IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Heck, he still thinks people in the industry said LH Labs' crowdfunding campaigns would come to a bad end because of jealousy at their likely success.  I'd say the likelihood of his coming to the realization that MQA folks have fed him a line of BS - or even being terribly interested in investigating the possibility - is nearly nil.

He seems to have successfully resisted all attempts so far to explain any technical problems with what MQA has told him, whether from you, me, Miska, mansr, or anyone else in the thread. He's done so even after having it brought to his attention that he's simultaneously claiming MQA sounds the same as the non-lossy equivalent, and that it sounds better.

So I'm not waiting for a road-to-Damascus moment from Lee.

...Putin is not the only one with a "useful idiot." 🤣

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that "MQA sounds better to me" but leading industry professionals couldn't discern any difference between MQA and the high-res original. 

I don't think we should be rude to him though. Heck, I have relatives that are both respected scientists and Marxists. I don't understand how they can hold those contradictions in their heads either.

4 minutes ago, Currawong said:

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that "MQA sounds better to me" but leading industry professionals couldn't discern any difference between MQA and the high-res original. 

I don't think we should be rude to him though. Heck, I have relatives that are both respected scientists and Marxists. I don't understand how they can hold those contradictions in their heads either.

He seems to have lost the privilege of  a courteous discussion. He addressed the author of this thread with a rude name that implied he was a feminine hygiene product. That post was reported and removed several days ago.  

28 minutes ago, firedog said:

Paul-

Have you read the whole thread? Unfortunately, Lee's natural reaction to any logical analysis (read: not just subjective musings) based on actual data is to obfuscate and retreat to repeating his stories of his subjective impressions, the glory of his "ecosystem" idea and all it's supposed benefits,  or  to repeat "what he's been told" by others in the industry - invariably those  with an agenda to promote MQA. 
It's hard to find any instance where he's responded to objectively true critiques of MQA with anything other than what can fairly be called BS.
He may believe the BS, but sincerely holding on to false ideas doesn't get him much credit in my book. I'd call it intentional ignorance. This thread is over two years old. How many chances and how much time does it take for a reasonable person to re-examine his/her ideas? Apparently, some people aren't capable of doing such a re-examination....

Yep, read it all -  though I avoided posting for a long time. 

I don't know my friend, but I do know that *I* might have turtled up and gotten very stubborn if I had that much hostility directed towards me. Karen would say  something she read somewhere - "Every day is a fresh new day, with no mistakes in it. Yet."

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

10 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Yep, read it all -  though I avoided posting for a long time. 

I don't know my friend, but I do know that *I* might have turtled up and gotten very stubborn if I had that much hostility directed towards me. Karen would say  something she read somewhere - "Every day is a fresh new day, with no mistakes in it. Yet."

-Paul

I guess you have more faith in humanity than I do, or are more of an optimist. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

27 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Remember the 'Aphex Aural Exciter'? -- I call it 'distorter'.

An example I've used myself here from time to time.  :) 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

29 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

(I can undo some of the early version of the distorters' damage, but it is tedious to do so.)

Would be very interesting to see how that would sound with Born to Run, for example.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Off topic a little, but backing this statement with historical fact.  Remember the 'Aphex Aural Exciter'? -- I call it 'distorter'.  A lot of people had historically liked the sound (including Linda Ronstadt, who demanded her recordings be made with it.)  It is a phase scrambler that doesn't really add normal distortion, but might as well do so.

The 'Distorter' is about the most egregious and clear example of someone preferring distortion.  Artists actually imprinting their forever works with that travesty is so very sad -- but apparently fairly common.  (I can undo some of the early version of the distorters' damage, but it is tedious to do so.)

Bottom line -- doing subjective comparisons doesn't really always support determining the best quality or the most accuracy...  Emotions MUST be removed from the comparisons, and even then -- personal preference can confuse the comparison using accurate references.

Making mistakes in comparisons based upon personal preferences make future comparsions totally confusing.  It is best to be accurate and intellectually honest, while using actual engineering/mathematical know-how, and scientific method.  (The reason why I use the term 'intellectually honest' instead of 'honest' is that I truly believe that most people are trying to be 'honest' from their own viewpoint -- but it is important to base that honesty on facts, rather than feeling & wishfulness.)

Just my two cents, but I would REALLY WISH that non-technical audiophiles could be kindly and respectfully educated about engineering and mathematical fact --- also be given some understanding about scientific method, instead of the snake-oil merchants encouraging a confused muddle of emotional feeling that results in nonsensical conclusions (and profits for the manipulatively dishonest.)

John

Well said. The only thing I would add is that it works both ways too. Being kind to those interested but who do not speak the vernacular can be a good thing to. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein