IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

I really appreciate the sweat, effort and money put on this findings to later be shared to us all.

I have been using AL/NUC7PJYH as Roon endpoint and MacMini as Roon server thanks to @rickca  @lmitche @romaz and@austinpop 

Although i'm a nob in these hardware/software territories, i have learned a little more, and for me this Euphony OS arrives with great expectations (thanks @bobfa)

And because the people from Euphony consider that "one machine to rule them all" with their OS, I'm considering building a fanless server/endpoint like the one Rajiv and Romaz have suggested (Intel 8700, Asrock H370) where i have the flexibility of adding a i2s PCIE card (my DAC is supposed to have the best sound via i2s, although i don't know how BIG the improvement would be having the i2s card instead of feeding my DAC via USB and the adding cost of that card alone is about $400), OR just a simple NUC7DNHE using a Paul Hynes SR4 to power it.

In either case if future findings show that two machines are better, i will still have the AL/NUC7PJYH to use as an endpoint.

Any suggestions to which path would be the smartest to choose ?

Regards

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

On 3/31/2019 at 4:15 AM, mikicasellas said:

I really appreciate the sweat, effort and money put on this findings to later be shared to us all.

I have been using AL/NUC7PJYH as Roon endpoint and MacMini as Roon server thanks to @rickca  @lmitche @romaz and@austinpop 

Although i'm a nob in these hardware/software territories, i have learned a little more, and for me this Euphony OS arrives with great expectations (thanks @bobfa)

And because the people from Euphony consider that "one machine to rule them all" with their OS, I'm considering building a fanless server/endpoint like the one Rajiv and Romaz have suggested (Intel 8700, Asrock H370) where i have the flexibility of adding a i2s PCIE card (my DAC is supposed to have the best sound via i2s, although i don't know how BIG the improvement would be having the i2s card instead of feeding my DAC via USB and the adding cost of that card alone is about $400), OR just a simple NUC7DNHE using a Paul Hynes SR4 to power it.

In either case if future findings show that two machines are better, i will still have the AL/NUC7PJYH to use as an endpoint.

Regards

I think the powerful server suggested above may only be relevant to users of Roon with a Squeezelite endpoint. We don't yet know if Euphony works just as well with a NUC type device vs a powerful server. Someone needs to do the actual comparison as what may work well with one OS may not translate to another.

Euphony was designed as a one box solution which has a lot of appeal yet many here are insisting on using it in a server/renderer configuration. As above, I am just not sure if this has actually been tested as it seems to be assumed that a 2 box setup is superior.

If one already has a Roon licence and enjoys the user interface then I understand.

However if Stylus is not terrible and sounds as good, those without a Roon licence could potentially put resources elsewhere to improve their setup further.

Can someone with the resources please test these 2 issues and advise.

Cheers,

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

On 3/30/2019 at 3:15 PM, mikicasellas said:

I would start out as simple as possible.  I think it really looks like the power supply is of greater import than ever!  Do not let this crazy experiment lead you down a path that is not comfortable.  

22 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

If one already has a Roon licence and enjoys the user interface then I understand.

However if Stylus is not terrible and sounds as good, those without a Roon licence could potentially put resources elsewhere to improve their setup further.

Can someone with the resources please test these 2 issues and advise.

Cheers,

Geoff

This is actually some of the testing I want to do when the Roon related software issues I have found are fixed.  (Any Day now).  Both AudioLinux and Euphony make it pretty simple to swap things around.    I am a Roon user so i am sure I have some bias there!  I do not have the power supplies I need to do all the testing.  My 7i7 NUC endpoint is running at 12V on a JS-2 rail.  It will run Roon server and Stylus just fine.  Running with a single device i can bring my HDPLEX 200 in at 19v on the NUC if needed. I have to get the time to do all this work.  I may also bring my Xeon server in to test on the main system.  I did some quick tests and it did not seem to do as well as split boxes.    

Thanks bobfa. 

I look forward to your observations. 

G

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

I am running Euphony/Roon on NUC i7 and Roonbridge running on the Celeron CJY NUC and noticing Roon performance issue when playing 96k/192k files only. It plays for couple of seconds and then skips and pops up an error message "An audio file is loading slowly. This may indicate a performance or hardware problem". I have been running this setup for months with AL and never had an issue.

Anybody know what the issue it ?

I am also noticing that with Euphony, I can't upsample to DSD256 in Roon when it wasn't an issue with AL on the same NUC. Strange!

On 3/30/2019 at 10:06 AM, Chopin75 said:

Is your Euphony on the same USB stick? If you have your euphony OS in a drive different from the USB storage where the music files are, then you need to make sure that the drive is detected by Euphony. Look at "Library" (I think)  and it should list all the drives Euphony detects. The drive of the music files needs to be "mounted". U can also try "update Library" and that may help. Then you should see 2 folders now attached under "files"- Euphony and the other USB music files drive,  Somewhere you can also click Ecache (but perhaps that is only available for the full version). Email Arthur if you are still stuck. 

This requirement to mount (I think they use "attach") and add file locations to the library got me also... it would be great if someone who knows more about this would add these instructions to the original post... I also ran into a problem were my SSD internal partitions are all the same name, so cannot mount more than one currently .

I also noticed that the shutdown button shuts down the computer - not just the software 😲

Anyway - I am only starting, but so far I have found Euphony the most intuitive music application of those I have used..  first time for me with anything Linux based I think...

