IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

Bob

If Spectrum has followed Xfinity's lead and you are using their supplied router or gateway the ability to change the DNS in their setup menu may have been removed. I discovered this a couple of years ago when mine needed to be replaced and the ability to go back to an independent DNS had been removed.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

+1. I totally forgot about this one. Switching to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 has resovled several strange issues. 

Thanks for that suggestion.

How ridiculous that one would need to "remember this one" when wanting to listen to some music. Qobuz (and Tidal) are really fantastic, but there is a severe cost. Every time I settle down to listen to some music, I half-expect to have to spend some of my time in IT fault-finding. Windows quirks, or sound settings quirks, or flaky applications, or internet issues (which in turns breaks down to ISP, copper line provider, router, wifi, and now DNS provider!). The last time this happened, it took me 15 minutes to identify that I just needed to turn my DAC off and on again, a "fix" which has never ever happened before on that one component in the long, convoluted and flaky chain.

Not surprising that normal people prefer to listen "on Alexa".

7 hours ago, JMD54 said:

Bob

If Spectrum has followed Xfinity's lead and you are using their supplied router or gateway the ability to change the DNS in their setup menu may have been removed. I discovered this a couple of years ago when mine needed to be replaced and the ability to go back to an independent DNS had been removed.

Wow, this is bad. ISPs do this so they can collect info on their users through DNS queries. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Qobuz will need to elevate their Search and Artist Bio game in the wake of the 2020 Grammy announcements. 

Album of the Year artists H.E.R. and Lil Nas X can't even be found in a search, although I did find H.E.R.'s nominated album "I Used to Know Her" by searching for the album name.

Qobuz has no bio for Lil Nas X, arguably the artist with the most press in 2019 and the only artist ever to hit number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 and remain there for 19 weeks. Also, Qobuz has no bio for Album of the Year and Best New Artist nominee Billie Eilish, nor eight-time nominee Lizzo.

As you go through the 80 Grammy categories, the holes in metadata pile up, and the missing artists are the opposite of obscure. I realize that it will take Qobuz some time to build out artist profiles and the music library — but the year's most acclaimed artists, songs, and albums are a good place to start.

@JMD54 @PAR @Mark Dirac @The Computer Audiophile couldn't agree more and i didn't know internet providers like Spectrum did that --- just reinforces me to have to stay with Spectrum as in upstate central ny they are really the only player Fios has limited inroads and only other 'providers' are Directv and DISH. Will live with problems they create and keep my fingers crossed

thanks all for the input

9 hours ago, JMD54 said:

Bob

What is the exact model number of the Xfinity box you cannot DNS?  I am VERY interested.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow, this is bad. ISPs do this so they can collect info on their users through DNS queries.

Chrome and other browsers are moving to DNS over HTTPS, so DNS lookups will be encrypted.  But I think the DNS provider has to support the protocol.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

10 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@bobfa @The Computer Audiophile someone suggested that at ROON to compensate for their slowness and loss of services/need to resign in and length of time it takes for albums to play etc but I am hesitant to change at this point but thanks for the idea---Spectrum is awful cost wise horrible redundant cable stations etc but their tech people are fantastic and always come through(always speak to an american usually somewhere in the south or midwest) plus changing DNS worries me because of my electronic med records just too old and set in my ways to try a change like that.

But as I said for now my problem is fixed and only thing that remains is the minutes it takes ROON to load and sync my libraries and A+3 is perfect again as is Qobuz.

@bobbmd

I will have to write up something to de-mystify the DNS setting.   This is something that you can ?NORMALLY? Change about your network.  Changing DNS is a very very good tool in your toolbox.  This is nothing to be feared.  

4 minutes ago, rickca said:

Chrome and other browsers are moving to DNS over HTTPS, so DNS lookups will be encrypted.  But I think the DNS provider has to support the protocol.

And the biggest pushback has come from ISPs and those more interested in controlling this traffic. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, bobfa said:

@bobbmd

I will have to write up something to de-mystify the DNS setting.   This is something that you can ?NORMALLY? Change about your network.  Changing DNS is a very very good tool in your toolbox.  This is nothing to be feared.  

It’s like using a different mapping application on one’s phone. 

3 hours ago, Talisman said:

As you go through the 80 Grammy categories, the holes in metadata pile up, and the missing artists are the opposite of obscure.

I personally don't attach the foundation Qobuz was built upon to industry award ceremonies.  That foundation being music you can't find any and everywhere in profuse amounts.  Specifically in certain genres where high res music that wasn't stepped on by a compressor is prevalent.  If you look at the direct selling point of the streaming options you might find that splashy mainstream popcentric atmosphere as the fullest expression of what Tidal courts customers using.  Not saying these 80 odd selections are unimportant to many of Qobuz' customers.  Just appreciative entire worlds beyond it do exist and continue being nurtured.  

