IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

2 minutes ago, mozes said:

Same thing happened with me. I fixed it by changing the boot from UEFI to Legacy.

The NUC7CJYH (and NUC7PJYH) doesn' support Legacy unfortunately.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

2 minutes ago, mozes said:

Thanks I guess the optimal settings will be system dependent i.e. CPU and RAM

Yes, of course. This is only for those who want to experiment, and know the pitfalls and risks.

The key is to know how much physical RAM is in your box. Then go to "Temp/CPU" to check memory utilization. Based on that, you get a sense of free memory, so you know what you have to play with. In the example above, we are allocating:

1. 2GB for input stream
  2. 2GB for output buffer
  3. 50MB for ALSA buffer

Feel free to experiment, and post findings!

Also, if you set a value in the freq fields, it unlocks a frequency monitor in the Temp/CPU panel. If you just want to know what the current frequency is, (Kenneth), just set a small value like 800MHz in the Min box and look at the freq monitor.

FYI - frequency settings do not seem to work on the i7DNBE at the moment. It's probably due to the versions of kernel and cpupower Euphony uses, as frequency setting works fine in AL.

19 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yes, of course. This is only for those who want to experiment, and know the pitfalls and risks.

The key is to know how much physical RAM is in your box. Then go to "Temp/CPU" to check memory utilization. Based on that, you get a sense of free memory, so you know what you have to play with. In the example above, we are allocating:

1. 2GB for input stream
  2. 2GB for output buffer
  3. 50MB for ALSA buffer

Also, if you set a value in the freq fields, it unlocks a frequency monitor in the Temp/CPU panel. If you just want to know what the current frequency is, (Kenneth), just set a small value like 800MHz in the Min box and look at the freq monitor.

FYI - frequency settings do not seem to work on the i7DNBE at the moment. It's probably due to the versions of kernel and cpupower Euphony uses, as frequency setting works fine in AL.

Great thanks for helping me decipher what these numbers mean. In my case, I have 8GB RAM and my CPU is a low powered one, Celeron 3160 which can run at a freq of 1.6 to 2.24 Ghz. 

I will play within these parameters and report what I hear.

51 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Frequency doesn't work on my Jetway NF597 motherboard either.

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

1. 2GB for input stream
  2. 2GB for output buffer
  3. 50MB for ALSA buffer

Hi Rajiv,

Forgive my ignorance but why does 2GB have fewer digits than 50MB?

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

5 hours ago, Poldi said:

@mikicasellas@Holzohr@mozes

Željko just wrote me that he found the mistake and he will release a new Euphony version tomorrow that should work for us.

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

image.png

I am just now getting around to trying to update and the update system is giving me an error.  I bet that they shut it off to fix whatever was/is broken.  SAD FACE😕

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Yes, I am running trial instances of Euphony on both the Roon server, and the Squeezelite endpoint.

are you able to use native DSD or are they still DoP ?

Its strange that even Roon's DoP conversion on Euphony i7 NUC shutters.

Just now, austinpop said:

Not sure what you mean? I have always used DoP for DSD content, both with Roon Bridge and Squeezelite, and that remains unchanged on Euphony.

I generally use native DSD since my DAC supports it. When I tried LMS/Squeezelite sometime back, native DSD worked fine but I don't remember if Roon/Squeezelite supported native DSD (I remember its limited to DSD64). I just now tried Euphony/Roon running on i7 NUC and AL/Squeezelite on CJY NUC and looks like DSD playback strategy is always DoP. When I play DSD content in Roon, converting to Dop shutters which is very strange since the i7 NUC is much more capable. 

1 minute ago, Dev said:

I generally use native DSD since my DAC supports it. When I tried LMS/Squeezelite sometime back, native DSD worked fine but I don't remember if Roon/Squeezelite supported native DSD (I remember its limited to DSD64). I just now tried Euphony/Roon running on i7 NUC and AL/Squeezelite on CJY NUC and looks like DSD playback strategy is always DoP. When I play DSD content in Roon, converting to Dop shutters which is very strange since the i7 NUC is much more capable. 

Sorry - what do you mean by "shutters?"

Sounds like you may have a config issue, as DoP encapsulation is not a CPU intensive process at all, and even an ARM or a Celeron can handle that without breaking a sweat, let alone a mighty i7!

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

Sorry - what do you mean by "shutters?"

Sounds like you may have a config issue, as DoP encapsulation is not a CPU intensive process at all, and even an ARM or a Celeron can handle that without breaking a sweat, let alone a mighty i7!

What I meant by shuttering is a sequence of brief pause followed by brief playback.

Yes, Dop conversion (encapsulating in a pcm packet) works on a very low profile h/w. Thus I am bit surprised. On this very NUC when running AL, Roon is able to upsample to DSD256, let alone DoP. Not sure if its an issue with Euphony or not.

1 minute ago, Dev said:

What I meant by shuttering is a sequence of brief pause followed by brief playback.

Yes, Dop conversion (encapsulating in a pcm packet) works on a very low profile h/w. Thus I am bit surprised. On this very NUC when running AL, Roon is able to upsample to DSD256, let alone DoP. Not sure if its an issue with Euphony or not.

Ah - what I would call stuttering. Potato potahto. :) 

DSD over DoP works fine for me on Euphony with the NUC i7 endpoint. 

8 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Ah - what I would call stuttering. Potato potahto. :) 

DSD over DoP works fine for me on Euphony with the NUC i7 endpoint. 

Yeah, that thingy 🙂

I think you upgraded to the newer version. Do you remember if it worked with the older version of Euphony ? I am running release version 20190214.

21 minutes ago, Dev said:

Yeah, that thingy 🙂

I think you upgraded to the newer version. Do you remember if it worked with the older version of Euphony ? I am running release version 20190214.

That older version did not run the right processes for roon bridge.  I would update when available.