IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 minute ago, crenca said:

They also have a majority of users who clamored for it. 

Yeah, the Roon story I believe because lots of Roon users are TIDAL users.  The case for dCS is harder to understand.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Just now, rickca said:

Yeah, the Roon story I believe because lots of Roon users are TIDAL users.  The case for dCS is harder to understand.

Which brings up the import of the Tidal MQA link.  What if there was a cost, say $5 or so a month for MQA?  Well, I think the vast majority of those Roon users would be paying.  In other words my sense (from time spent on the forum - I'm a Roon lifetimer as well) is that the majority have if not completely bought into the MQA message, are at least "curious" enough to support it.  Many (most) of them are also typical "subjectivised" audiophiles, and my sense is that they "hear" the alleged advantage of whatever Audiophildom puts in front of them.  In other words Bob S and MQA understand the Audiophile well and have to a real extant succeeded in their mission to sell it, even if there is also real blowback as well...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

20 minutes ago, crenca said:

Which brings up the import of the Tidal MQA link.  What if there was a cost, say $5 or so a month for MQA?  Well, I think the vast majority of those Roon users would be paying.  In other words my sense (from time spent on the forum - I'm a Roon lifetimer as well) is that the majority have if not completely bought into the MQA message, are at least "curious" enough to support it.  Many (most) of them are also typical "subjectivised" audiophiles, and my sense is that they "hear" the alleged advantage of whatever Audiophildom puts in front of them.  In other words Bob S and MQA understand the Audiophile well and have to a real extant succeeded in their mission to sell it, even if there is also real blowback as well...

But there is that old conceit that the audiophile market means anything in the Big Picture!  Apple recently reported it has passed 50 million subscribers, on its way to catch up with Spotify.  Tidal and Roon are being left in the dust!

Jim

32 minutes ago, mansr said:

That could be just talk.

I think you can do MQA quick and dirty or you can do it right.  I get the impression that dCS and Roon took care with their implementation.  Doing it right isn't the same as doing the right thing.  Ayre did the right thing.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, mansr said:

That could be just talk. Everybody seems to like boasting about how much effort they've made and how hard it was, no matter what the subject. From what I've seen, adding MQA to a software solution should be pretty straight-forward. Simply take the provided library and plug it into the processing chain like you would any other codec. If it takes more than a man-week, there is something seriously wrong with your overall system architecture. At least I was able to do it with no documentation or assistance whatsoever.

It is just bullshit to project the message.."dear customer we REALLY care about you and your MQA needs, so we put a LOT of resources and time into getting it RIGHT"...what a crock. If they had any moral compass or back bone they would done what was ACTUALLY good for the customer, which is tell Stuart to take a hike.

12 hours ago, ARQuint said:

That there's been, so far, no censure of this post from the man in charge is disappointing. Perhaps it's telling that Chris identifies himself as the "Founder" of CA, without acknowledging any editorial function. On the one hand, he functions as CA's lead reviewer and otherwise curates the content of the site. On the other, he stands off to the side as inflammatory (and, in this case, defamatory) comments are made. It's quite correct for Chris to tout the presence of MQA experts in the CA community but if trolls and other snarky hangers-on overshadow them, their utility to rank-and-file readers is considerably diminished.

Go ahead: accuse me of more "finger-wagging." The silence from the top, in this instance, is deafening.

Please stick to medicine.  And tell me who angered by these comments and  enlighten me on who being defamed?

1 minute ago, Rt66indierock said:

The case for dCS is pretty easy. They move so few units that they can't risk any loss of sales. And my research points to them at the beginning of this blur thing.

I agree that may well be the case.  I'm aware of one manufacturer who held off incorporating MQA into his DAC's and he's glad he did.  He also shared sentiments, much like you suspect with dCS, that other manufacturers he knows felt exactly that way.  They didn't want to incorporate MQA because of their own skeptism but they couldn't afford to risk losing revenue.  And some of these manufacturers are relatively small and wouldn't take much of a hit to go outta business.

