IGNORED

A proposal: the Objectivist Audio Review magazine

"I’m being more than a little snarky here, but if you guys want a magazine or website that is truly objectivist and as unbiased as possible here is the way to do it. It wouldn't be ad supported, it have have no industry ties, it wouldn't be dependent on manufacturer loans, and the reviewers wouldn't be old guard, entrenched men. It would rely on blind tests and measurements to serve the subscribers." --- Steve Guttenberg

Interested in having a critical, reasonable discussion of the content of this video in particular. Steve raises a number of questions and doubts. I think this could be a good place to address some of these particulars.

Here are the RULES for said site:  (audiosciencereview)      Iron Fist, say I

Although it’s often been expressed please do not quote or publicly address red moderation messages. Any protest you wish to lodge needs to done so through our conversation system.

Public discussion concerning moderation actions are forbid, again start a conversation with me and or amir.

Ignoring this will result in posts being deleted , any protesting threads that are started will be deleted and if you persist you will be served with a reply ban and sanctions will follow.

If you decide to take quotes from the resulting conversations ( PM’s) and use my or amirs words as basis for more public protest you will be banned.

Thank you , sorry for the formality and tone here but despite me communicating this to members when moderating it seems the message needs to become set in stone here.

May 12, 2018
When I discover Insults you can expect to see the post disappear as a. It’s rude and b. It tends to derail threads sending them to the gutter.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Just now, NOMBEDES said:
Here are the RULES for said site:  (audiosciencereview)      Iron Fist, say I

Although it’s often been expressed please do not quote or publicly address red moderation messages. Any protest you wish to lodge needs to done so through our conversation system.

Public discussion concerning moderation actions are forbid, again start a conversation with me and or amir.

Ignoring this will result in posts being deleted , any protesting threads that are started will be deleted and if you persist you will be served with a reply ban and sanctions will follow.

If you decide to take quotes from the resulting conversations ( PM’s) and use my or amirs words as basis for more public protest you will be banned.

Thank you , sorry for the formality and tone here but despite me communicating this to members when moderating it seems the message needs to become set in stone here.

May 12, 2018
When I discover Insults you can expect to see the post disappear as a. It’s rude and b. It tends to derail threads sending them to the gutter.

I really like that approach. It doesn't shut down communication or attempt to overly censor. They are expressing the proper channels for that type of communication without it having pollute and make threads hard to follow and it seems to be working. 

1 minute ago, plissken said:

Which horses are those?

I see two main ones:

1)  his personal brand biases

2)  his subjective idiosyncrasies on the meaning of objective measurements

This means that ironically Amir has not escaped the subjectivist trap that he explicitly dislikes.  Not that the site does not have its uses, and @wgscott has the right idea of course.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

On 6/29/2017 at 8:15 PM, Sal1950 said:

"Outlaw" along with "Underground" etc,  were terms used to describe audio print media back in the day that, in the main, started out free of advertising and supposedly were more free to review components without outside pressures.

On the list of  "MainStream"     were Audio, Stereo Review, High Fidelity --------

The Outlaws were Stereophile, TAS, Audio Critic, IAR,  --------------

Of the Outlaws, as here, there came a bit of a split between them. Some took a mainly subjective slant, others a objective one. Little is left in the Hi Fi print media of the objective approach, the most glaring exception being John Atkinsons measurement tags on some reviews at Stereophile.

What "one might have discovered in "outlaw" print" is exactly what you find in this thread. Divisive approaches to putting together a Hi Fi.  LOL

Not sure if I established relevance to CA where nobody else was considering it.  In any case I will chance a second OT-oken notification to bring Sal's quote over because it feel it is very relevant.  Also because with CA celebrating a decade on the web it doesn't hurt to look forwards (or back).  

57 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The writers for CA have nothing to gain by maintaining the status quo. My only requirement is that they are honest and feel good about their articles. If they are happy with what they've written, I believe others will be as well. 

I've said many times before, I'd hire ten @mitchco's in a heartbeat. 

In addition, I look at people reading our articles as giving their precious time to us. So, we better give them something back for that time. Whether that's knowledge, help, entertainment, or something else doesn't matter to me, but we better deliver something. 

CA will never end up as a status quo publication. That's a dead end and extremely uninteresting to me. I like to push boundaries and I understand how the internet works. I'm actively working to expand our base of writers on both the subjective and objective side. I enjoy reading both type of articles and believe there's a place for both on CA. The trouble is finding good writers. 

What will CA end up as?  

5 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

"I’m being more than a little snarky here, but if you guys want a magazine or website that is truly objectivist and as unbiased as possible here is the way to do it. It wouldn't be ad supported, it have have no industry ties, it wouldn't be dependent on manufacturer loans, and the reviewers wouldn't be old guard, entrenched men. It would rely on blind tests and measurements to serve the subscribers." --- Steve Guttenberg

There are sites that are more clearly "objectivist" & devoted to measurements (ASR has been given as example), and also sites that are more "subjectivist", there are sites that are tailored to headphones, there are sites where certain manufacturers maintain an active presence. There are also sites which are more purely technical e.g. DIYAudio and in which subjective impressions are not as well tolerated.

A problem with any site that is too specific is that the discussion can get limited to those who share the same viewpoint. This can be good but it can also be limiting. This site has more of a cross-pollination of ideas and viewpoints. I would safely assume that if all the objectivists wanted a purely objectivist site, they would participate only in any of the "objectivist" or technical sites.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

7 minutes ago, Jud said:

What I'd really love to see are reviews that are critical and entertainingly written (that was The Absolute Sound for about 5 minutes in the early days before it took advertising)

Is taking advertising generally harmful to the critical quality of an audiophile mag.? Is suspicion of bias the greatest problem with accepting (or even soliciting) advertising? Is this more an issue of reader perception than of actually affecting reviews with biases?

A somewhat related issue: what are the pros and cons of long term loans? Do these usually go hand in hand with advertising?

2 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Is taking advertising generally harmful to the critical quality of an audiophile mag.?

Going by the history, I'd have to say yes in the high end audio world. The NY Times, Wall Street Journal, etc., can afford to have a few advertisers PO'd at them.  There are fewer advertisers to choose from in audiophiledom, and news that you've given someone a poor review travels fast in a small fraternity.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

By the way: "Objective" can be branding and marketing as well.  My Facebook feed contains a Massdrop-sponsored ad for NwAVGuy's Objective 2 headphone amp that starts with this modest objective statement from someone who apparently works in the hardware/software engineering field: "Literally the best value headphone amplifier in existence."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.