firedog

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

Rate this topic

54 minutes ago, Ricardo007 said:

Would be nice to try taiko setchi but would be hard to find space in my bedroom system... where is best to try setchis? On terminator makes a difference?

20190719_051434_HDR.jpg

Setchi D-3 Lan type is super fantastic.

When I test Setchi D-3 Lan type to Sotm switching herb, I sold one Olympus Ten and Olympus Infinity Eartha cable.

Speakers : Accuton 3ways 5speakers (D-25)

Source : SGM 2015 EVO / SGM Extreme   DAC : Trinity DAC
Pre Amp : KX-R Twenty     Power Amp : HF : NHB-108 LF : 400W Mono Block   Cables : All Entreq Atlantis
Grounding : 3 Olympus Tellus, 4 Poseidon, 1 Silver Tellus, 1 Atlantis Tellus 6 Atlantis Minimus, 3 Silver Minimus, 3 Gaia,  All Atlantis Eartha, 60 Peak
Power Conditioner : 2 Atlantis,

On 7/18/2019 at 2:34 AM, butifull01 said:

Speakers : Accuton 3ways 5speakers (D-25)

Source : SGM 2015 EVO / SGM Extreme   DAC : Trinity DAC
Pre Amp : KX-R Twenty     Power Amp : HF : NHB-108 LF : 400W Mono Block   Cables : All Entreq Atlantis
Grounding : 3 Olympus Tellus, 4 Poseidon, 1 Silver Tellus, 1 Atlantis Tellus 6 Atlantis Minimus, 3 Silver Minimus, 3 Gaia,  All Atlantis Eartha, 60 Peak
Power Conditioner : 2 Atlantis,

Hi guys,

Just got my new DSP board installed yesterday. In one word, WOW. Its an exceptional upgrade. The USB implementation is just brilliant. Forget the i2s connection. USB with a good quality cable absolutely thrashes the i2s.

The new board is a wonderful upgrade, I will be taking my Singxer SU-6 out of the system now and just using USB input on the Terminator.

Mac mini 8gb ram w/SSD/Mojo Auido Joule III -> Yggy -> W4S STP-SE pre Sage 1-> Nord One Up amp -> SP tech Continuum 2.5

27 minutes ago, PeteG said:

The new board is a wonderful upgrade, I will be taking my Singxer SU-6 out of the system now and just using USB input on the Terminator.

I just put my Gustard U16 up for sale together with the Chocolate HDMI.

11 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Hi guys,

Just got my new DSP board installed yesterday. In one word, WOW. Its an exceptional upgrade. The USB implementation is just brilliant. Forget the i2s connection. USB with a good quality cable absolutely thrashes the i2s.

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

Wow thats big praise!  Curious if either of you can try to describe in what ways USB is superior to i2s with the Terminator.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

6 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Wow thats big praise!  Curious if either of you can try to describe in what ways USB is superior to i2s with the Terminator.

Hi tboooe,

The stereo separation, staging, details are really really good, exceptional if I may. The 3D and holographics are very good too, with i2s everything was veiled and thin sounding. I suggest if u have not heard the board yet, do it. I am running through my collections all over again with this gem of an upgrade. U have to hear it, certain things just cannot be put in words. All this mumbo jumbo audiophile words cannot really explain what I am hearing. I love it.

Do let us know what you think? 

Hi All - got the DSP upgrade installed and it sounds wonderful! I had been using i2s with a Singxer SU-1 and I just tried the USB, which does sound better with PCM content on the new board. I'm running HQPlayer 4.1.0.1 and even though I have the Default Output Mode set to [source] it converts DSD to PCM. I assume the USB should support DSD so does anyone know what settings I should use? I tried turning on DirectSDM in settings and it didn't make a difference. @Miska

17 minutes ago, tedevang said:

