IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

7 hours ago, alvin1118 said:
Hello guys, 

Like to share the users' impression of the DENAFRIPS DAC. 
https://www.denafrips.com/news

I am extremely happy and encouraged to read these positive impressions. This is simply the best encouragement and drive for me to continue what i am doing and i will do better!

Thank you for your support! 

Alvin Chee
www.vinshineaudio.com

Hi Alvin,

any feedback so far regarding the new Denafrips Avatar CD transport?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, wb said:

I just submitted payment for a Terminator (July 31) and now everyone has been quiet since June 10th. Should I be concerned ??  Maybe it's like a fine meal, no one is talking because it is sooo good ??

You are in for a treat.  The Terminator is a great DAC.

I think things are silent here because Denafrips has been releasing a lot of products as of late (several new DAC's, D/D Converters, a Transport, etc.) so the brand new stuff always gets an initial rush of attention, then things slowly mellow out as people focus their attention on some other latest and greatest product.  It happens all the time in the audio world and other hobbies (skis, bikes, cars, boats, golf clubs,etc).  

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

On 3/16/2020 at 2:19 PM, luisma said:

I guess it is matter of semantics with the title?

It's all relative, and everyone has their perspective. There are $10K $15K and $25K DACs discussed on this site and reviewed in the audiophile press and thought of as state of the art-reference. 

Those are definitely Giants.  Some consider this one to be as good or better than DACs double or even quadruple it's price.  Hence the title. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone - I presently own a T+A DAC8 DSD... which sounds best with DSD256 and ideally 512.  HQPlayers Sync M and Sync L are  the filters that I prefer, but they're CPU hogs.  It is not possible to convert PCM44.1 to DSD512 with Sync L on current hardware (although CUDA offload may allow this in the future).

Anyway, Austinpop stated on the main 'big thread' that terminator can do PCM1024 and above... and that the CPU requirements are much more modest for PCM upsampling.

So, would anyone with a Terminator be able to compare PCM256 with DSD256 and give feedback?

I would also be interested in what CPU's you use for HQPlayer and how far you can scale without dropouts...  I might consider Terminator if it is possible to do Sinc L on my 8086k CPU with these very high bitrates, but with PCM rather than DSD.

46 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

So, would anyone with a Terminator be able to compare PCM256 with DSD256 and give feedback?

I assume you meant “PCM 1536 with DSD256”.  This idea that super high PCM might sound nearly as good and be more cpu-friendly is an interesting one. The real test is starting with DSD recordings cuz I think we mostly agree that PCM To PCM or DSD to DSD is normally ideal. 

9 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I assume you meant “PCM 1536 with DSD256”.  This idea that super high PCM might sound nearly as good and be more cpu-friendly is an interesting one. The real test is starting with DSD recordings cuz I think we mostly agree that PCM To PCM or DSD to DSD is normally ideal. 

Good point, but I was really talking about PCM44.1 sources being upscalled to PCM256 (or higher) compared to DSD256 and higher.

Unfortunately I only have a handful of Hi-Res sources, but I find HQPlayer to do a great job.

6 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Good point, but I was really talking about PCM44.1 sources being upscalled to PCM256 (or higher) compared to DSD256 and higher.

Unfortunately I only have a handful of Hi-Res sources, but I find HQPlayer to do a great job.

Of course the final result (whether it be PCM to PCM, PCM to DSD, DSD to DSD or DSD to PCM) will be very dependent on the dac architecture.  Over simplified, the Chord dacs will sound best converting everything to PCM, so even 384k or 768k will likely sound better than going to DSD256.  My Holo dac is a dual architecture and when I had it set up optimally (prior to my cross country move 2 yrs ago) I commented that recordings sounded best when left in their format (DSD, PCM) and then upsampled/filtered within that limitation.  YMMV

12 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Of course the final result (whether it be PCM to PCM, PCM to DSD, DSD to DSD or DSD to PCM) will be very dependent on the dac architecture.  Over simplified, the Chord dacs will sound best converting everything to PCM, so even 384k or 768k will likely sound better than going to DSD256.  My Holo dac is a dual architecture and when I had it set up optimally (prior to my cross country move 2 yrs ago) I commented that recordings sounded best when left in their format (DSD, PCM) and then upsampled/filtered within that limitation.  YMMV

Completely agree - many moons ago I did try providing my Chord DAC with upsampled PCM.  The the effect was not very pronounced as Chord is not NOS.

