IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

A couple of notes. 

1. as of 04/04/19 the Euphony folks changed their DNS settings so some things are still propagating.

2. a new release is out as of 04/05/19 (supposed to fix the bootup issues some folks were having)

I upgraded this morning and when there is time I will start doing some testing.  Just music in the background for work now.

7 minutes ago, Dev said:

Update server is now available. I updated successfully this morning. The issue with Roon shuttering/stuttering seems to be nonexistent now. Will test some more.

Sorry, spoke too soon. Roon shuttering/stuttering still exist. I wasn't playing DSD content earlier and hence thought it was fixed. I think it could be due to usage of Wifi on the streamer side and squeezelite using large buffers which might cause Roon to transfer large data over the network. I will try with AL on the server and see if I can reproduce the same issue.

7 minutes ago, Dev said:

Sorry, spoke too soon. Roon shuttering/stuttering still exist. I wasn't playing DSD content earlier and hence thought it was fixed. I think it could be due to usage of Wifi on the streamer side and squeezelite using large buffers which might cause Roon to transfer large data over the network. I will try with AL on the server and see if I can reproduce the same issue.

It could be. I've never got wifi to work reliably at higher sample rates like 176.4 (in your case) or heaven forbid, DXD. This is one of the reasons I stick to wired Ethernet, as I have a lot of hi-res content.

You're correct, the network behavior with SL with large buffers is very asymmetric. See my analysis: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54933-audiolinux-and-nuc-troubleshooting-and-tuning/?do=findComment&comment=904234

If you can try wired ethernet, see if that eliminates the issue. If so, you will need to adjust your Wifi components to achieve better throughput.

4 minutes ago, austinpop said:

It could be. I've never got wifi to work reliably at higher sample rates like 176.4 (in your case) or heaven forbid, DXD. This is one of the reasons I stick to wired Ethernet, as I have a lot of hi-res content.

You're correct, the network behavior with SL with large buffers is very asymmetric. See my analysis: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54933-audiolinux-and-nuc-troubleshooting-and-tuning/?do=findComment&comment=904234

If you can try wired ethernet, see if that eliminates the issue. If so, you will need to adjust your Wifi components to achieve better throughput.

Yes, now I remember your post. I did a different experiment quickly - instead of squeezelite, I ran roonbridge and changed the Roon's audio setting on the server side to send DoP (DAC supports both native and Dop). I don't see the issue with Dop, however with 192K files it still has the issue with Roonbridge as well. With the same NUC (both server and endpoint), I have never faced the issue when running AL even when both of them are on Wifi. I guess I will have to test this with wired Ethernet.

Here roonserver to roonbridge plays dxd files perfectly over wifi. I've never tried roonserver to squeezelite let alone dop, but its hard to believe wifi is to blame.

If you install the iw package and run $iw dev [wifi device name] station dump you can see the signal strength and speed of the wifi link.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

My issue seems to be related to network performance. Changed to wired Ethernet and everything is working as expected. I use Airport extender which showed signal strength as excellent (w/ speed 300mbps) since it's located within a feet from the NUC. What I do know is 192k/DoP files played without issues when running AL on both the NUCs and both were connected over wifi. With Euphony running on the server I had to use wired Ethernet since they don't support wifi, while the endpoint NUC is still on wifi running AL, I noticed this shutter/stutter issue when playing Dop or 192k files. So it could be the problem with the extender when bridging between the Ethernet to wifi.

23 minutes ago, Dev said:

My issue seems to be related to network performance. Changed to wired Ethernet and everything is working as expected. I use Airport extender which showed signal strength as excellent (w/ speed 300mbps) since it's located within a feet from the NUC. What I do know is 192k/DoP files played without issues when running AL on both the NUCs and both were connected over wifi. With Euphony running on the server I had to use wired Ethernet since they don't support wifi, while the endpoint NUC is still on wifi running AL, I noticed this shutter/stutter issue when playing Dop or 192k files. So it could be the problem with the extender when bridging between the Ethernet to wifi.