Hi All - got the DSP upgrade installed and it sounds wonderful! I had been using i2s with a Singxer SU-1 and I just tried the USB, which does sound better with PCM content on the new board. I'm running HQPlayer 4.1.0.1 and even though I have the Default Output Mode set to [source] it converts DSD to PCM. I assume the USB should support DSD so does anyone know what settings I should use? I tried turning on DirectSDM in settings and it didn't make a difference. @Miska

there are multiple hqplayer threads in the software section -- you really should post this question in one of those threads.  have you searched them for a solution?

source:  intel nuc8i5 (audiolinux, roon core) > intel nuc8i5 (ws2019, ao, roon bridge) > schiit yggdrasil (gen 5, analog 2)
headphone rig:  bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
two-channel rig:  luminous audio axiom ii xlr walker mod > parasound a21 > monitor audio gx100

43 minutes ago, EMMM said:

Has anyone tried the new DSP upgrade with and without an ISO Regen/LPS1.2 combo?

U are in luck. We just did this morning. Not much difference but my Tellurium USB cable made a bigger difference than having the iso regen/lps1.2 combo with or without.

We also tried various permutations/combos with my sotm Trifecta and the iso regen/lps 1.2 combo and all I can say is I think its worth investing in a very high quality USB cable to take full advantage of the DSP board. It brought about the biggest jump in SQ.

No DDC in the chain, with it, the sound is veiled, almost held back. But one of my friend reported back saying he liked it with the Gustard U16 in the chain, so, its best to try out.

If u are using the trifecta keep it and invest in a good quality USB cable, same for the iso regen/lps1.2 combo. Don't go chasing ghosts. T-loan one and try. My 2 cents worth and of course as usual YMMV depending on your setup. Happy listening guys. 

Please chip in with suggestions. Thank you.

6 hours ago, matthias said:

Can the new DSP board be used with the Pontus as well?

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

No you cannot. I think they are looking at year end for the release of the boards for the Pontus and Venus. Hang on bud, it is totally worth the wait. Meanwhile as I said, try to lay your hands on a quality USB cable. Enjoy the music.

Does anyone have a pic or a link to the new board?

Forrest:

Win10 i7 3770k HQPlayer>Win10 NAA

DSD512>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

1 hour ago, 4est said:

It's on the web site . . .

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/dsp-board-terminator-dac

source:  intel nuc8i5 (audiolinux, roon core) > intel nuc8i5 (ws2019, ao, roon bridge) > schiit yggdrasil (gen 5, analog 2)
headphone rig:  bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
two-channel rig:  luminous audio axiom ii xlr walker mod > parasound a21 > monitor audio gx100

On 7/30/2019 at 8:10 AM, Abyss Man said:

U are in luck. We just did this morning. Not much difference but my Tellurium USB cable made a bigger difference than having the iso regen/lps1.2 combo with or without.

We also tried various permutations/combos with my sotm Trifecta and the iso regen/lps 1.2 combo and all I can say is I think its worth investing in a very high quality USB cable to take full advantage of the DSP board. It brought about the biggest jump in SQ.

No DDC in the chain, with it, the sound is veiled, almost held back. But one of my friend reported back saying he liked it with the Gustard U16 in the chain, so, its best to try out.

If u are using the trifecta keep it and invest in a good quality USB cable, same for the iso regen/lps1.2 combo. Don't go chasing ghosts. T-loan one and try. My 2 cents worth and of course as usual YMMV depending on your setup. Happy listening guys. 

Please chip in with suggestions. Thank you.

Which Tellurium USB cable do you use?  It has gotten my interest lately.  

9 hours ago, MhtLion said:

Thanks!

U are very welcome bud. I was told the Danacable Trustream is also a good one likewise the Lush. Audit them to find a suitable one for your hearing buds. Happy listening.

