IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

I made movies about Venus (about $ 2,900) vs Trinity (about $ 65,000).

Venus and Terminator are also much worse than Trinity.

But as my thought, the most cost effective DAC is terminator, next Venus.

Please check it by yourself~!

Enjoy~!

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-54

Speakers : Accuton 3ways 5speakers (D-25)

Source : SGM 2015 EVO / SGM Extreme   DAC : Trinity DAC
Pre Amp : KX-R Twenty     Power Amp : HF : NHB-108 LF : 400W Mono Block   Cables : All Entreq Atlantis
Grounding : 3 Olympus Tellus, 4 Poseidon, 1 Silver Tellus, 1 Atlantis Tellus 6 Atlantis Minimus, 3 Silver Minimus, 3 Gaia,  All Atlantis Eartha, 60 Peak
Power Conditioner : 2 Atlantis,

4 hours ago, butifull01 said:

I made movies about Venus (about $ 2,900) vs Trinity (about $ 65,000).

Venus and Terminator are also much worse than Trinity.

But as my thought, the most cost effective DAC is terminator, next Venus.

Please check it by yourself~!

Enjoy~!

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-54

So.... does one NEED to be using the Taiko SGM for your "cost effective" assessment to hold?

5 minutes ago, Doak said:

So.... does one NEED to be using the Taiko SGM for your "cost effective" assessment to hold?

Yes, you do 😶 That WBF thread is all about SGM servers and nothing else. One must be crazy to compare a $4k to a $65k component.

I have 8 DACs.

Although I do DAC comparison test with SGM Extreme, 

other DACs are much worse than Trinity DAC.

Only Terminator and Venus are increased their sound quality.

Speakers : Accuton 3ways 5speakers (D-25)

Source : SGM 2015 EVO / SGM Extreme   DAC : Trinity DAC
Pre Amp : KX-R Twenty     Power Amp : HF : NHB-108 LF : 400W Mono Block   Cables : All Entreq Atlantis
Grounding : 3 Olympus Tellus, 4 Poseidon, 1 Silver Tellus, 1 Atlantis Tellus 6 Atlantis Minimus, 3 Silver Minimus, 3 Gaia,  All Atlantis Eartha, 60 Peak
Power Conditioner : 2 Atlantis,

5 hours ago, Dev said:

Yes, you do 😶 That WBF thread is all about SGM servers and nothing else. One must be crazy to compare a $4k to a $65k component.

Comparings DACs with the same server is like comparing cartridges with the same turntable.

According to the Source First principle the server or turntable is much more important for the SQ than the DAC or cartridge.

So one can save money with buying a very good server and a less expensive DAC.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 12:41 PM, Dev said:

Has anybody tried the M-scaler with the Termi yet ? The new DSP board's USB board sounds so good, I am starting to think that the performance of the DAC is probably being maxed out.

Yes I got it working to great result - read about here if I’m allowed to link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/denafrips-terminator-the-king-of-r2r-dac.851085/page-33#post-15138748

I ordered an mscaler after this experiment.

Hello @alvin1118

I have a modest Budget and considering the a ARESII. I saw a note in the manual,  they do not recommend using both balanced and unbalanced Outputs at the same time. I currently do that with my Auralic Altair, using one set for my amplifier and another set goes to a whole home audio system. What are the ramifications of using both?

I would be using the usb output of the Auralic Altair into the ARESII. It requires a “Linux based” DAC for the Altair to recognize it. Do you anticipate any issues using your DAC with my Altair?

Lastly, could you please confirm that the ARESII has the upgrade to eliminate ticks or pops during clock changes.

Thank you very much!

On 10/4/2019 at 7:25 PM, cordobaman said:

Hello @alvin1118

I have a modest Budget and considering the a ARESII. I saw a note in the manual,  they do not recommend using both balanced and unbalanced Outputs at the same time. I currently do that with my Auralic Altair, using one set for my amplifier and another set goes to a whole home audio system. What are the ramifications of using both?

I would be using the usb output of the Auralic Altair into the ARESII. It requires a “Linux based” DAC for the Altair to recognize it. Do you anticipate any issues using your DAC with my Altair?

Lastly, could you please confirm that the ARESII has the upgrade to eliminate ticks or pops during clock changes.

Thank you very much!

Alvin got back to me quickly with answers via email.

Basically all is good except since the balanced/unbalanced outputs are shared, so using simultaneously would diminish sound quality (I'm guessing for the "Why not Wye" reasons).

Order placed!

2 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Hat jemand in dieser Gruppe das Firmware-Update Ihrer Terminatoren aktualisiert?

I didn't find any firmware on support page. Did you mean USB-Driver? 
This is the latest for New DSP Board 2019.05.30: Thesycon USB v4.67.0. It works very stable with lowest latency.

Thanks @cordobaman. Appreciate it. 

Yep, the new firmware was released to fix some bugs. Ares II / Terminator shipped after 15th Sept already come with the new firmware.

Firmware guide can be found here: https://www.denafrips.com/firmware-update

Hope this helps!

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,

Alvin

www.vinshineaudio.com

Alvin Chee, Vinshine Audio Pte. Ltd (Singapore)

Loyalty Program

A small gesture initiative to reward our Loyal Customers - Loyalty Program - Join Us Now!

51 minutes ago, rothosand said:

Yes, a couple of weeks ago, because after installing the new DSP board, I had problems with certain DSD files...

The upgrade procedure is very straightforward.

What strengths and weakness are you finding VS the last firmware (not the last board) ?

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

39 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

What strengths and weakness are you finding VS the last firmware (not the last board) ?

The original firmware that came with the new DSP board has some issues with certain DSD files and what appears to be some kind of minor distortion in between the songs. The update fixed them. I think the update also sounds a bit better than the original.

19 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Has anyone in this group updated the firmware update of your Terminators ?

Thanks for this tip! I'm using Denafrips Terminator with HQPlayer (USB connected) as renderer. Mostly I hear with convolution on / poly-sync-ext2 / ASDM7EC / 44.1 / 16/ 2 -> 12.288M (DSD 256 x 48) / 1 / 2. 

After the update, the sound has become clearer and more precise. No worlds but audible. Great support from Denafrips! 👍