8 hours ago, Dev said:

I am running Euphony/Roon on NUC i7 and Roonbridge running on the Celeron CJY NUC and noticing Roon performance issue when playing 96k/192k files only. It plays for couple of seconds and then skips and pops up an error message "An audio file is loading slowly. This may indicate a performance or hardware problem". I have been running this setup for months with AL and never had an issue.

Anybody know what the issue it ?

I am also noticing that with Euphony, I can't upsample to DSD256 in Roon when it wasn't an issue with AL on the same NUC. Strange!

I think the problem is the way that they were starting Roon.  There is a new release on the way.

2 hours ago, bobfa said:

I think the problem is the way that they were starting Roon.  There is a new release on the way.

53 minutes ago, bobfa said:

That new release is out.  I will start testing it later today.

Is there a way to update or do we need to reinstall from scratch ?

48 minutes ago, Dev said:

Is there a way to update or do we need to reinstall from scratch ?

You can install the update via the Euphony menu. I just updated my trial. There are so-called Expert settings now (under System) where you can set the parameters for Squeezelite and also min/max CPU frequence.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

30 minutes ago, austinpop said:

You need to “Complete Installation” first. Settings... top of page

Ok, thanks! I haven't done that yet since my trial. For some reason I always thought "Complete Installation" is needed when you have a proper license. Will try it when I get back from work.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:52 AM, bobfa said:

I would start out as simple as possible.  I think it really looks like the power supply is of greater import than ever!  Do not let this crazy experiment lead you down a path that is not comfortable.  

This is actually some of the testing I want to do when the Roon related software issues I have found are fixed.  (Any Day now).  Both AudioLinux and Euphony make it pretty simple to swap things around.    I am a Roon user so i am sure I have some bias there!  I do not have the power supplies I need to do all the testing.  My 7i7 NUC endpoint is running at 12V on a JS-2 rail.  It will run Roon server and Stylus just fine.  Running with a single device i can bring my HDPLEX 200 in at 19v on the NUC if needed. I have to get the time to do all this work.  I may also bring my Xeon server in to test on the main system.  I did some quick tests and it did not seem to do as well as split boxes.    

Thanks !

Does the USB stick need to be in a specific "Format" in order to launch the TRIAL ?

I ma having trouble booting 

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

52 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

Thanks !

Does the USB stick need to be in a specific "Format" in order to launch the TRIAL ?

I ma having trouble booting 

I also am unable to boot my NUC. In my case the flash drive is now recognized in BIOS in contrast to before when UEFI boot was not supported.

But now I only get as far as the Euphony boot menu. When it then tries to start "Euphony-Linux" automatically the following error message flashes up:

"Invalid boot signature 0x0, bailing out
Booting kernel failed: bad file number"

Then it tries to start the system automatically again, countdown from 3 seconds, same error message and so on. a loop.

I disabled secure boot so normally an error regarding invalid boot signature shouldn't even happen, right? Or is it the second part of the error message which is relevant?

Anyway I am at a loss what to do and Euphony support couldn't help either

On my new laptop which uses UEFI boot I'm getting the same error message.

BTW the checksum of my downloaded image is ok and the partitions on my flash drive are also ok according to Euphony support.

11 minutes ago, Poldi said:

I also am unable to boot my NUC. In my case the flash drive is now recognized in BIOS in contrast to before when UEFI boot was not supported.

But now I only get as far as the Euphony boot menu. When it then tries to start "Euphony-Linux" automatically the following error message flashes up:

"Invalid boot signature 0x0, bailing out
Booting kernel failed: bad file number"

Then it tries to start the system automatically again, countdown from 3 seconds, same error message and so on. a loop.

I disabled secure boot so normally an error regarding invalid boot signature shouldn't even happen, right? Or is it the second part of the error message which is relevant?

Anyway I am at a loss what to do and Euphony support couldn't help either

On my new laptop which uses UEFI boot I'm getting the same error message.

BTW the checksum of my downloaded image is ok and the partitions on my flash drive are also ok according to Euphony support.

This is what ram getting too:

This is what shows below when keeping pressing the “Enter”:

“Invalid boot signature 0X310a bailing out booting Kernel failed bad file number

Loading ../umlinuz-linux-rt-bfq failed: bad file number”

I already wrote this to Željko, but i guess they are sleeping now...

16 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

This is what ram getting too:

This is what shows below when keeping pressing the “Enter”:

“Invalid boot signature 0X310a bailing out booting Kernel failed bad file number

Loading ../umlinuz-linux-rt-bfq failed: bad file number”

I already wrote this to Željko, but i guess they are sleeping now...

@mikicasellas: "good" to see that someone else is having this problem. Željko wrote me that I was the only one so far and that he doesn't know the solution to this problem.

But I guess if others are having the same problem and nobody here posts a solution, Euphony should take a deeper look into it.

7 minutes ago, Poldi said:

@mikicasellas: "good" to see that someone else is having this problem. Željko wrote me that I was the only one so far and that he doesn't know the solution to this problem.

But I guess if others are having the same problem and nobody here posts a solution, Euphony should take a deeper look into it.

Knowing how flaky USB sticks can be, did you try a different stick? Just wondering.

@Poldi & @mikicasellas 

I am the number three here, I can not boot my NUC7CJYH. I only see the Euphony boot menu but I don't get an error message. Only the not stopping countdown loop (I didn' t keep pressing 'Enter'). 

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro