Well, I’ve been wearing the betaQ out.  Late at night I just shift to headphones.  Found ALL Credence Clearwater (not on Tidal).  Also several obscure jazz and classical not on Tidal.  There are a few things the other way, too (Adele 19?).  But on balance given the sheer size of the catalogue, the notes and articles on the music and not a single drop out, I am trying to find a reason to continue the Tidal subscription.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:59 AM, Hollypoint said:

Well, I’ve been wearing the betaQ out.  Late at night I just shift to headphones.  Found ALL Credence Clearwater (not on Tidal).  Also several obscure jazz and classical not on Tidal.  There are a few things the other way, too (Adele 19?).  But on balance given the sheer size of the catalogue, the notes and articles on the music and not a single drop out, I am trying to find a reason to continue the Tidal subscription.

FYI, try  Creedence Clearwater Revival and as they do show up on Tidal.

The Truth Is Out There

@Hollypoint: i did go to credence on Qobuz Studio-i have a ‘french’ address no USA beta yet even the HiRes albums sound just like i remember their cds sort of harsh and shrill sounding not all of them but some so the streams even in 24/96 or whatever don’t sound that great but i think that is a factor of original recordings/i then went to Deezer Spotify and TIDAL all sound harsh to me but i really like credence so i don’t mind

Does anyone know what happens to Qobuz hi-res content you buy for download during the beta period if you don't continue to subscribe afterward? Is it treated any differently than content I might purchase through HDTracks or ProStudioMasters?

Thanks

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

In listening to the "same" recording on Tidal and Qobuz I'm surprised at how different they sound.  Tidal seems to have a more rounded bass-heavy sound to it compared to a clearer but bass light sound to Qobuz.  The difference is greater than I normally hear when listening to a 16/44 and a 24/192 version of the same recording.  Anyone else hearing these same differences?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

2 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@Hollypoint: i did go to credence on Qobuz Studio-i have a ‘french’ address no USA beta yet even the HiRes albums sound just like i remember their cds sort of harsh and shrill sounding not all of them but some so the streams even in 24/96 or whatever don’t sound that great but i think that is a factor of original recordings/i then went to Deezer Spotify and TIDAL all sound harsh to me but i really like credence so i don’t mind

I think that was the way the tracks were engineered, or maybe just the way the Fogerty’s tuned their guitars😉

3 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

Does anyone know what happens to Qobuz hi-res content you buy for download during the beta period if you don't continue to subscribe afterward? Is it treated any differently than content I might purchase through HDTracks or ProStudioMasters?

Thanks

On another forum a Qobuz rep has confirmed that if you buy it, it's yours. No need for a subscription. The only "downloads" you would lose are any you've cached from the streaming service for offline listening, but that is not the same thing.

3 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

In listening to the "same" recording on Tidal and Qobuz I'm surprised at how different they sound.  Tidal seems to have a more rounded bass-heavy sound to it compared to a clearer but bass light sound to Qobuz.  The difference is greater than I normally hear when listening to a 16/44 and a 24/192 version of the same recording.  Anyone else hearing these same differences?

I haven't done a lot of comparing, but I did heard the same thing once, to the point of really disliking the Tidal version. I then discovered that the MQA album I thought was from the same original master was actually based on a later remix and included extra bass emphasis. When I found the correct match, the Qobuz and Tidal versions sounded equally good to me.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

22 minutes ago, left channel said:

I haven't done a lot of comparing, but I did heard the same thing once, to the point of really disliking the Tidal version. I then discovered that the MQA album I thought was from the same original master was actually based on a later remix and included extra bass emphasis. When I found the correct match, the Qobuz and Tidal versions sounded equally good to me.

I think you are right that the MQA mastering accounts for a lot of the differences; particularly the boomier bass; but the greater air/clarity on Qobuz versus more euphony/smoothing on Tidal seems to occur across same versions of a recording on both (at least after a dozen or so comparisons mostly on classical music).  Almost like the difference between PCM 16/44 and DSD64.  I'm doing these comparisons on headphones so I'm probably being picky at a level I wouldn't be through speakers, and, as with most differences, I can't say I uniformly prefer one over the other. 

