1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

@AnotherSpin 

I apologize for my ignorance but I don't really know who Kim Kardashian is except from the fact that (if I'm not mistaken) she had something to do with Formula 1. She's not a driver though, is she.? x-D (ok, I gueess she's into fashion or cosmetics, but I don't really want to know).

I actually also don't know a single song by Justin Bieber (he's kind of one boy - boys band and he's not related to Heinrich Ignaz Franz Bieber in any way, right.? ;)) or Lady Gaga for that matter. Somehow I have always been able to stay away from cultural phenomena I wasn't interested in - probably due to the fact that there are already too many such phenomena I am interested in  :)

I am not a person to ask about Kim Kardashian, she is virtually not known outside of US, I guess. Ask @rando who mentions her repeatedly. I took her birthday date from wikipedia. The same with Biber, sorry.

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Somehow I have always been able to stay away from cultural phenomena I wasn't interested in - probably due to the fact that there are already too many such phenomena I am interested in  :)

Spiteful laughter behind your back that wouldn't touch you then.  One more reason to focus on music you enjoy instead of distractions that easily capture the weak minded.  :)

Album of the morning.

4443822-origpic-114268.thumb.jpg.1375f31e250ac226208b5945e51ba41d.jpg

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I am not a person to ask about Kim Kardashian, she is virtually not known outside of US, I guess. Ask @rando who mentions her repeatedly. I took her birthday date from wikipedia. The same with Biber, sorry.

I didn't suspect you of some particular interest in these two, was just saying.

Stämningsfullt - Mariakören

Recorded in the Hässleholm kyrka (church) using its Marcussen Organ.  1  2  played by the church's organist Birgitta Roslund. 

1175760558_08121913572.thumb.jpg.cd7bbd378fa84f3826a98c6761bb8519.jpg

A recent performance of The St. John Passion with Stockholm Bach Society and Mariakören

Not that anyone here would ever consider condemning the actions of hardworking performers commissioning new works and actively issuing self recorded albums merely focused on the continued health of music within their own small community.  Attempting to force me into defending an album choice by derision and incisively negative portrayals of everyone from myself through the person who dared record and master such an abortion of sounds.  :)

Granted this was buried pretty deep for a good long time.  Making it realistic to imagine it's not his best. Still it finally decided "Ambassador Satch" is sticking around while any others matching the description of Jazz are leaving my collection.  Just not music I can find ways to enjoy.  

The film looks... interesting.  Might watch it before erasing this soundtrack for good.

Th.thumb.jpg.fce931c2ce491f7f7d364891bc1dab2b.jpg

Who would have thought I'd one day write such a negative review of a Vänskä / Minnesota recording - a combination I typically really love. But at least, my double feature review proposes a better alternative:

https://musicophilesblog.com/2019/08/15/a-review-of-two-recent-recordings-of-mahler-1-by-vanska-and-roth/

l5nb2y7pzojma_600.jpg

7 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Who would have thought I'd one day write such a negative review of a Vänskä / Minnesota recording

I understand that sentiment and too had high expectations  for their Mahler cycle to date.  I absolutely love 2,  but have been somewhat disappointed with 5 and 6.  For me, the  latter ( my favourite Mahler symphony) in particular lacks the drama and “bite” in the outer movements found in Solti CSO for example.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Taste is such a personal thing. I found the opposite. The Roth did nothing for me, but I really like the Vänskä, even if it's not my absolute favorite 1st. For that, my nod goes to:

1. MTT San Francisco Symphony
  2. Benjamin Zander, Philharmonia Orchestra

That said, I love your blog. Keep the reviews coming.

Mahler really seems to be a composer where the concept of an “objectively good” interpretation is even more tricky than for let’s say Mozart or Beethoven. 

There seems to be quite different things long how Mahler should sound like (as witnessed already by Mahler and Klemperer who both had worked with the composer himself at some point). 

So the only conclusion can be: YMMV.