I would try this comparison using my T+A DAC 8 DSD, but the PCM route is delta-sigma with oversampling.

Hence my question to terminator users.

21 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Hi everyone - I presently own a T+A DAC8 DSD... which sounds best with DSD256 and ideally 512.  HQPlayers Sync M and Sync L are  the filters that I prefer, but they're CPU hogs.  It is not possible to convert PCM44.1 to DSD512 with Sync L on current hardware (although CUDA offload may allow this in the future).

Anyway, Austinpop stated on the main 'big thread' that terminator can do PCM1024 and above... and that the CPU requirements are much more modest for PCM upsampling.

I would also be interested in what CPU's you use for HQPlayer and how far you can scale without dropouts...  I might consider Terminator if it is possible to do Sinc L on my 8086k CPU with these very high bitrates, but with PCM rather than DSD.

I think Terminator sound great on both PCM and DSD. At first I used DSD256 with sinc-s filter and ASDM7EC modulator. Recently, I upgraded my amplifier to Accustic Arts Power I and my system sound signature has changed. Now I prefer PCM without any upsampling at all. My previous amplifier was Rotel RA1592, which I think it is a bit too bright and lean. My new amp add warmth, colour and body to sound, and when use it with my old DSD setting I think the sound has too much colour. So overall I think it is system dependent. Hope this helps 🙂

My CPU is i7 10700k. I can run every setting in HQPlayer, but not EC modulator above DSD256.

3 hours ago, Acholate said:

I think Terminator sound great on both PCM and DSD. At first I used DSD256 with sinc-s filter and ASDM7EC modulator. Recently, I upgraded my amplifier to Accustic Arts Power I and my system sound signature has changed. Now I prefer PCM without any upsampling at all. My previous amplifier was Rotel RA1592, which I think it is a bit too bright and lean. My new amp add warmth, colour and body to sound, and when use it with my old DSD setting I think the sound has too much colour. So overall I think it is system dependent. Hope this helps 🙂

My CPU is i7 10700k. I can run every setting in HQPlayer, but not EC modulator above DSD256.

Very interesting that you now prefer no upsampling at all, even though you have the means.  Just wish I could try a Terminator in the UK.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Hi @Miska

Can you circle ️ where the DSD is converted to analogue?

I imagine most of this board (resistors) is devoted to converting PCM to analogue but confused where DSD action is

21654270-B1D0-4F51-BDC8-C8E8D723A6CF.jpeg.6362a6ff29178fbaacd973664ee29ee4.jpeg

94A766A6-21B3-4F14-BE6D-1F33B00D8444.jpeg

Could be the array in the middle, and PCM on the sides.

But also with suitable board and circuit design you could also reconfigure R2R ladder into AFIR converter. It needs different connection arrangement but same parts could be used.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 1 month later...
Hello guys,

The latest licensed Thesycon Driver (For Windows PC) v5.0.0 is available to download here: link.
https://www.denafrips.com/support

4b933e_5d74272cd7974261a10cdb633b91679e~mv2.webp

The history file with changes can be downloaded at: http://www.thesycon.de/usbaudio/TUSBAudio_history.txt

Alvin Chee, Vinshine Audio Pte. Ltd (Singapore)

Loyalty Program

A small gesture initiative to reward our Loyal Customers - Loyalty Program - Join Us Now!

Psyched up for Pontus delivery!

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...