I wonder if the extender is routing traffic back to your router and forward again. 

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

I wonder if the extender is routing traffic back to your router and forward again. 

yeah, that's a possibility if it doesn't have the smartness of local switching. The Airport express extender can also act has a full fledged router and they run the same s/w. So not totally sure what is happening when in extender mode.

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Here roonserver to roonbridge plays dxd files perfectly over wifi. I've never tried roonserver to squeezelite let alone dop, but its hard to believe wifi is to blame.

If you install the iw package and run $iw dev [wifi device name] station dump you can see the signal strength and speed of the wifi link.

I may be misreading this, but are you saying you are trying Euphony and got it to work with wifi (being that this is a Euphony setup thread, I am possibly mis-assuming).

22 hours ago, bobfa said:

A couple of notes. 

1. as of 04/04/19 the Euphony folks changed their DNS settings so some things are still propagating.

2. a new release is out as of 04/05/19 (supposed to fix the bootup issues some folks were having)

I upgraded this morning and when there is time I will start doing some testing.  Just music in the background for work now.

I don't know why

I've tried multiple times to update the euphony ( mine is the trial version)

but when it download to 90%, it always stop and say "complete with error"

Any idea?

thanks

22 hours ago, bobfa said:

a new release is out as of 04/05/19 (supposed to fix the bootup issues some folks were having)

The new version also has bridging and CPU frequency min/max setting

my HQPe license is no longer recognized in the new version. is that just me being unlucky or is it a bug?

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

31 minutes ago, johnli said:

I don't know why

I've tried multiple times to update the euphony ( mine is the trial version)

but when it download to 90%, it always stop and say "complete with error"

Any idea?

thanks

I have no idea.  Put in a ticket on their help system.  Sorry you are having trouble.

I did a download of the Euphony today and burned the Image of Euphony to an 16 GB USB stick on NUC7PJYH.

I set up via a Win Laptop and when finished I rebooted. After I connected an IPAD to the euphony via the IP address.

I did’nt change a thing In the BIOS of the NUC7PHYH and I am running Stylus.

Cheers Monge

2 minutes ago, Monge said:

I did a download of the Euphony today and burned the Image of Euphony to an 16 GB USB stick on NUC7PJYH.

I set up via a Win Laptop and when finished I rebooted. After I connected an IPAD to the euphony via the IP address.

I did’nt change a thing In the BIOS NUC7PHYH and I am running Stylus.

Cheers Monge

Let us know what you think!

I tried Euphony with Stylus player with Intel NUCPJYH and I like what I heard. 

To me the Sound is fuller or warm if I Can say so.

It’s Easy to setup and like.

But I had problems with Tidal, was slow and chrashing.

I Think the PJYH isn’nt enough here.

I also tried upsampling via HQPlayer embedded In Stylus. Nice integration.

Just my to cents.

But I love AL headless with all the tweaking.

Cheers

21 minutes ago, Monge said:

I also tried upsampling via HQPlayer embedded In Stylus. Nice integration.

If Stylus is an enhanced version of MPD then does this mean Euphony built an integration step to use Stylus as a front end to HQPe, or can I do this with MPD too (say, in AL)?

35 minutes ago, ted_b said:

If Stylus is an enhanced version of MPD then does this mean Euphony built an integration step to use Stylus as a front end to HQPe, or can I do this with MPD too (say, in AL)?

Hi ted-b,

Good question.

I think you better ask @hifi25nl aka Piero  here

I am not an Linux expert. Good luck.

Cheers Monge

4 hours ago, ted_b said:

Euphony insist that Stylus is not just a disguised MPD, but written from scratch with it's own music database, library manager and player.

1 minute ago, Dev said:

If you have music files on an external USB drive connected to Euphony, has anybody been able to copy files into it from outside ?

Yes, you click on the "copy to euphony" button, If you mean you want to copy the files from the external drive to the local drive where the Euphony OS is.