Modest Mussorgsky

Pictures at an Exhibition

Neeme Järvi/Chicago Symphony Orchestra

This is the Ravel orchestration.  I can't decide if I prefer this or the Stokowski orchestration, as they both have great merit and beauty/thrills.  I like the piano original, of course, and I also love the adaptation for low strings that I own from BIS.

446020470_JarviMussorgskya.jpg.a98823aefd8989a0f5e0a47d034fb04e.jpg

1688967402_JarviMussorgskyb.jpg.e4acef14100373b1434148f72b737cd1.jpg

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

yvy58rxra6auc_600.jpg

I really wanted to like this album, but didn't succeed at all (starting from the horribly 90s looking cover). Here's my not very positive review:  https://musicophilesblog.com/2019/03/10/youn-sun-nahs-latest-album-immersion-really-not-my-cup-of-tea/.

Let me know what you think. 

23 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

yvy58rxra6auc_600.jpg

I really wanted to like this album, but didn't succeed at all (starting from the horribly 90s looking cover). Here's my not very positive review:  https://musicophilesblog.com/2019/03/10/youn-sun-nahs-latest-album-immersion-really-not-my-cup-of-tea/.

Well... to let you know I need to listen this album. based on your notice I think I will skip it. Sorry, no opinion. 

3 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Please check it out. I may well be the only one not liking it!

Surely you will not be the only one.

Anyways, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Youn Sun Nah is one of my favorites and having another album is a treat. I love it! Love the experimentation with effects and just LOVE it!!!

my > overly > fancy > system > with > directional > interconnects > powered > by > ego & linear fusion reactor

23 minutes ago, Bikutoru said:

Surely you will not be the only one.

Anyways, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Youn Sun Nah is one of my favorites and having another album is a treat. I love it! Love the experimentation with effects and just LOVE it!!!

That’s what I thought. Love it or hate it. Glad you’re enjoying it!

8 hours ago, Musicophile said:

yvy58rxra6auc_600.jpg

I agree. I loved her earlier work, but I cannot relate at all to this one.

Alexander Scriabin

Symphony No. 2

Piano Concerto

Vasily Petrenko/Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra

Kirill Gerstein, piano

Gorgeous playing and textures, wonderful conducting by Petrenko, excellent recording quality!  One thing I love about modern times is that so many wonderful orchestras all over the world are being recorded with superb sonics, unlike the past when only a couple dozen at best were well-recorded.

381606284_Scriabin2Petrenkofront.jpg.ac500226b5f51f99deb40011ee836d11.jpg

1244134836_Scriabin2Petrenkob.jpg.131cfccadb39d3dbd8d1c5864f062024.jpg

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子