15 hours ago, 4est said:

Hi @4est,

6moons reviewed the DSP board, some nice pics Srajan took while he install the board:

spacer.png

Old board out, New board in

spacer.png

PCM1411.2 playback

Cheers,

Alvin Chee @ Vinshine Audio

Stereo: JAY'S AUDIO CDT2-MK2/Soundaware D300REF - DENAFRIPS TERMINATOR - Kinki Studio EX-P7/B7 - ATC SCM50PSL

Headphone:

Kinki Studio THR-1 - HD800s

Mjölnir-Audio KGSSHV - STAX SR-007 MK2

After a long wait (6 weeks) I received my Denafrips Terminator a few days ago. 😀

A little history of my HiFi travel.

Since I stream a lot of music (hard disk and Quobuz HighRes), a powerful DAC has always been very important in my system. I already had a Linn Klimax DSM with Katalyst upgrade. This was replaced by T + A MP 3000 HV. This in turn was replaced by a Holo Audio Spring DAC (ARMATURE Asterion with USB XMOS U208 processor).

At least here, every reasonable person asks, how can this be? We are talking about price differences (RRP in Euro) from 24k (Linn) to 10k (T + A) to 1.7k (Holo Audio)! My explanation. T + A HV series is fantastic. That was on par with the Linn Klimax. The change to Spring was for one reason: DSD 512! I'm one of those who convert everything into DSD with the HQPlayer. I just like it better. The MP 3000 HV can only PCM.

Now it was time to start again in a higher league.

The T + A SD 3000 HV is too expensive for me with 23k. And so it came to the purchase of the Denafrips Terminator.

Already the first sound inspired me. Yesterday my best friend was with me. The Termi ran at this time about 70h in continuous operation. He said that he has not yet heard that clarity, that pure sound. He liked the deep, precise basses.

That's my first impression. My dealer says that the Termi sounds properly after 300h.

Here are some impressions

36379467ha.jpeg

36377296hy.jpeg

36377295tl.jpeg

36377293fj.jpeg

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

After a long wait (6 weeks) I received my Denafrips Terminator a few days ago. 😀

A little history of my HiFi travel.

Since I stream a lot of music (hard disk and Quobuz HighRes), a powerful DAC has always been very important in my system. I already had a Linn Klimax DSM with Katalyst upgrade. This was replaced by T + A MP 3000 HV. This in turn was replaced by a Holo Audio Spring DAC (ARMATURE Asterion with USB XMOS U208 processor).

At least here, every reasonable person asks, how can this be? We are talking about price differences (RRP in Euro) from 24k (Linn) to 10k (T + A) to 1.7k (Holo Audio)! My explanation. T + A HV series is fantastic. That was on par with the Linn Klimax. The change to Spring was for one reason: DSD 512! I'm one of those who convert everything into DSD with the HQPlayer. I just like it better. The MP 3000 HV can only PCM.

Now it was time to start again in a higher league.

The T + A SD 3000 HV is too expensive for me with 23k. And so it came to the purchase of the Denafrips Terminator.

Already the first sound inspired me. Yesterday my best friend was with me. The Termi ran at this time about 70h in continuous operation. He said that he has not yet heard that clarity, that pure sound. He liked the deep, precise basses.

That's my first impression. My dealer says that the Termi sounds properly after 300h.

Here are some impressions

36379467ha.jpeg

36377296hy.jpeg

36377295tl.jpeg

36377293fj.jpeg

Welcome to the Terminator club. U are going to love it. It's a beast, in a Good way. LOL.

4 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Congrats,

interesting that you have the DSP-T V06 board.

It seems to be a later version than the DSP-T V04 board announced on the Denafrips HP.

BTW, did you compare Denafrips OS vs. HQPlayer OS?

Thanks

Matt

5 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Welcome to the Terminator club. U are going to love it. It's a beast, in a Good way. LOL.

Thank you 🍻

@matthias

The next one may get DSP-T V08 board. 😁

I have not made a comparison between NOS and OS yet. At the moment I only listen NOS with HQPlayer DSD 512. That is already an excellent sound.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:07 AM, elan120 said:

it will be interesting to compare whether I2S is better than USB or other inputs.

@elan120

Did you compare i2s input with your highly modified su1 versus direct usb on terminator.