IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

6 minutes ago, rickca said:

Once you get more experience with better cables, you will change your tune about the impact they can have on sound.

You pulled exactly the same stuff here on CA with @Shadders, and you brought it up, not him.

Regardless, can we please not dilute this with cable discussions. They really have nothing to do with MQA and it is just a diversion.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

15 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Please stop taking things out of context. This was in response to Agitator claiming that he cannot hear differences between cables.

And it is also established that higher resolving systems do highlight differences from equipment changes as well as format differences, all else being equal.

What context? You have failed to present anything of substance to the questions you have been asked. One doesn't need a "resolving" system to understand that there has yet to be a compelling reason why MQA is required to perform the simple filters used by it. It is not "authenticated", it is not hi res, it is not elegant, it is not smaller than FLAK and AFAIK, it is not even new. How about you provide something tangible to prevent us from simply feeling you are a spokesperson?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

3 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Very interesting that Hoffman himself (no doubt receiving a TON of PMs from Scoggins) made a statement that's basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And having spent years reading the forums over there, I can say with confidence that once you've lost Metralla (one of the original forum members from 2002), you're done.  And it sure looks like even he is not impressed with Scoggins' MQA lovefest.

Scoggins has gone so far to suggest that cable skeptics are not qualified to evaluate MQA because, well, if they can't hear the increase in sound quality that happens when high end interconnects or power cables are used, they certainly won't hear the awesome benefits of MQA.

I really don't think Scoggins was expecting this level of push back on what he considered a "friendly" forum (Hoffman).  And the fact that all those critical posts about MQA are still there and threads are not locked or vanished tells me that Hoffman has decided to let MQA face withering fire.

Well said.

And that is why I think Scroggie will be chased out of one forum after another by facts, until he falls down into the lowest level of rational discourse about audio gear... Audiogon.

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Just saw this quote from Lee at his Hoffman forum thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-new-article-series-on-mqa.723574/page-2#post-17874636

and he wonders why we don't take his "investigative journalism" seriously....

Again the term disingenuous comes to mind...It is about time he ends the charade that he is not somehow part of

the MQA cabal with a vested interest in it succeeding. Whether trolling for consulting work, or just getting closer

to "Bob's" inner circle.

On 1/19/2018 at 5:59 PM, Fair Hedon said:

NAMM 2018: PMC partners with Capitol Studios to demo Hi-Res audio

"The main technology driver behind Hi-Res Audio is MQA (Master Quality Authenticated), which claims to bring higher quality sound to consumers without sacrificing portability and ease of streaming."

?????

I look at this for what it is. Hi-res audio is not on the radar of artists and they hope to change that without giving the artist more money of course.

MQA is in the booth of a British speaker manufacturer which sounds like they are trying to conserve cash.

And of course the article says Universal licensed MQA part of its library not all. So I can say I don’t trust any announcements or private emails saying labels are committed to releasing their entire catalog in MQA unless someone shows me a copy of the contract.

7 hours ago, firedog said:

Just saw this quote from Lee at his Hoffman forum thread:

"Where has MQA admitted that their algorithm is lossy? If you are right I need to see some evidence as the MQA team is telling me the opposite."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-new-article-series-on-mqa.723574/page-2#post-17874636

and he wonders why we don't take his "investigative journalism" seriously....

Yep! I'm the one he's responding to there, and I replied to his query with the evidence he demanded, linking and quoting both Stereophile and Stuart himself admitting that MQA is lossy. To the best of my knowledge, @Lee Scoggins did not reply directly to that evidence or acknowledge it in any way. (Lee, if I am mistaken about that, please point us to the comment you made at the Hoffman forums where you do acknowledge that MQA is lossy.)

39 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Yep! I'm the one he's responding to there, and I replied to his query with the evidence he demanded, linking and quoting both Stereophile and Stuart himself admitting that MQA is lossy. To the best of my knowledge, @Lee Scoggins did not reply directly to that evidence or acknowledge it in any way. (Lee, if I am mistaken about that, please point us to the comment you made at the Hoffman forums where you do acknowledge that MQA is lossy.)

Again, he continues with the same strategy...tone deaf..ignoring facts pointed out on numerous occasions...

right out of the Stereophile playbock..to this day...Jim Austin is Stereophile's Scoggins.

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I wrote to What Hifi a few days ago to notify them that MQA is lossy - as their article stated it was lossless. No response so far, and no change to the article.

Regards,

Shadders.

It was not the only incorrect point in this horrible researched and superficial article, updated from a previous more than one year old version. E.g. the chapter "Where can I buy and download hi-res music?" is concerning the market players, catalogs and competition analysis deceptively wrong and incomplete. Of course, as usual in this publication, favor a British participant. Isn't MQA Ltd., Meridian and BS British?

1 hour ago, Indydan said:

Well, Lee hasn’t posted here or at the SH forum in a few days. After the beating he took on both forums, he has probably withdrawn to his corner to whimper and cry a little...

You shouldn't have said his name... he just popped up again at SH.

In cases like this it's usually best to let sleeping dogs lie... Nothing annoys such people more than being ignored.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

9 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

You shouldn't have said his name... he just popped up again at SH.

In cases like this it's usually best to let sleeping dogs lie... Nothing annoys such people more than being ignored.

Yes, and his MQA Marketing is no so over the top is borders on absurdity...and his defense of anything or anyone related to MQA is laughable..."Meridian may not be losing money globally...". "Stuart is has written peer reviewed papers", "Audio Origami is so elegant"....go ahead, have a laugh.