On 8/20/2019 at 12:35 AM, Musicophile said:

Another recent Qobuz sale purchase:

Celine-Frisch-und-Cafe-Zimmer-spielen-Jo

Redbook download of year 2000 digital recording. 

Are these animal skins on the cover photo.? What's the connection with Bach or GV.? The only idea that came to my mind was that this might be allusion to this character.. (notice 'Bon Appetit' magazine on the table :)) but it's a little 'far out' association I think.. 

20 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Are these animal skins on the cover photo.? What's the connection with Bach or GV.? The only idea that came to my mind was that this might be allusion to this character.. (notice 'Bon Appetit' magazine on the table :)) but it's a little 'far out' association I think.. 

Looks like it.

The photo is from a series of pictures from Morocco in the 1980s by Magnum photographer Bruno Barbey. 

The booklet doesn’t specify why it was selected.  

13 minutes ago, rando said:

I'd hazard the similar shapes layed out where you can examine how the slight differences can be starkly obvious or very fine. 

Probably the most convincing explanation. Kudos to you :) 

It's just that the aesthetic/ethic connotations (these are parts of dead animals after all) wouldn't make this photo my first choice for the cover of Bach album. BTW the guy makes really good photos - I'm quite impressed by his Morocco shots.

18 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Probably the most convincing explanation. Kudos to you :) 

It's just that the aesthetic/ethic connotations (these are parts of dead animals after all) wouldn't make this photo my first choice for the cover of Bach album. BTW the guy makes really good photos - I'm quite impressed by his Morocco shots.

Vegetarians are still a very rare breed in France and I doubt many French beyond Brigitte Bardot would be offended by this material.  

And I agree the photographer is good. Magnum still is a gauge of quality in most instances. 

56 minutes ago, rando said:

Plus, artistically the works have grown beyond direct reverence.  

National Geographic also has some unexpectedly good images merging the modern world with thousands of years old cultural aspects.  For some reason one of a Cessna crashing into the pickup truck the photographer just arrived in being watched by a small robed group of men and their animals came to mind.  As an example album cover for a work that saw unexpected violence at the premiere.  

One could say that both - the photographer and the two guys who jumped out of the truck a moment before the crash - were lucky. And fast..

https://fearoflanding.com/photography/plane-vs-truck/

29 minutes ago, rando said:

Yes, I want to say there's a series of photos, film so not exactly 20 frames a second, with the other elements I mentioned. 

Thanks for tracking that down.  

You're welcome - I was curious myself, haven't seen this one before.