IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You can attempt to write your own thread eulogy to control the narrative but that isn't how the internet works. 

From the headstone of the late, great @ARQuint:

Rose are red, violets are blue

I was a subjectivist, and you should be to

I was a somebody, you are a little troll

I rode a unicorn, now your forlorn

Without my authority, your just a nobody

Carry on if you can, and remember my finger

Because in the end, I left it up my.....zinger

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

15 hours ago, mansr said:

That could be just talk. Everybody seems to like boasting about how much effort they've made and how hard it was, no matter what the subject. From what I've seen, adding MQA to a software solution should be pretty straight-forward. Simply take the provided library and plug it into the processing chain like you would any other codec. If it takes more than a man-week, there is something seriously wrong with your overall system architecture. At least I was able to do it with no documentation or assistance whatsoever.

I agree, @damien78 of Audirvana Plus implemented the MQA software unfolding ages ago, and he's a one man dev-team.
Maybe he can shed some light as too how hard the integration was, if at  all. :)

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

4 hours ago, ARQuint said:

Re: Mr. Quint.  I wish I could meet some of the people on this forum in person because it is impossible to get a complete picture of someone just by their words.  Mr. Quint may be the proverbial Life of the Party!  But nevertheless, the phrase "book smart, common sense dumb" comes to my mind. YOMV!!!

Jim

The great MQA chearleader defends the honor of MQA from 10,000 miles away...

"I think the biggest shock for me in comparing MQA / non-MQA tracks of recordings by Lindberg, Johnson, Chesky, Mc Grath, and Atkinson is that even the most vaunted of A to D converters has inherent timing errors that, to my ears, MQA seems to correct. Naysayers will tell me that I'm hearing something else, or that I'm just too deluded or delusional to notice that I'm being duped by the MQA cabal. Either that, or I'm a shill for MQA. There's no way to argue with that, since they clearly know me better than I know myself.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/arts-thursday-munich-part-two#Z2IvHkLMPaJsC1ui.99

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Trust me, if I can back this up, it isn't good news for MQA. This is the opposite of the other news that I hinted at that would be great for MQA. 

Knowing how Apple operates there is a reason why they introduced FLAC support in iPhones/iOS. They need to grow installed base of such devices worldwide before they introduce lossless (FLAC) music service. 

7 minutes ago, maxijazz said:

Knowing how Apple operates there is a reason why they introduced FLAC support in iPhones/iOS. They need to grow installed base of such devices worldwide before they introduce lossless (FLAC) music service. 

That is a falsehood. There is no "FLAC support" in iPhones/iOS. They simply introduced a file system. That means if you can find an app to play it, any file will play, including DSD. There have always been third party apps that could play FLAC on iOS.

21 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

That is a falsehood. There is no "FLAC support" in iPhones/iOS. They simply introduced a file system. That means if you can find an app to play it, any file will play, including DSD. There have always been third party apps that could play FLAC on iOS.

You must call Apple they have false statements on their pages (i.e https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/). 

I believe that official specifications mean, that iPhones 7 and newer have hardware decoder for FLAC (and most likely API hooks for the decoder). 

Since replacement cycle for iPhones is 2-3 years depending on country, then we should expect FLAC support enabled soon, this or next year (if business agreements get obtained on time). 

After new AM service gets announced FLAC support for iTunes and iOS Music apps will get enabled. 

Cheers,

Max

I speculate RBCD quality with FLAC will be the only option in AM. Same price as current AAC. 

Pure speculation (=conspiracy theory):

There must be a reason (in addition to desire for jack removal) why Apple removed headphone’s DAC from iPhones (about the time it implemented hardware FLAC decoder), thus promoting (or forcing) better, external DACs. ;)

7 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

The great MQA chearleader [sic] defends the honor of MQA from 10,000 miles away . . .
https://www.stereophile.com/content/arts-thursday-munich-part-two#Z2IvHkLMPaJsC1ui.99

This is the first time Art Dudley has ever commented on MQA. Don't see, therefore, how he can be called "the great MQA [chearleader."]

And take a look at https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-aliasing-b-splines-centers-gravity

There's an interesting listening test embedded in the text.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It was so courageous :~)

i believe it was about making the phone thinner and more water resistant. 

For the average music lover, AAC + Bluetooth HP's are not only good enough, but preferred.  No reason to keep a "legacy" DAC and jack in the phone...

It was so courageous :~)

They weren't even the first.

i believe it was about making the phone thinner and more water resistant. 

That makes engineering sense. The 3.5mm jack is bulky and difficult to water-proof.

8 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Music coming out of white noise as an audible test?  In real music, the music itself and the IM are both above the noise floor...what am I missing here?

In any case, "post shannon" is a spin term meant to describe a certain philosophy about filtering, audibility/desirability of "ringing", IM, and the like that is all based on shannon.  It's more of the same from the MQA promotion machine...

31 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

This is the first time Art Dudley has ever commented on MQA. Don't see, therefore, how he can be called "the great MQA [chearleader."]

And take a look at https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-aliasing-b-splines-centers-gravity

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

fyi...i was referring to JVS..who commented on the thread...not Art Dudley.

1 hour ago, maxijazz said:

You must call Apple they have false statements on their pages (i.e https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/). 

I believe that official specifications mean, that iPhones 7 and newer have hardware decoder for FLAC (and most likely API hooks for the decoder). 

Since replacement cycle for iPhones is 2-3 years depending on country, then we should expect FLAC support enabled soon, this or next year (if business agreements get obtained on time). 

After new AM service gets announced FLAC support for iTunes and iOS Music apps will get enabled. 

Cheers,

Max

Can you refer me to an Apple/iOS/OS program that will currently play FLAC? I have an iPhone 8 Plus and a Mac Book Pro......

36 minutes ago, crenca said:

Music coming out of white noise as an audible test?  In real music, the music itself and the IM are both above the noise floor...what am I missing here?

In any case, "post shannon" is a spin term meant to describe a certain philosophy about filtering, audibility/desirability of "ringing", IM, and the like that is all based on shannon.  It's more of the same from the MQA promotion machine...

A few posters here are going to have a field day with this link...center of gravity indeed...

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Can you or anyone help with this sentence

“Relaxing that constraint restores the symmetry between the time and frequency domains that was missing from Shannon's theory.”
I’m baffled. It makes zero sense to me.

You are not a sound quality measurement device

On 5/16/2018 at 5:21 PM, mansr said:

That could be just talk. Everybody seems to like boasting about how much effort they've made and how hard it was, no matter what the subject. From what I've seen, adding MQA to a software solution should be pretty straight-forward. Simply take the provided library and plug it into the processing chain like you would any other codec. If it takes more than a man-week, there is something seriously wrong with your overall system architecture. At least I was able to do it with no documentation or assistance whatsoever.

Well, in fairness to Roon, they did require that users would still be able to use DSP after the first unfold of the MQA file. AFAIK, they are the only one doing that. However, I'm on file with them as being, I think, one of the only Alpha testers that doesn't like MQA and won't test any features that require using MQA. 

ChrisG

Bend, OR

4 hours ago, adamdea said:

And the post Shannon thing still seems like blather. 

It is.

Willfully violating the sampling theorem is not a 'new theory'. It is a trade-off. And not necessarily a trade-off that makes sense.

And no BS, you were not the first one to try this. Have a chat with Tony Faulkner.