2 hours ago, Musicophile said:
4 hours ago, accwai said:

In any case, one of my amps just blew up so I'll be taking a break from music for a while. See you people.

Just get headphones!

Or try 1 ch mono (some prefer it that way) ;)

It was pretty hot here today.. Cool off, guys and

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Back to music 

🎵🎵🎵

I really wouldn't like this thread to be closed x-D

11 hours ago, accwai said:

Hasn't the Hogwood version been recommended more than once in this thread before? So what's wrong with it? And what's so special about this composition that requires investigating and owning every version?

I simply said it wasn't to my taste, which was a good thing in that I cannot locate it on CD.  I like to own a physical copy of all of my favorite music and performances.

There isn't really anything 'wrong' with it.  I don't like the attack on the opening chord compared to the other versions I have, and there is (as sometimes happened with early recordings from the Academy of Ancient Music) at least one musician with a little intonation problem.  I am sensitive to certain small deviations from pitch (although not as much as I was in my youth, I should do another of those cent tests, it's been ten years since I last did one).  I had to give up listening to anything Simon Standage recorded after he left The English Concert, as I started noticing a slight problem.  Probably due to his own hearing fading with the advancing years.  Playing a violin cannot be good for one's hearing, such close range, compounded by bone conduction for a violinist I'd imagine.

Regarding collections of an individual work, this is nothing compared to some, where I have two dozen or more different interpretations.  haha!  I find this work to be extremely beautiful and thrilling.  On an academic level, musicians and scholars have discussed the dissonance of the opening movement, Chaos, for centuries.  If you enjoy Baroque music at all, I'd highly recommend checking it out.  None of the recordings are bad to my knowledge.  Sadly, I've been listening again to the Hogwood version on Qobuz as I've been typing this reply to you, with the result that I'll probably renew my search for it on CD haha!  Oh well, what's one more CD (if I can find it new and unopened).

2098008304_ElementsChristopherHogwooda.jpg.3955f69aa7cc742788f80b7ca651d21f.jpg

Best of luck with your amplifier!

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

This is one of my favorite Tafelmusick discs, in the case #3.  I honestly don't know much about the artist (The Hellicon Ensemble), but it is one of those "Prof Johnson" recordings, and it is exceedingly well done.  I listened to this near field for the very first time, and it is quite an experience. I think I will do some more near field listening,. :)

1752544505_ScreenShot2019-03-07at6_31_45PM.png.ffd54ea9b6b23f73fc0fd43f9c442208.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

On 1/6/2019 at 8:07 AM, Musicophile said:

My current favorite is Céline Frisch. 

https://musicophilesblog.com/2016/02/04/celine-frischs-beautiful-well-tempered-clavier/

Richter was my first love, Hewitt (as usual with Bach) has done two great recordings, and Schiff‘s earlier recording is also worth checking out. 

I was able to listen Celine Frisch finally. Not WTC now (will do later), but Goldbergs. And I am glad I did, very nice recordings to occupy its own place among many and many of other available versions. As I told already I am not a great devotee of harpsichord, but in this case it sound just perfect. Frisch's reading is fluid and transparent at the same time convincing. Thank you very much!

On 1/6/2019 at 6:07 AM, Musicophile said:

My current favorite is Céline Frisch. 

https://musicophilesblog.com/2016/02/04/celine-frischs-beautiful-well-tempered-clavier/

Richter was my first love, Hewitt (as usual with Bach) has done two great recordings, and Schiff‘s earlier recording is also worth checking out. 

4 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I was able to listen Celine Frisch finally. Not WTC now (will do later), but Goldbergs. And I am glad I did, very nice recordings to occupy its own place among many and many of other available versions. As I told already I am not a great devotee of harpsichord, but in this case it sound just perfect. Frisch's reading is fluid and transparent at the same time convincing. Thank you very much!

I have never bought an Alpha recording. Is it close-mic'ed?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I have been spending some time modifying my needle drop rig, trying to eliminate an annoyed 24k resonance (or something) that isn't supposed to be in there. Today I setup my little PreSonus Studio 1810c to bring in the sound from my TT, and just grabbed the first record that came to hand to test it with. 

Oh my, talk about taking a time trip back to the late 1960s. This was hot stuff when I was a kid. My favorite cousin loved this album. I typed in the notes on the back of the album cover just because you gotta read them to get the feel for this album, the time, and why people actually liked it so much.  They are included beneath the picture below.  Any typos are of course, mine. 

Unfortunately, this album is not, so far as I can tell, on Qobuz or Apple Music. 