For me, it's just one more reason to try to view MQA for what it and especially for what it isn't.

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

7 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I am no saying there is not a forth-coming announcement, I was just under the impression Munich would be the venue.

Chris said he's heard something about a very large and very wealthy company.

Such a company wouldn't/couldn't care less about Munich (and the 1% like us that follow Munich announcements).

To be honest, if MQA Ltd have their sights on massive contracts like the one Chris has heard may come, they will probably stop reading and caring about this thread and similar, to focus on 'securing the bag'.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=secure the bag

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

And tell me who angered by these comments and  enlighten me on who being defamed?

Well, I think it's pretty obvious that Stuart, Atkinson, and Harley are the ones being defamed.

Conspiracy theories are a phenomenon that I find interesting, and shtf's posting was a pretty classic example. In a 2014 book, two political scientists, Joseph E. Uscinski and Joseph M. Parent defined a conspiracy theory as describing  "(1) a group (2) acting in secret (3) to alter institutions, usurp power, hide truth, or gain utility (4) at the expense of the common good" and shtf's "opinion" as to how MQA came to be certainly meets those criteria. It's an excellent example of what's been called a "shallow" theory. The question asked is Cui bono? (Who benefits?) The theorist reaches the conclusion that the group of people having something to gain from MQA—BS, JA, and RH—must be secretly involved in a vast and nefarious plot.

Shtf made up his theory out of thin air—I think we know that he has no hard evidence for what he suggests actually happened—but the internet is a funny thing. The theory will be repeated and can potentially gain acceptance as fact. Certainly, this has happened with other more substantive issues, like Obama's birthplace or the 1969 moon landing. Hey, this is only audio. But audio's important to me, as I know it is to you. I have stated on several occasions that I feel the substantive points made regarding MQA in the thread that you started, and elsewhere, are valid and important—I have "listened and learned," as another CA partisan recommended. Over-the-top theories, such as the one offered here are understandable: They represent the level of frustration and loss of control that some audiophiles are feeling. But, ultimately, they undermine the more solidly reasoned arguments against MQA and should be identified as fringe thinking.

18 minutes ago, firedog said:

I don't agree with the post or the tone, but I see no reason for it to be banned. 

But Robert Harley writes an article comparing MQA to a scientific revolution on the level with Copernicus  and you don't object to that, do you?

It was probably one of the most ignorant things I've ever read, dressed up as some sophisticated piece on the philosophy and development of science. Pitiful and intellectually dishonest by him. Buy you're okay with that.

indeed.

8 hours ago, Fokus said:

Indeed.

I agree, that is the grown up response; but there is something rather fun in watching professional horseshit-peddlars come unstuck in a debate with amateurs.

Ok, I should grow up. Also sadly memetic natural selection does not privilege truth

You are not a sound quality measurement device

@ARQuint I have been searching the inter-web for more information on MQA,  besides the platitudes found on the audiophile press sites. Most of the information I found, which was balanced was Archimago. No one else that has published anything on MQA has the questioning and honesty to say, maybe I am wrong, show me. That gives even more credence. Why? It is because that is what good science and scientists do. They question to have other to prove or disprove their ideas, they don't say 'You can't possibly understand because you are not Mr.X'. Well, I have shown other scientists wrong before and I didn't want to do that but nothing else made logical sense to me, on the work I was doing. Same can be said here. All we get from the other side is platitudes and condescension. 

Well from the reactions, I have seen from the Pro-MQA side, all they have is platitudes and condescension. That just means to me they are either hiding something, they do not really understand what they are hawking, they assume buddies wouldn't sell them the Brooklyn Bridge. I honestly think it is all three.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

16 hours ago, crenca said:

Roon/Tidal user here and I could care less about MQA. So far most I’ve heard sucks the life out of music compared to 16/44, a bit like upsampling to DSD (for me). If it’s only available in MQA then that’s another matter, and is what it is. Sounds like Tidal have much bigger fish to fry at the moment than MQA anyway. if they don’t then it’s going to be a moot point as it is. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.