL/LMS sqweezelite configuration but that is a bit of pain to install for me, with tidal and local files. So to make my life easier I was thinking to put Euphony on a Delock SATA 6 Gb/s Flash Module 8 GB SLC and use the SATA slot. Why, because I what to keep the m.2 slot free for a jcat net card/ bridging. 

Question: is the 8 GB enough for Euphony? I read somewhere that Euphony also uses the os drive for buffering music so maybe 8GB is a bit small for best sq.

I am not interested in Roon, if you do not start with Roon you do not have to struggle with the Roon money on your back 😂. But is one Euphony nuc better then two nuc configuration???

Separately powered and SLC!!!

49EEF1A5-EFE4-47D1-AD42-33E5C579B1B0.jpeg.692b932e17e7899d8f72393c44e31ec7.jpeg

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

4 hours ago, RickyV said:

I am not interested in Roon, if you do not start with Roon you do not have to struggle with the Roon money on your back 😂. But is one Euphony nuc better then two nuc configuration??

Mee too, I am not interested in Roon. I am currently running LMS with Win 10 on my server and feeding SL with Euphony on my end point and very happy with the SQ. I still want to try AL on the server, but not sure if it supports LMS.

17 minutes ago, mozes said:

Mee too, I am not interested in Roon. I am currently running LMS with Win 10 on my server and feeding SL with Euphony on my end point and very happy with the SQ. I still want to try AL on the server, but not sure if it supports LMS.

AL supports LMS but to get ipeng the remote s.w to accept tidal is a pain. But I am hardware guy I guess, no patients for s.w.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

4 hours ago, RickyV said:

AL supports LMS but to get ipeng the remote s.w to accept tidal is a pain. But I am hardware guy I guess, no patients for s.w.

I use Squeeze Ctrl app on Android and I can control Tidal with it as well