11 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

[...] I haven't been on such a French Baroque binge since the mid-1990s, I think!  haha!  Probably 90% of my listening this past month has been to Marais, Couperin, Rameau, Lully, and a few lesser-known French composers of the Baroque era. [...]

So what's your recommendations on these lesser-known French Baroque composers? Always eager to get to know unknown composers hahaha! Album of yesterday evening:

Lully: Persée

Tafelmusik, Hervé Niquet, et al.

51ZMKyqnEdL.jpg

Off the top of my head, French Baroque favorites in no particular order (if you like this era, you probably will already know all of these composers):

Jean-Féry Rebel

Jean-Philippe Rameau

Monsieur de Sainte-Colombe (his given name is uncertain, although some sources now are claiming that it was Jean)

Jean-Baptiste Lully

Marin Marais

Jean-Marie Leclair (there were two, and they were brothers rather than père et fils as might be expected haha, the elder has more surviving compositions)

Louis Couperin

François Couperin (he's the better-known Couperin, at least today)

André Campra

Marc-Antoine Charpentier (the much later Gustave Charpentier composed the opera Louise, I have no idea if he was descended from the Baroque composer)

Antoine Forqueray

Louis-Nicolas Clérambault

I'm probably forgetting someone important or whose music I love haha!  I'll have to check later among my CDs.  I can share some favorite CDs from the list if anyone cares haha!  Rebel and Rameau are in bold for good reason haha!

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

Jean-Féry Rebel

Les éléments (spelled élémens on the title page of the composition, but with a "t" on this recording as in modern French)

Jordi Savall/Le Concert des Nations

I think this is my favorite performance of this magnificent work of the 6 interpretations in my collection.  (I still need to get Minkowski's and Hogwood's versions, perhaps I can find them on CD on Presto Music or one of the European Amazon sites.)  Well, I'll probably listen to the recording in its entirety, and not just the Rebel, as it's one of my favorite Savall releases.

1093710574_ElementsRebelSavalla.thumb.jpg.ac5efbbdb169e2233e2fa06e9ced008d.jpg

346400215_ElementsRebelSavallb.thumb.jpg.e9575ba81907dc0bb8ae90614f2ca4b8.jpg

5 hours ago, accwai said:

So what's your recommendations on these lesser-known French Baroque composers? Always eager to get to know unknown composers hahaha! Album of yesterday evening:

Lully: Persée

Tafelmusik, Hervé Niquet, et al.

51ZMKyqnEdL.jpg

32 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

Off the top of my head, French Baroque favorites in no particular order (if you like this era, you probably will already know all of these composers):

Jean-Féry Rebel

Jean-Philippe Rameau

Monsieur de Sainte-Colombe (his given name is uncertain, although some sources now are claiming that it was Jean)

Jean-Baptiste Lully

Marin Marais

Jean-Marie Leclair (there were two, and they were brothers rather than père et fils as might be expected haha, the elder has more surviving compositions)

Louis Couperin

André Campra

Marc-Antoine Charpentier (the much later Gustave Charpentier composed the opera Louise, I have no idea if he was descended from the Baroque composer)

Antoine Forqueray

I'm probably forgetting someone important or whose music I love haha!  I'll have to check later among my CDs.  I can share some favorite CDs from the list if anyone cares haha!  Rebel and Rameau are in bold for good reason haha!

@accwai I forgot to quote your post or tag you in my reply, and now it's too late to edit my post haha!

23 hours ago, crenca said:

Is this a Soundcloud only Sasha release, or do you know?  It does not appear to be on Tidal/Qobuz...

This is a monthly release dating back to origins as an iTunes Podcast.  I believe it might still be issued there as such.  Officially the monthly release is now done on Soundcloud now (highly likely it pays better per play).  So I believe there are download and streaming options in full VBR.  

19 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

Marin Marais

Marais 1689:  Pièces à une et à deux violes et basse continue

Paolo Pandolfo, Viola da gamba

Amélie Chemin, Viola da gamba

Thomas Boysen, Theorbo and baroque guitar

Markus Hünninger, Harpsichord

Beautiful music, wonderful performances...I haven't been on such a French Baroque binge since the mid-1990s, I think!  haha!  Probably 90% of my listening this past month has been to Marais, Couperin, Rameau, Lully, and a few lesser-known French composers of the Baroque era.  (Lully was born in Italy, but spent most of his life in France and became a naturalized citizen.)