The more seasoned have accepted no single entity is capable (or willing in that case) of doing what multiple currently provide.  Try out Roon if prose entitles your listening, HQP if you feel the music only truly lives at the highest rates.  Dictate less and derive more enjoyment out of what you find you can put together for your own personal needs.  Three sentences on an overexposed artist shouldn't be that heavily weighted. :)

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

And the biggest pushback has come from ISPs and those more interested in controlling this traffic. 

AT&T fiber gateways prevent DNS change. If you want to use an alternate DNS server you have to put a third party router after it and put it in the IP Pass-through mode. The current firmware is stable in this configuration in my setup.

27 minutes ago, bobflood said:

AT&T fiber gateways prevent DNS change. If you want to use an alternate DNS server you have to put a third party router after it and put it in the IP Pass-through mode. The current firmware is stable in this configuration in my setup.

Wow. 

I have CenturyLink fiber and replaced it’s equipment as soon as I could. It may have the same DNS restrictions. 

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

To set your own DNS using Comcast/Xfinity hardware you have to disable Safe Browsing, or Protected Browsing, whatever they call it.  You still can't change it on the device, but when you change your computers DNS settings, it actually works rather than being re-directed to Comcasts DNS service.

Saw this at a gas station on 22nd and Lyndale yesterday 

FBB967D2-4579-45FF-894B-B1B0150F0FE1.jpeg

2 hours ago, JMD54 said:

Bob 

Mine is a  Arris TG1682G.

All of this is off-topic on this thread.  ISPs are monetizing your DNS and more.

@bobfa solves this problem by “spending $$”. I purchase my own modem and build my own network.  I subscribe to business class service that is unlimited. (Xfininity anyway).  No more Twilight Zone!  “We control the Horizontal”

1 hour ago, rando said:

I personally don't attach the foundation Qobuz was built upon to industry award ceremonies.  That foundation being music you can't find any and everywhere in profuse amounts.  Specifically in certain genres where high res music that wasn't stepped on by a compressor is prevalent.  If you look at the direct selling point of the streaming options you might find that splashy mainstream popcentric atmosphere as the fullest expression of what Tidal courts customers using.  Not saying these 80 odd selections are unimportant to many of Qobuz' customers.  Just appreciative entire worlds beyond it do exist and continue being nurtured.  

The more seasoned have accepted no single entity is capable (or willing in that case) of doing what multiple currently provide.  Try out Roon if prose entitles your listening, HQP if you feel the music only truly lives at the highest rates.  Dictate less and derive more enjoyment out of what you find you can put together for your own personal needs.  Three sentences on an overexposed artist shouldn't be that heavily weighted. :)

I believe you missed my point entirely.

You are certainly correct: Qobuz doesn't exist to publicize those poor, underexposed pop stars any more than they already are. However, like all other major streaming services, Qobuz is properly and admirably promoted as a service for all users. While other music services may elevate certain types of music on their promo pages, all music services here in the USA democratically offer a remarkably similar 40+ million tracks. I'm just saying that they should be equally democratic about artist bios and search results.

The overriding point I was making is that Grammy nominees are low-hanging fruit for metadata. I don't know where Qobuz gets their metadata, but there is a wealth of information on these nominees.

Also, it's not 80 Grammy selections — it's 80 categories, each with a slew of selections. And it's not all pop music. People ignorant of the Grammys think that it's all pop, because that's what's highlighted on the broadcast. There's World music, classical, Latin, jazz, and many more categories you would agree are right at home on Qobuz. They even celebrate the year's best-engineered albums. A good number of the nominees offer high-resolution albums.

Finally, this is an issues forum. Thank you, but I already know how to enjoy music, with eclectic tastes light-years beyond pop. However, if we didn't bring up issues helpful for improving the music service we love, there would be no purpose to this forum.

When in WASAPI (Exclusive Mode) in the Qobuz desktop app, if I pause a song and try to listen to any other Windows sounds, the Qobuz app won't let go of Exclusive Mode and let me, for example, watch and listen to a YouTube video.

The only way to hear any other sounds while Qobuz is stopped is to exit out of the Qobuz app entirely. That's not ideal at work because I need to zip back and forth between Qobuz and web videos at times.

If I listen to Qobuz via the Audirvana app and hit the Stop button, Audirvana properly lets go of Exclusive Mode and I can listen to other sources on the PC. However, I prefer the Qobuz app. (I do realize the Qobuz doesn't have a Stop button, only a Pause button.)

I know that the WASAPI Shared setting will let me do what I ask, but I'm after the cleaner audio path of Exclusive Mode with options to hear other sources when the Qobuz desktop app is stopped.