Two things stood out to me about this album.  The (normal sized front of case) booklet was among the nicest full color, good paper stock, I've encountered.  Secondly, how intuitively these works had been composed to speak to a Midwest audience.

Ott.jpg.ed9927cb7714603468bb6bcde46ac57a.jpg

On 3/21/2019 at 2:14 PM, EuroChamp said:

I agree with your review totally.

As a hint, if you do not know them already, please check the Artur Schnabl versions on pristineclassical.com

His playing is highly regarded, together with the astonishing "Pristine" mastering of these 80 year old recordings.

The Live feeling and the realism are second to none.

https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pakm046

https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pakm041

These are my absolute favorites.

Schnabel is fantastic, but I still have problems with the SQ in spite of the remaster.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:55 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oh boy is this a special album. Great music and great sound. 

Qobuz - https://open.qobuz.com/album/3149027001014

HDtracks - https://www.hdtracks.com/live-at-the-olympia-june-27-2012

Tidal - Can't find it in Tidal

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 8.51.37 AM.jpg

Thanks for recommending this album. I purchase my music from the iTunes store and I do not hear Yusef Lateef in the band.  I searched YouTube for Poinciana from this concert, iTunes notes that he is featured in this song.  No signs of him in the video.  And the album cover picture looks like he was added in. Great album non the less.

1 hour ago, cambridgehank said:

Thanks for recommending this album. I purchase my music from the iTunes store and I do not hear Yusef Lateef in the band.  I searched YouTube for Poinciana from this concert, iTunes notes that he is featured in this song.  No signs of him in the video.  And the album cover picture looks like he was added in. Great album non the less.

I was wondering about this as well. Lateef would have been in his early 90s(!) when this was recorded (he died a year later at 93).

The blurb at HD Tracks (below) answered the question for me.  Looks like he joined the band for the final song (Poinciana).  I'm looking forward to giving this a listen once Tidal gets it.

Olympia, Paris, June 27, 2012. In this mythical concert hall, the Ahmad Jamal quartet played in telepathic mode to reinvent the Blue Moon repertoire. Then, before giving the audience a transformed rendering of Poinciana, a hit from the Chess era, the pianist brought on stage Yusef Lateef who played with him in the glory days of the Atlantic label. The pioneering world fusion wind player then conjured up some magical moments and took us on one of those mystical journeys to which he has the key. This recording offers the entire historic concert, illuminated by these two jazz greats inspired by groove and the spirit of the sacred.

Recorded June 27, 2012 at L'Olympia in Paris, France.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

10 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Schnabel is fantastic, but I still have problems with the SQ in spite of the remaster.

Did you really listen to the "Pristine" masterings? In my opinion they are spectacular! Maybe they are not that clean as "new" good recordings, but Schnabels piano is captured, I would say, almost perfect.

4 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I could have swore I had this on CD, but I don't see it anywhere in my library. Next step is to search my physical CDs for it. If I don't find it, buy the hi-res download. Listening to it via Qobuz.

RoonShareImage-637004404465570630.png

In A Sentimental Mood is fantastic. I still have the CD rip.