@TAV@left channel and anyone else FYI: the email for Qobuz USA support is [email protected] I got this from a Mark Satlof of an LA media company called Shoreline with an office in Brooklyn

I also wrote to a Dan Mackta the new media director at Qobuz USA via Linkedin

I haven't received a response from either ie how to move or get moved  all my playlists/favorites/purchases from my 'French' account without having to create a new email address for USA account (see @TAV response to me above)

Anyone have same success @TAV had with doing this?

Anyone have a USA phone number for Qobuz USA in NYC?

I also haven't received a response to my request for a Beta STUDIO account(I used my email address and also used my spouse's) how long does it take to get a response?

thanks bobbmd

3 hours ago, exdmd said:

SQ on Qobuz edges out Tidal for me. Some classical releases on Tidal are not enjoyable due to audible watermarks I do not hear on the same recording on Qobuz. If Tidal did not have some content I enjoy that Qobuz does not I would drop Tidal. Still may.

I’ve been trying to decide if I can tell a difference, too.   (All at 16/44). Bartoli’s newest CD sounded the same to me.  Just critically listened to Maggie Richards (sort of 21st century techo folk) new CD on both, song on Q/ song on T.  I can hear some differences (so can my wife) but can’t decide if we prefer one to the other yet.  Have yet to have a drop out on Q, still occasionally on T.

1 hour ago, Hollypoint said:

I’ve been trying to decide if I can tell a difference, too.   (All at 16/44). Bartoli’s newest CD sounded the same to me.  Just critically listened to Maggie Richards (sort of 21st century techo folk) new CD on both, song on Q/ song on T.  I can hear some differences (so can my wife) but can’t decide if we prefer one to the other yet.  Have yet to have a drop out on Q, still occasionally on T.

IMO the point where Qobuz takes a leap ahead of TIDAL versus a jump is the Hi-Res. The 24/96 of Shelby Lynne's Just A Little Lovin' I am listening to right now sounds amazing. That's probably due to the fact that MQA is a lossy format and FLAC is not.

No electron left behind.

I am just a few hours into my Qobuz free trial (US Beta) so my observations are far from conclusive but my initial impression is that the Hi-Res streaming sounds better than Tidal's MQA....not surprising really I suppose.  I am kinda surprised at the number of hi-res albums that are available for streaming.  So far I am liking it.  I am listening to it through my Lumin T1 streamer/DAC using the Lumin app.  A few months ago I switched to Roon and clearly Roon is my preferred app.  My ultimate decision to keep Qobuz will depend upon whether it is incorporated into the Roon app in the future.

Once my one month trial was over for the beta my card started getting charged so even if they drag the beta out I will still be good. Not using Roon so no problem there. If I cancel anything it will be Tidal though some MQA tracks on Tidal sound quite good as long as I have the desktop app do the first unfold to 96. At least the MQA Masters I have listened to on Tidal so far do not have that annoying watermark.

54 minutes ago, randyhat said:

What is the watermark you refer to?  I have never heard of an audio watermark?  Can you provide an example of a Tidal album that is watermarked?

Try listening to solo piano using the same tracks on Tidal and Qobuz. One I can suggest is Yuja Wang's Sonatas & Etudes album. Also Google "Tidal UMG watermark playlist" for more examples and browse Universal's Audible Watermark.

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

IMO the point where Qobuz takes a leap ahead of TIDAL versus a jump is the Hi-Res. The 24/96 of Shelby Lynne's Just A Little Lovin' I am listening to right now sounds amazing. That's probably due to the fact that MQA is a lossy format and FLAC is not.

Or simply that Qobuz are providing real hi res files instead of MQA in some instances.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

15 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Didn't I say just that?

Great minds....  😉

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

quobuz files sounds better than tidal ones on Roon too

12 hours ago, randyhat said:

I am just a few hours into my Qobuz free trial (US Beta) so my observations are far from conclusive but my initial impression is that the Hi-Res streaming sounds better than Tidal's MQA....not surprising really I suppose.  I am kinda surprised at the number of hi-res albums that are available for streaming.  So far I am liking it.  I am listening to it through my Lumin T1 streamer/DAC using the Lumin app.  A few months ago I switched to Roon and clearly Roon is my preferred app.  My ultimate decision to keep Qobuz will depend upon whether it is incorporated into the Roon app in the future.

Quobuz files already sounds better than tidal ones on Roon , you "only" have to download them ..😉

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker