IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Oh how I miss stereocentral.tv!!!

Scoggie got Daddy Hoffman to ban me. He could not take the heat.

So telling lies, trolling, and fabricating information out of thin air is ok...but challenging that is not.

Hmmm..

Maybe it was because I asked Daddy Hoffman if he had been given an MQA demo in a mastering studio....

Obviously Lee has ran out of names to drop and can only support one forum now.

His latest posts are trying to straighten out everyone on the downsampling upsampling "myth".  To his knowledge the second unfold is recovering content > 96kHz and there is no downsampling on MQA creation.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

1 minute ago, Dr Tone said:

Obviously Lee has ran out of names to drop and can only support one forum now.

His latest posts are trying to straighten out everyone on the downsampling upsampling "myth".  To his knowledge the second unfold is recovering content > 96kHz and there is no downsampling on MQA creation.

MQA is a fantasy, so it is no surprise he relies on magical thinking.

He got his buddy Uncle Steve personally involved in his thread...curious....have not seen that before.

1 hour ago, Fair Hedon said:

MQA is a fantasy, so it is no surprise he relies on magical thinking.

He got his buddy Uncle Steve personally involved in his thread...curious....have not seen that before.

The culture over there is different.  Rest assured that Scoggins was burying Hoffman in PMs regarding that quasi-sponsored MQA thread.  I'm sure he got Hoffman to give you the boot by suggesting you were making Hoffman's forum look unfriendly to vendors.

The reason Hoffman seems to be agnostic about MQA is there's no free gear in it for him.

My marketing manager Bill has these two shipping to me next week for long-term loan. Anyone have them or listened? What do you think? Gus Skinas of www.SuperAudioCenter.com (who's ears I trust) raves about this setup for CD playback (won't play SACDs, ironically). He thinks it is the best he's ever heard..

28 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

The culture over there is different.  Rest assured that Scoggins was burying Hoffman in PMs regarding that quasi-sponsored MQA thread.  I'm sure he got Hoffman to give you the boot by suggesting you were making Hoffman's forum look unfriendly to vendors.

The reason Hoffman seems to be agnostic about MQA is there's no free gear in it for him.

Yes, but the PS Audio DAC he has on "long term loan" now does MQA, correct?

27 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

?? Looks more like speculation with, just perhaps, a touch of negative bias. :D

33 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Hoffman clearly has no Tidal account, in fact, does not have any file playback system what so ever, by his own admission. He listens only to CDs and SACDs for digital. He does not even know where to start to set a network based high resolution streamer.

3 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

Yes, but the PS Audio DAC he has on "long term loan" now does MQA, correct?

I have read that, but don't know first hand.  I always thought laying out $10k for the full DirectStream setup was somewhat foolhardy as the State Of The Art moves so quickly.  I've heard the DS and it sounds nice, but I never heard $10k worth of value there.

1 minute ago, Fair Hedon said:

Hoffman clearly has no Tidal account, in fact, does not have any file playback system what so ever, by his own admission. He listens only to CDs and SACDs for digital. He does not even know where to start to set a network based high resolution streamer.

From what I've heard from people present at his mastering sessions with Stephen Marsh, Hoffman only provides verbal feedback for sound (and over at the now defunct stereocentral.tv, he earned the title: EQ Consultant).  Others twiddle knobs to his specifications.  I've heard Hoffman has something like zero ProTools skills.

8 hours ago, Thuaveta said:

For those who'd like a slightly lateral take on whether bandwidth savings matter to the experience of even mobile users going forward, there's an interesting piece on Qualcomm (the guys who make the radio chips in cellphones) right here. It's a bit starry-eyed, but contrast this to the utility claims MQA is making :

It will be interesting to see if MQA enabled portable devices/phones come with a .25¢ DAC or a $25 DAC.

1 hour ago, Fair Hedon said:

Lee Scoggins, today:

"DRM has not been implemented for MQA and there is a question as to whether we can hear the lossy parts."

Simply divide a MP3 recording to lossless and lossy part, then attenuate the lossy part so you cannot hear it and then what remains is completely lossless!! MP3 quality authenticated. Origami guaranteed. DRM not implemented.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I have read that, but don't know first hand.  I always thought laying out $10k for the full DirectStream setup was somewhat foolhardy as the State Of The Art moves so quickly.  I've heard the DS and it sounds nice, but I never heard $10k worth of value there.

By, the way, he actually did answer my query to him..had he experienced an MQA demo-

His response:

"MQA, not interested in. Now, the MJQ I can always be interested in! "