IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Time and frequency are interchangeable via the Fourier transform. If one is correct, so is the other.

He's not asserting anything at all as long as he's not making sense.

I've always assumed that Bob S. doesn't understand the Fourier Transform and the same goes for Austin, which is peculiar for a credentialed physicist.

1 hour ago, phosphorein said:

I've always assumed that Bob S. doesn't understand the Fourier Transform and the same goes for Austin, which is peculiar for a credentialed physicist.

I appears that way does it not?  Actually it is explicit:

"Post-Shannon sampling theory relaxes Shannon's requirement that a signal to be sampled—eg, a recording of music—be band-limited to half the sample rate. Relaxing that constraint restores the symmetry between the time and frequency domains that was missing from Shannon's theory."

What is really happening?  As @Jim Austinand others like to point out, he is a Fellow, and audio savant, a credentialed and respected member of the community, blah blah blah.  Yet, he is peddling what appears to be a sophisticated version of the laypersons stair step understanding of digital.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

3 minutes ago, Jim Austin said:

What are you folks still on about? Still assuming that all sampling theory ended with Shannon? This place is obviously a massive circle-jerk, but your posts are visible to the outside world, so you run the risk of embarrassing yourselves (those of you not hiding behind a pseudonym, that is). So I'll do you a favor--I'll present some quotes from scientific literature. Then you can dig them out yourself if you care to educate yourself; I don't expect that, but maybe it'll at least convince you to think twice before posting ignorant things. 

From an article by Yonina C. Eldar and Tomer Michaeli, published in IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. Both are at Technion, an the senior author--Eldar--has a PhD from MIT.

If you're feeling ambitious, look up "Sampling Moments and Reconstructing Signals of Finite Rate of Innovation: Shannon Meets Strang–Fix," by Pier Luigi Dragotti et al.; you can find the full citation in the MQA literature. The gist is that under appropriate conditions, signals that have a finite number of degrees of freedom per unit of time, "such as, for example, nonuniform splines or piecewise polynomials," can be perfectly reconstructed even if they are not band-limited ... but you must use appropriate sampling kernels--not the usual sincx function. The class of kernels "that we can use is very rich and includes functions satisfying Strang–Fix conditions, exponential splines and functions with rational Fourier transform." I'm not sure this strictly applies to a music signal, but in practical terms that may not matter--especially since there's no real need to recreate the waveform perfectly. 

Finally there's this, by Michael Unser, from IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. My copy of this is in pixels, not characters, so I'll paste in the image: 

5aff326c7d5a9_ScreenShot2018-05-18at4_05_05PM.png.0ccaba3c94c8977747fd34c2170dae76.png

5aff32d3e62c4_ScreenShot2018-05-18at4_08_23PM.png.192c423e74afdab464d3e17c479dd279.png

There's more I could quote. 

None of this proves that MQA is a good idea, that it's valid mathematically, or that its application to music makes sense, and it certainly doesn't prove that MQA sounds better. It does however show what some of you still seem to be questioning: sampling theory didn't end with Shannon. The body of theoretical work referred to in the latest MQA article/interview is real. 

So stop making fools of yourselves by pretending it doesn't exist. Or, just keep making fools of yourselves. Makes no difference to me. 

Oh, and no, I won't provide the citations. If you want to read them you can find them on your own. 

jca

Welcome back. You telling folks not to make fools of them selves..oh that is JUST too rich. And not a good way to be taken seriously.

11 minutes ago, Jim Austin said:

So stop making fools of yourselves by pretending it doesn't exist. Or, just keep making fools of yourselves. Makes no difference to me. 

When are the manufacturer's who jumped in with MQA going to realize what an embarrassment it is becoming to be associated with it?  Is is really a farce!

Jim

39 minutes ago, mansr said:

It should be noted that anti-MQA people have also been banned. Not because of their views on MQA, but because they failed to maintain a civil tone of discourse. Just like everybody who has been banned here.

Quite. true. I have come to believe that Mr. Connaker  in general bans people not for what they say, but how they say it. Pro this or Anti that.