1 hour ago, left channel said:

@tapatrick as @jhwalker said there is a hi-res streaming tier, Sublime+. It may have been created after you left Qobuz.

Sublime+ is not at all cheap, but one version of the US pricing I've seen makes it much more reasonable.

I saw this in the small print too which made me wonder.... 

“At the request of the right holders or artist representatives, it is possible that all or part of their discography is missing from the music streaming services. In that case, you will only have access to a short sample. Qobuz, by also offering paid downloads, allows you to “unlock” streaming by buying these albums.”

I will give the sublime+ a go to see how it works and sounds. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

7 hours ago, tapatrick said:

I saw this in the small print too which made me wonder.... 

“At the request of the right holders or artist representatives, it is possible that all or part of their discography is missing from the music streaming services. In that case, you will only have access to a short sample. Qobuz, by also offering paid downloads, allows you to “unlock” streaming by buying these albums.”

I will give the sublime+ a go to see how it works and sounds. 

An equivalent situation on Tidal is when most tracks of an album are greyed out and you can't click on them. Also if no part of an album can be streamed on Tidal, then the album isn't even displayed. Tidal tried selling downloads for a while but dropped the idea, so with them that's as far as you can go. On Qobuz in the same situations you can at least listen to samples and buy downloads.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

• 1 month later...

I was lucky enough to get in on the beta test so I am subscribed now to Quobuz in the US. I did notice some problems with the desktop app on Windows 10 Pro sometimes playback would distort and I would have to clear the cache and restart the app to correct the problem. Bugs like this might be the reason for a delay. That being said, once I installed Audirvana+ I have had no problems at all streaming from Quobuz or Tidal.

On 11/26/2018 at 12:33 PM, exdmd said:

I was lucky enough to get in on the beta test so I am subscribed now to Quobuz in the US. I did notice some problems with the desktop app on Windows 10 Pro sometimes playback would distort and I would have to clear the cache and restart the app to correct the problem. Bugs like this might be the reason for a delay. That being said, once I installed Audirvana+ I have had no problems at all streaming from Quobuz or Tidal.

When you say the "desktop app" do you mean Roon or just a new US version of their app?

It seems odd that their desktop app would have that issue since those who use the EU version from the US do not seem to report it.

Anyway 2019 is just a month away.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 11/26/2018 at 9:33 AM, exdmd said:

5 hours ago, mourip said:

When you say the "desktop app" do you mean Roon or just a new US version of their app?

It seems odd that their desktop app would have that issue since those who use the EU version from the US do not seem to report it.

Anyway 2019 is just a month away.

Count me as one of the UK account holders roaming in the USA who have never experienced that distortion problem. I've been a Qobuz customer for over a year now, using primarily the Qobuz desktop app.

• 1 month later...

@left channel am asking you this as you seem to be quite knowledgeable about Qobuz in USA( i will also reach out to David Craff ,Jud and Audio Doctor)

I have had a Qobuz account since 2013 in USA with a 'French' address of New France(actually New York State)

What should I do with this account? Keep it or get a real USA account( if i change to STUDIO the price will be same as what I pay now in Euros for HiFi)? What do you think will happen to the hundreds of playlists I have made on my original account and that are also on A+3? Finally, do you think the wonderful European/world wide albums and artists offered on my current account ie new issues editors picks etc will be the same or  truncated for USA market?

I have also sent an email to Qobuz support but I don't know if they will understand what I am asking. I know I am not the only USA person who has had Qobuz since 2013 or earlier maybe someone else in my situation can tell me what they are going to do.

thanks

bobbmd

@bobbmd I don't know all the answers yet, and I suspect neither do the Qobuz staff, but here are my thoughts.

One of the Qobuz folks participating on AS (the-forum-formerly-known-as-CA :-) said something about intending to offer a path for users to switch from the EU to the US service, but had no details to offer and for all we know that will involve transferring credit only.  However, you can use Soundiiz to transfer your playlists between two Qobuz accounts. Someone else here has done that successfully to switch between Italian and French accounts.

It is also not yet clear what they will license in the US market and how that will differ from Europe, but at least one participant in the closed US beta has reported that the US catalog does not appear fully fleshed-out. I suppose as in Europe, satisfaction will depend on which genres you prefer. All I can say is that I intend to maintain accounts on both services to compare, at least until the next annual renewal of one or the other.

I have a trial, anyway to get this to play thru Roon, or if not, getting it to play through my DAC/Pre/Amp?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

4 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

I have a trial, anyway to get this to play thru Roon, or if not, getting it to play through my DAC/Pre/Amp?

Qobuz and Roon have reportedly been in negotiations. There may be be an announcement at CES next week. Or not.

I use LMS/Squeezebox to play Qobuz Hi-Res around the house, and there may be other solutions. What hardware are you using for Roon?