IGNORED

Qualitative differences - audiophiles vs regular people

So, what is it about audiophiles, or hi-fi aficionados if you prefer, that allows us to appreciate hi-fi where a regular person doesn’t? I thought about traits that we seem to share in general:

1. Higher IQ / intelligence

2. Professionally successful

3. More thoughtful in nature

4. Middle or upper-middle class

Are we just higher-quality people and something in our genetic makeup also predisposes us to enjoying hi-fi, and by extension hi-fi music? What are others’ thoughts on this?

males. like gadgets. get obssessive about hobbies and having the best.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

males. like gadgets. get obssessive about hobbies and having the best.

This is exactly it. I get to meet plenty of different people from all walks of life in my profession, and men are all the same. They obsess over their hobbies, be it carpentry, model building, duck shooting, fishing, cars, motorbikes, bee keeping, boating, calligraphy, art, etc. If you show a tiny bit of interest they can rabbit on for hours about the finer points of their particular hobby. 

6 hours ago, GUTB said:

1. Higher IQ / intelligence

2. Professionally successful

3. More thoughtful in nature

4. Middle or upper-middle class

Wow. So this is how you think about yourself, right ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

2 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

Perhaps audiophiles are professional trolls and Gutb just tries very hard to get to the top of the hill - or the bottom of the cave...

He keeps telling us he is neurotypical, although he seems to use the word with the opposite of the now commonly accepted meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotypical

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I think audiophiles are far more fixated/obsessive with the audio gear themselves and how they sound, measure or which components they are using than other people. Some audiophiles are more interested in technical aspects, audio scheme and measurements while others are more interested in how the gear or records “sounds”, however for both groups it’s about the hardware.  

Other than the more than common passion for listening, evaluate, reading, tweaking, talking and thinking about audio gear or different audio codec’s and their pros and cons, I don’t think we are so different  :P

I’m obsessed with generalisations.  I have no idea why.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

the gender bias is the only really interesting factor here

and one can easily construct an "evolutionary story" about why 

males are obsessed about gadgets because males who were obsessed about sticks, fire-sharpened sticks, and stone tools would have been selected for in all species of Homo, and maybe some pongids too

females are obsessed about social relationships, not objects, and this is common in many other social primates

back to the OP... anything I could say might be interpreted as a personal attack, even if it was a recommendation from the DSM

Neurotic?

Neurotic habits are automatic or ritualized patterns of overt behavior that people engage in to alleviate anxiety and provide a sense of familiar security. The problem is that, carried out over the long term, the habitual patterns are maladaptive. A classic example is the anxious drinker.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)