IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

16 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

It seems that MQA's latest play is mobile phones.  I'm struggling to understand how MQA thinks there is any appetite for lossless 44/16  in the mobile market let alone something MQA claims is "as good as" 96/24 content.

How many audiophiles do you know whose mobile phone is at the center of their home system?

Just this weekend my wife and I were remarking how great the quality of the NCAA basketball tournament video was that I was streaming from my phone to my Apple TV via Wi-Fi.  As storage capacity and wireless speeds continue to increase it's not at all difficult to imagine something similar happening with audio.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

58 minutes ago, Jud said:

Feigning incomprehension when called on a false claim.  I am so very not surprised

I responded to Chris's comment about pro MQA being conspiratorial or organised with a comment said that I felt it was anti MQA that was "organised". 

You then explain what a conspiracy was.

I'm still non the wiser. Chris thinks MQA support organised, I think anti MQA organised. You mentioned bankrolled etc (where did that come from I asked) I said it could be like minded people. After that yu are going on about I'm not sure what.

So that's what I read, what did I miss?

7 minutes ago, Jud said:

Just this weekend my wife and I were remarking how great the quality of the NCAA basketball tournament video was that I was streaming from my phone to my Apple TV via Wi-Fi.  As storage capacity and wireless speeds continue to increase it's not at all difficult to imagine something similar happening with audio.

Exactly so - and why MQA is not really a threat, IMNSHO. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

6 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

I responded to Chris's comment about pro MQA being conspiratorial or organised with a comment said that I felt it was anti MQA that was "organised". 

You then explain what a conspiracy was.

I'm still non the wiser. Chris thinks MQA support organised, I think anti MQA organised. You mentioned bankrolled etc (where did that come from I asked) I said it could be like minded people. After that yu are going on about I'm not sure what.

So that's what I read, what did I miss?

Eh, I think you might have missed that was a joke. I tend to agree with you by the way, about the anti-MQA mob being organized, and using dirty tactics. 

Robert A. Heinlein

46 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

It seems that MQA's latest play is mobile phones.  I'm struggling to understand how MQA thinks there is any appetite for lossless 44/16  in the mobile market let alone something MQA claims is "as good as" 96/24 content.

The mobile market IS the market. Think car stereos, portable boom box type devices, friends sharing with their phone, etc, etc. Who doesn’t want better sound in their car?  I sure notice the difference in sound quality between various streaming services 

David

Just now, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

You keep floating this meshugah fake narrative that Mr Lee and others were "baited'. He is a middle aged grown man responsible for his own actions. You can keep the fantasy alive about "mob think", more power to you.

There is absolutely no question that you, and others here baited him unmercifully - and that you and others were acting in concert to do so. Look at the post where the number of banned people was glorified, like a score card. Or comments about “keeping track” of his behavior. 

It is very foolish to deny that, and to continue to try to spin facts into some fantasy about being white knights against MQA or something. The behavior you and others exhibited was absolutely gang thinking, and reminiscent of nothing more than a gang of middle schoolers hazing the outsider. 

Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I like this thread better when Christopher stepped in and banned the virulent and irrepressible MQA protester.  Nobody actually had a worthwhile complaint against the desirable effects of awaiting another clever reappearance.  There was wit and zeal to the affair otherwise lacking in the petty argumentative waves of replies that produced a higher amount of bans than any other thread in recent memory.

Now I'm left wondering if by some odd stroke of imaginative reconstruction someone is going to discover Lee was actually trying to explain a solution MQA offered before it was needed.  Mansr and others did a commendable job investigating the technical side of MQA.  I've yet to see much of the practical or insightful implications that weren't doom and gloom. 

It would certainly go against the back thumping self-congratulatory anti-tudes if that pokey little British manufacturer, despite struggling to stay afloat, was making a longsighted play worthy of their previously good name.  I'm at least willing to entertain entertaining ideas over defamatory antics.

11 minutes ago, Paul R said:

There is absolutely no question that you, and others here baited him unmercifully - and that you and others were acting in concert to do so. Look at the post where the number of banned people was glorified, like a score card. Or comments about “keeping track” of his behavior. 

It is very foolish to deny that, and to continue to try to spin facts into some fantasy about being white knights against MQA or something. The behavior you and others exhibited was absolutely gang thinking, and reminiscent of nothing more than a gang of middle schoolers hazing the outsider. 

Paul

Not criticizing anything as a response, but just carrying the discussion forward.

Whether or not groups of people agree or disagree -- it is the personal kind of attack (or even discussion) that doesn't carry the discussion forward.  Sometimes, when something is a matter of opinion (e.g. "sounds better"), then there is nowhere to go.   If something sounds better to person 'A', then who is to argue with it?  When someone claims "is better", then there is still room for discussion.

Emotions do come into play -- even though I do misspell and don't catch the errors (especially when right and left hand are out of sync by multiple characters)  I MAKE LOTS OF ERRORS --but,  I DO TRY to avoid personal invective.  (Don't always succeed, but it is so important for discussions to avoid personal characteristics and/or attributes.)

I believe (just IMO), technical is okay, audiophile-speak is okay, but arguing against a person goes a little too far.  I AM guilty of such undesirable behavior in the past -- but the key is to step back, and avoid taking even personal comments personally.  Sometimes good people DO become emotional!!!

John

12 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Paul

You can continue to repeat your fakakta opinion over and over, it does not and will not make it true.

Glorifying the banning of trolls and liars is the sport of champions. 🤐

6 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Sure, but how audible will the difference between 255 kbps lossy AAC compression and lossless 44/16 actually be?  I've taken those "tests", and I can do it with certain material, a very quiet environment and headphones.  Now MQA is saying, "bypass the lossless Redbook and go straight for MQA".  "Everyone wants better sound" but we're talking about a moving vehicle with a really high noise floor compared to home listening.

Was just commenting on the traction in the mobile space. Not wanting to get into back and forth on MQA “debate”. 

David