IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Just now, Paul R said:

To be fair, you baited him knowing that it would result in a rude comment. (shrug)

So far as I can see, you both are a bit guilty there. Probably should apologize to each other and move on with more profitable discussion.  And ignore the people egging on the hard feelings. 

Honestly, stop the nonsense. We are all big boys here. Mr. Lee is a child.😎

1 minute ago, Paul R said:

To be fair, you baited him knowing that it would result in a rude comment. (shrug)

So far as I can see, you both are a bit guilty there. Probably should apologize to each other and move on with more profitable discussion.  And ignore the people egging on the hard feelings. 

Past history has shown that my attempts to move forward in a positive direction have only resulted in many personal attacks and snide comments from Steve.  I would apologize if it would make a difference but it won't.

1 minute ago, Lee Scoggins said:

The bank records are not a good analogy.  In that case even pennies count.  In the music world, things below the inaudible level don't count.

As for the needledrops, I hear the same thing.  But you just use 24/176 or 24/192 and everything is fine.  But it's not just the things above 20khz that hirez captures better, it's the extra detail and timbre in the midrange and other areas.

Ah, but if all the bank computers trimmed was information that did matter and didn't count... wouldn't it still bother you? Especially if they refused to tell you exactly what information they trimmed? It could be parts of your payment records, for instance. 

It may not have any effect on you at all, but the idea is disturbing, right?  Exact same thing applies to MQA. It took forever to get people to accept high resolution made a difference at all. MQA is trying to say that they know exactly what does and does not make a difference.  That is disturbing in and of itself. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

4 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

In the music world, things below the inaudible level don't count.

As for the needledrops, I hear the same thing.  But you just use 24/176 or 24/192 and everything is fine.  But it's not just the things above 20khz that hirez captures better, it's the extra detail and timbre in the midrange and other areas.

These two statements contradict each other unless, of course, you are claiming that you can hear up 88.2 or 96 kHz.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

3 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Past history has shown that my attempts to move forward in a positive direction have only resulted in many personal attacks and snide comments from Steve.  I would apologize if it would make a difference but it won't.

Take the high road and ignore the rabble.

I would be interested in a well thought out reply to Chris comment for example. Are some of the MQA rationalizations as unreasonable as the anti-vaxxers positions? If so, it is just ban appearance, or are there real underlying reasons. 

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

1 minute ago, Paul R said:

Take the high road and ignore the rabble.

I would be interested in a well thought out replace to Chris comment for example. Are some of the MQA rationalizations as unreasonable as the anti-vaxxers positions? If so, it is just ban appearance, or are there real underlying reasons. 

-Paul 

Mr. Lee. has now engaged in name calling and vulgarity twice in one week...I am curious as the consequences. 

Just now, Paul R said:

Ah, but if all the bank computers trimmed was information that did matter and didn't count... wouldn't it still bother you? Especially if they refused to tell you exactly what information they trimmed? It could be parts of your payment records, for instance. 

It may not have any effect on you at all, but the idea is disturbing, right?  Exact same thing applies to MQA. It took forever to get people to accept high resolution made a difference at all. MQA is trying to say that they know exactly what does and does not make a difference.  That is disturbing in and of itself. 

-Paul 

I think the MQA team has made a decision to trim off non-musical data and preserve the hjrez content in order to reach a smaller file size goal. I know we differ on how important that file size is for streaming but I think the MQA team finds it valuable.  Apparently so do the label execs I have talked to.  So MQA is about optimizing goals.  Given that no one will hear the bits they chopped off, I think it was a reasonable decision.

Just now, Paul R said:

You react the same way when you feel attacked or suckered. (shrug) Trust me, I see some of the "Disagree!" markers you post on almost everything I write. :)

I do not take that personal, and I suggest, neither should you. No Klingon Puppies Here! 

Klingons are worthy foes!! Visceral, low intellect...but tough as nails!😎

2 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I think the MQA team has made a decision to trim off non-musical data and preserve the hjrez content in order to reach a smaller file size goal. I know we differ on how important that file size is for streaming but I think the MQA team finds it valuable.  Apparently so do the label execs I have talked to.  So MQA is about optimizing goals.  Given that no one will hear the bits they chopped off, I think it was a reasonable decision.

Putting aside streaming disagreements, I get confused by your statement here. How can they "lop off bits" that make no difference but the lopping off makes the file "sound better? "

If it was just - it sounds exactly the same, I could see some point, but it rather obviously makes the file sound different. Unless indeed, they are playing games boosting or damping this or that frequency. All of which requires changed bits. 

I am not even going to try to explain why high -resolution makes the music better, more true, or a mic feed more accurate. I don't know exactly how that operates. :). 

But it does. Therefor, to me at least, taking away this or that bit without explain it is troublesome. 

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein