IGNORED

A proposal: the Objectivist Audio Review magazine

21 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Huh? Perhaps you’ve been gone for a while or are just ignoring our articles by mitchco and archimago. 

I prefer to offer both subjective and objective points of view. 

First off, I post here infrequently but I did recently suggest some speakers for you to consider.

I must have made a real impression ?

Sorry Chris, I should have been more specific. My post was overlong.

I'm not saying that you are a flaming anything except music lover ?

But in my experience, the majority of forum threads on this site deal with subjective topics.

Obviously, you are famously flexible on thread topics and content.

You only 86 the most egregious members besides trying to talk them down 2 or 3 times.

I know I wouldn't\couldn't be as forgiving as you.

EDIT:

Yes beerandmusic, I am asleep.

I prefer to call it napping.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Does constructing a USB de-evilizer count?

Have you been able to verify that it may under some circumstances result in a SQ improvement ?

If it does, measurements that can show the improvement /changes would be nice at a later more convenient time. ( given the availability of suitable test equipment) .:D

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

25 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I agree that the labels of "subjective" and "objective" are meaningless, and end up being used here as weapons rather than meaningful labels.

Can we step away from our corners and look at this from a different angle? Ponder this: why are we all here - on a site called Computer Audiophile? Aren't we here because we love the experience of listening to music on computer-based audio systems?

If we can agree to that, then the next question is: what are our objectives when we participate on this site?

1. To learn how to "improve" our audio systems from the collective knowledge of the community?
  2. To contribute our knowledge to help others in the community?
  3. To debate and argue about topics related to computer audio?
  4. To mock and bait the "other side?" I admit - this is a fun pursuit!

As an empiricist - I like @lmitche's description - I'd like to understand the objective approach to 1 and 2. Let's focus on 1. Say you have a system comprised of an end to end collection of gear. You are interested in upgrading your digital component A, and based on your interactions and learnings here, you have settled on B. How does this work in the objective world?

1. Do you only consider replacement candidates for A that measure "better" than it? 
  2. Assuming candidate B measures better, do you still listen to it - gasp, subjectively! - before you buy it?
  3. Or are measurements good enough for you?

The reason I ask these questions is that I see a lot of hostility and ridicule for subjective methods here on CA, but are there threads here that show people going from A to B using purely objective criteria? If so, any examples?

I mostly come here to find the best bang for the buck.

I like to read and share about new products.

I likely would buy anything (within my budget) that measured better, even without trying first, because i could always return or resell it.  i have tried literally hundreds if not thousands of different pieces of hardware.  

I also come here because i "enjoy the debate".  I also come to read and share song and album choices....my listening tastes have expanded exponentially thanks to input here.

As far as your last question:  but are there threads here that show people going from A to B using purely objective criteria? If so, any examples?

Absolutely....the 2 people i trust the most here are achmiago (sp?) and miska...they both are unbiased, honest, have a lot of knowledge, are professional without the BS, are very objective, and i take almost everything they say as gospel!  (mansr, I would rate higher if less BS -smile...but spice is good).

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

As an empiricist...

Empiricist is a reasonable philosophical position (not considered current science but has a history). Objectivist/subjectivist seem to be purely audiophilia. What does empiricism mean to you? Ever hear of "sense data"? How do you integrate measurements into your empiricism?

For example: if you look through a telescope are you seeing what you look at? If you hear with the aid of a microphone/speaker are you listening?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

It's quite easy to look at things from both sides of the fence - what I call competent playback is so striking in its subjective impact - the difference that, say, Fitzcaraldo215 would hear between well done multichannel playback, and stereo - that testing people 'objectively' as to whether they could distinguish these two levels of experience would be a trite exercise.

The only thing that matters is getting the switch from one level to the next - trying to be objective about perceived differences between two varieties of the lower level is close to being a completely pointless exercise - like comparing the handling of two cars built in the 1960's ...

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

Struggling to understand how this is objective?

Both Miska and Archimago opinions are almost always objective, and I buy what they say....glad Jabbr chimed in...he also is another i respect a lot.  Knowledgeable, unbiased, objective, and not a lot of BS.  I also like barrows and superdad also, although they both have agenda with their products, they also offer a lot of objective information to the community.

11 hours ago, jabbr said:

Empiricist is a reasonable philosophical position (not considered current science but has a history). Objectivist/subjectivist seem to be purely audiophilia. What does empiricism mean to you? Ever hear of "sense data"? How do you integrate measurements into your empiricism?

For example: if you look through a telescope are you seeing what you look at? If you hear with the aid of a microphone/speaker are you listening?

The wikipedia definition of empirical evidence applies nicely to audiophilia.

Empirical evidence, also known as sensory experience, is the information received by means of the senses, particularly by observation and documentation of patterns and behavior through experimentation.

Isn't empirical evidence the basis for hypothesis testing? Empiricism doesn't rule out observations taken by measuring tools. All forms of evidence count.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I could do without the subjective reports; I never read them anyway.

I'm not saying that they're not useful, only that they are generally not observation-driven.

This is a good example of what a speaker review should be (blind auditions, six person listening panel, direct comparisons with competing equipment, measurements):

S100_HiFi News.pdf

This lens testing website produces lens measurements, sometimes using samples supplied by readers:

http://www.opticallimits.com/

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

Empirical evidence is the basis for any experimental science, like chemistry, physics, biology, etc.

I think you are confusing it with anecdotal evidence, which is also a subset of empirical evidence (but is not considered to be the basis of any well-established field of science).

Not to say anecdotal evidence can't be a spur for hypothesis formulation in scientific or science-related fields, but for actually testing hypotheses you need more.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Although I think it is quite possible for something to measure well but sound terrible, I'm not sure there are many examples of the opposite -- things that measure quite poorly but sound wonderful (unless it is euphonic distortion, so maybe we should add in accurate reproduction).  

In other words, good measurements are probably a necessary but not a sufficient condition.

1 minute ago, barrows said:

The high end audio companies I am aware of have engineering staffs made up of actual engineers, and own and regularly use highly technical testing gear.

Well, there's at least one company that consistently blames lack of measurement gear when asked to provide any evidence whatsoever supporting the efficacy of their products.