-Paul

1890121302_ScreenShot2019-03-08at2_31_23PM.thumb.png.a1f9bd8e075d5fe71a44ff66ef7d9a9e.png

DON HO Creates INSTANT HAPPY

Reprise Records. RS6283

At Duke’s, they sit over dinner (steak or ribs, not a poi in the place). They down Mai Tai’s from grapefruit sized tumblers, each tumbler urging “Suck Em Up” and in tall, scarlet letters, “Souvenir of Duke’s.”  Tourists are welcome to load up their suitcases with all the glasses they can empty. And, after five Tahitian imports shake the shambles out of their hips, and four beer-bellied Tahitians beat the Bejesus out of their oil drums, and after three lean Tahitians singe their sideburns with spinning torches, people applaud. But wait. For Don Ho.

Outside, in a block-wide courtyard called the The International Settlement, there is a Polynesian Disneyland, filled with booths selling coral necklaces, funny-saying T shirts, and more of those camellia print aloha shirts. Through the gas torches and palms, a crowd of 300 [sic] starts lining up, for for Don Ho’s midnight show.

And you wonder what the hell Ho’s got.

At his most formal, in sweat shirt and white ducks, Don Ho mounts the stage at Duke’s. He does it with as much show biz flair as you exhibit entering your garage. No cymbals, no flashing spots, no booming “And NOW!” What announces him is the hush.

Five hundred faces turn his way. Behind Don stand the Aliis, Aloha camellia shirted, looking like weird models for Macgregor Sportswear. They amble to their vibes, piano, guitars, drums. Without the camellia coutour, they could look like a loose Paul Revere and the Raiders. Without those instruments, they might be a stranded rhythm group from an old Harry Owens tour. With both, the look and sound unique.

Together, they may sing about silver shores, but the shores today twang and rock. Songs about wahinis, huapala, and pua blossom with a with a zing that is more Nancy Sinatra than Hilo Hati.

And so, with no in front fanfare, Don Ho launches his opener. Probably “Tiny Bubbles,” with a subtle blend of after beat and ease, of triplets and poi-mount vocal, of luaus with stingers. The sophisticates in his audience turn around in surprise. They look around at the the other 500 intent on Ho. Without urging, the 500 are singing along.

And the sophisticates wonder, what the hell Ho’s go?

Most entertainers, to get a sing along going, issue pleas, talk out the lyrics, then bumble though false starts. No so, Ho. Walking without warning into his arena is like stumbling into some secret song society. Like at your first high school assembly, when everyone else knew the school song. So you sat there, pretending to move your mouth right.

You wondered, what the hell as Ho got?

Back on the mainland, it was fairly Ho-Hum. No so here. Around you, pink-checked co-eds from Colorado sit, mini-breasted and combed, singing along, waiting for romance before Pan Am snatches them back. And grey-cheeked sailers with a week of R&R leave sit, Adam’s Apples bobbing, in from Okinawa, holding the unfamiliar hands of their wives, and singing along. Islands converts from New Jersey, now up to their arm pits in commercial pineapple and the tourist trade, sit tan-cheeked, glowing with certain knowledge of a longer life, sing along. All non-swank. Five hundred folk, all with different hearts, coalesced.

You wonder, what the hell Ho’s got?

Ho’s up on stage, fighting off sleeping sickness. An easy-going baritone, apparently not too uptight over whether the skies tomorrow may bust open and rain down troubles, trials, and taxes. Making instant forget it all. A little snappy patter, but mostly songs that drawl along line a canoe adrift downstream. Working his audience, massaging its anxieties, half sex symbol, half Miltown.

Ho is the archetype of the Polynesian dream. The masculine counterpart to the native lasses H.M.S. Bounty dallied over in Tahiti. Ho: the Polynesian male. Letting the pursuit of pleasure pursue him. Shuffling across the sands, his nervous system tense as a plate of spaghetti. Seducing the sensibilities under Pacific night skies. Facing such traditional metaphysical stoppers as Death, Finitude, and Senility with a slow shrug and a satisfied sigh that add up to, “Ain’t no big thing.”

A unique attitude. An individual Man. The stuff of idols.

And that’s what Don Ho’s got.

— Stan Cornyn 1968.

Oh, and the recording came out great, but I didn't get rid of the resonance. ;)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

OMG, I'd forgotten all about Don Ho!  I first heard of him as a child, watching reruns of The Brady Bunch haha!  It was some episode with a "cursed" Tiki thingamajig and a tarantula or something!  :D

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子