192410448_Marais1689a.thumb.jpg.d02561e189d8eb107b84e9952e725db8.jpg

974661448_Marais1689b.thumb.jpg.83174077ca35227943a3840f4715e20d.jpg

Listening to my CD, but here it is on Qobuz:

https://open.qobuz.com/album/8424562204157

Thank you for this recommendation!  Absolutely gorgeous - unfortunately, doesn't seem to be available for purchase from Qobuz in the US, but I've added it to my Roon library to stream and enjoy until / unless it becomes available for purchase later :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

3 hours ago, jhwalker said:

Thank you for this recommendation!  Absolutely gorgeous - unfortunately, doesn't seem to be available for purchase from Qobuz in the US, but I've added it to my Roon library to stream and enjoy until / unless it becomes available for purchase later :)

You're very welcome!  :) I buy CDs or Hybrid SACDs personally, as I have to have physical copies.  The few times I've purchased downloads, it was because I couldn't get a physical disc (out of print or not sold in the U.S. or on Amazon's worldwide stores or Presto Classical or Arkiv Music).  And in those cases, I always burn a disc and play that, rather than the download.

I used to use Spotify to listen to recordings to see if the performance or composition was worth buying on disc.  I've switched to Qobuz for that.  Qobuz has wonderful sound quality and gapless playback, so it's nice to have as a listening option when I'm lazy and don't want to switch discs, or when I just want to hear a portion of an album, so I'll probably keep this subscription.  It's also nice to be able to share a Qobuz link here in case anyone is interested.

Back to my greatest love tonight:

Leontyne Price ❤️

Giuseppe Verdi

Aida

with Jon Vickers, Rita Gorr, and Robert Merrill

Georg Solti/Rome Opera House Orchestra and Chorus

Blu-ray Audio

798384070_LPAIDA.jpg.671926d55c475b5f7c3da84839c3c9d5.jpg

Here she is in Rome, during one of the recording sessions for this glorious recording:

2107959502_LPinItaly.thumb.jpg.423bf7232858e74072a349e363744019.jpg

Qobuz has this remaster:

https://open.qobuz.com/album/0002894831600

10 minutes ago, Russell_L said:

Album of the Last Several Evenings, to be more precise.  I have to admit that Beethoven’s quartets, especially the late ones, have been a tough nut for me to crack, and I’ve never been able to really get “into” them, despite my love for most of Beethoven’s other work.  Nevertheless, I decided to sit down and really LISTEN to them, in succession.  The Blu-ray Audio disc of this release made this task easy—all 16 quartets are on a single BDA—and all I can say is that it was a revelation, both in terms of the music itself (what a genius Beethoven was!) and the extremely high level of committed playing on the part of the Takacs.  Fabulous!

Beethoven_ String Qts 1-16.jpg

hum...8 hours 32 mins on Qobuz...sounds like a challenge!  

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

17 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

Jean-Féry Rebel

Jean-Philippe Rameau

Jean-Baptiste Lully

Marin Marais

Louis Couperin

André Campra

Antoine Forqueray

Wow, these names do sound vaguely familiar. Must have seen them all before on this and the Song of the Day thread. Album of yesterday evening:

Antoine Dauvergne: Hercule Mourant

Les Talens Lyriques, Christophe Rousset, et al.

MI0003461444.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

11 hours ago, Russell_L said:

Album of the Last Several Evenings, to be more precise.  I have to admit that Beethoven’s quartets, especially the late ones, have been a tough nut for me to crack, and I’ve never been able to really get “into” them, despite my love for most of Beethoven’s other work.  Nevertheless, I decided to sit down and really LISTEN to them, in succession.  The Blu-ray Audio disc of this release made this task easy—all 16 quartets are on a single BDA—and all I can say is that it was a revelation, both in terms of the music itself (what a genius Beethoven was!) and the extremely high level of committed playing on the part of the Takacs.  Fabulous!

Yes, fully agree. 

Here’s my review: https://musicophilesblog.com/2017/08/13/the-complete-beethoven-string-quartets-by-the-takacs-quartet-a-masterpiece/

By the way, if you are a Qobuz Sublime subscriber you can get the full 24/48 downloads for around €44, an excellent deal for nearly 9h of sublime music. I go back to it all the time. 

14 hours ago, Russell_L said:

I have always felt that, like some of Bach and perhaps Stravinsky, these are among the few pieces of music that give a taste of Things To Come.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:50 PM, jhwalker said:

You tried this link:

https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/marais-1689-amelie-chemin/8424562204157

Roch