IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 hours ago, Jim Austin said:

What are you folks still on about? Still assuming that all sampling theory ended with Shannon? This place is obviously a massive circle-jerk, but your posts are visible to the outside world, so you run the risk of embarrassing yourselves

Yes, all posts are indeed visible to the outside world - but clearly that didn't stop you from embarrassing yourself, so it's curious you'd express concern about others doing so.

1 minute ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Not to derail Jim Austin's fun..but side note, poster Thuveta suggested to me that Apple Quicktime plays back FLACjust  fine..and damned if he is not correct. I was able to playback FLAC on a Mac Book Pro running High Sierra with QT.

Yes, starting in recent macOS updates, the OS/Quicktime can handle FLAC. iTunes cannot yet do so, unfortunately, but it's still really handy because now one can preview FLAC files in the Finder without having to convert them or load them up in VLC or whatever.

Just now, tmtomh said:

Yes, starting in recent macOS updates, the OS/Quicktime can handle FLAC. iTunes cannot yet do so, unfortunately, but it's still really handy because now one can preview FLAC files in the Finder without having to convert them or load them up in VLC or whatever.

Agree. Although this may not change much for many..I use Audirvana for local desktop playback out of habit..i wish they had done this 5 years ago. Next..Quad DSD support :D

7 minutes ago, mansr said:

Even this is handled by Shannon. The sample rate needs to exceed twice the bandwidth, not twice the maximum frequency. If the signal is known to have a lower as well as upper bound, a matching band-pass filter is all you need for sampling and reconstruction. The spectrum of the sampled version of the signal might be mirrored, but this can be dealt with.

An example where compressed sensing comes to use is a Poisson process consisting of Dirac pulses occurring at a finite rate. Such a signal has infinite bandwidth, so traditional sampling doesn't work. However, the signal obeys other constraints allowing it to be accurately captured with suitable filtering. Needless to say, this example is not applicable whatsoever to audio.

3 minutes ago, rickca said:

@Jim Austin is apparently fishing for flame throwers here, looking for some good sound bites that he can quote elsewhere in order to discredit CA members as mad fanatics.  Don't give him the satisfaction by overreacting.  He just wants clicks for his articles so he can prove how influential he is. 

agree...and I don't think any one here has over reacted..it would fit right in with his and their narrative...

Just now, Brinkman Ship said:

I don't think any one here has over reacted

I don't think so either.  I didn't mean to imply you had by quoting you.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, james45974 said:

When are the manufacturer's who jumped in with MQA going to realize what an embarrassment it is becoming to be associated with it?  Is is really a farce!

I guess they will say their customers and dealers demanded it.  MQA has clearly been lobbying dealers to do exactly that.  The hardware and software partners are just going to look stupid for investing R&D resources in MQA implementation if MQA is unsuccessful.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

10 minutes ago, rickca said:

I guess they will say their customers and dealers demanded it.  MQA has clearly been lobbying dealers to do exactly that.  The hardware and software partners are just going to look stupid for investing R&D resources in MQA implementation if MQA is unsuccessful.

could be perceived as somewhat of a Faustian bargain by the hardware and software partners.......:confused:

Jim

2 hours ago, tmtomh said:

I must say, the one surprising aspect of the visits by you, ARQuint, and John Atkinson is the degree to which you are going after @The Computer Audiophile himself, and the intensity with which you are focusing on denigrating this community.

Almost as if to protect some vested interest perhaps?  I'm suspicious again. :)

Just sayin'

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

3 minutes ago, HalSF said:

I'm getting a bit of mental whiplash envisioning the hi-fi makers who advertise in Stereophile and its cohort — the same advertisers repeatedly depicted in this thread as powerful agents of corruption whose shilling the magazines must do at the expense of their readers — now portrayed sympathetically as hapless casualties of the MQA juggernaut.

There definitely is a crisis of audiophile authority, however. The same loop keeps playing over and again: MQA makes extraordinary claims; seems incapable of offering extraordinary proof beyond abstruse jargon and scientism; while subjective audiophiles insist MQA sounds amazing in brief, carefully controlled show demos; as MQA defenders making drive-by rebuttals focus on technical quibbles and the bad manners of MQA opponents, but decline to engage directly in good faith with sincere critics on the substance of their dissent. In this context Jim Austin's fundamentally noncommittal dispatches just punt the controversy until next month's issue, and nothing definitive is ever resolved. The only two things that would make this impasse break in MQA's favor — strong peer-review endorsements by independent audio engineers and a wave of un-hyped enthusiasm from hi-fi listeners — are things MQA seems incapable of making happen. And an MQA end run via some major licensing  deal imposing MQA from above would likely be a Pyrrhic victory, further poisoning the atmosphere and exacerbating the crisis of trust.

No wonder everybody is getting more edgy and irritable.

you...pretty much nailed he whole darn thing....

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

Apparently so, calling the forum a massive circle-jerk and warning members they've made fools of themselves appears to violate the site rules.

I applaud Chris for leaving Austin's post there as is for all to see, it's very telling in a number of ways, none of them good.

yea - it's kinda like a public stoning