Giuseppe Sammartini

Concerto grazioso:  6 Concerti Grossi Opus 5; 2 Concerti per flauto & oboe

Dominik Kiefer/Capriccio Barock Orchester

1092581046_CapriccioSammartinia.thumb.jpg.7453b2d09b502e4957b36532d9fb388f.jpg

898536506_CapriccioSammartinib.thumb.jpg.10f2d0ca21bc899c31f1c7bfe7b19ab1.jpg

CD arrived today!  Lovely music, not many recordings available of Giuseppe Sammartini's compositions.  He was a famed oboist in his time, and was engaged by Handel himself.  Sammartini's younger brother, Giuseppe, is perhaps better known nowadays, although I don't think I've ever heard either mentioned by anyone I've met haha!  Not that I've ever known many people who listen to anything other than pop/rock/rap.

Here it is on Qobuz if anyone is interested in this little-known composer:

https://open.qobuz.com/album/0812973011866

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

Emerson Lake & Palmer – 1971.

My copy of this is a needle drop of the Cotillion Records release(SD 9040). Dang, even after all these years,  and listening to the album near a 100 times or more, it is still one heck of a musical trip.

Keith Emerson and Greg Lake both died back in 2016, and for me, that leavens listening to this music with sadness. Still, Emerson’s jazz-infused keyboards, Lakes inspired bass lines, and of course, Carl Palmer’s drumming make it well worth listening to today.  

Even if one walks “With sadness on your shoulders, like a worn out overcoat…” That line having stuck with me all these years, takes on new meaning now.

Is this progressive rock? Jazz? Sixties pop? Poetry? Classical? You call it. The first song on the album, _Barbarian_ is _Allegro Barbaro_ by Bela Bartok, and was the first song the band put together. Other tracks on the album area also just full of familiar surprises. I find delight in their unique take on some of this.

The band formed in 1970, and legend has it, their first live appearance, leading off with _Barbarian_ was a small club outside of London, and for which they were paid about 400 pounds. That was on August 23, 1970.  Their *second* appearance, also with a lot of this music, was at the Isle of Wright, and had an audience of about 600,000 people. That was a whole six days after their first appearance. I don’t know anyone who was there, so take that with a grain of salt. But any man who was there would surely have been a Lucky Man! 

image.thumb.png.be2838ff125461b7801bfa11cf3825eb.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina

Missa Assumpta est Maria

The Tallis Scholars/Peter Phillips

My favorite mass by Palestrina, and a glorious recording!  This was my introduction to The Tallis Scholars, nearly 30 years ago.

1483998620_AssumptaestMariaa.jpg.437d3fdf0e2b36cf971b3666f4de567e.jpg

I'd share a streaming link, but Gimell Records hasn't allowed any streaming service to use their music.  I believe all of their CDs are still in print, however.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

13 hours ago, Paul R said:

Emerson Lake & Palmer – 1971.

My copy of this is a needle drop of the Cotillion Records release(SD 9040). Dang, even after all these years,  and listening to the album near a 100 times or more, it is still one heck of a musical trip.

Keith Emerson and Greg Lake both died back in 2016, and for me, that leavens listening to this music with sadness. Still, Emerson’s jazz-infused keyboards, Lakes inspired bass lines, and of course, Carl Palmer’s drumming make it well worth listening to today.  

Even if one walks “With sadness on your shoulders, like a worn out overcoat…” That line having stuck with me all these years, takes on new meaning now.

Is this progressive rock? Jazz? Sixties pop? Poetry? Classical? You call it. The first song on the album, _Barbarian_ is _Allegro Barbaro_ by Bela Bartok, and was the first song the band put together. Other tracks on the album area also just full of familiar surprises. I find delight in their unique take on some of this.

The band formed in 1970, and legend has it, their first live appearance, leading off with _Barbarian_ was a small club outside of London, and for which they were paid about 400 pounds. That was on August 23, 1970.  Their *second* appearance, also with a lot of this music, was at the Isle of Wright, and had an audience of about 600,000 people. That was a whole six days after their first appearance. I don’t know anyone who was there, so take that with a grain of salt. But any man who was there would surely have been a Lucky Man! 

The 2012 hires remaster is quite good if you are interested.There is also the Steve Wilson remix, which I don't like as much (and has slightly different tracks, as they couldn't find all the master tapes at the time).

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

Oh my - like Hugo9000, the Trevor Pinnock recording from the seventies has been my favorite. Since I bought it new. In the 70’s. 

But I had to make some room for this one. Wonderful playing, combined with one of the best recordings I have ever heard. I am off to buy this one. Thank you for posting it! 

-Paul

Glad you like it. It is true you don’t often get such an audiophile and musical pleasure combined. 

On 2/28/2019 at 5:26 PM, rando said:

Ah, the wonders of MP3 in the highest possible quality.  🤸‍♂️

artworks-000478841691-pqsevz-t500x500.jp

Need to offer a correction here.  Download location erroneously listed this as LNOE 45 when it was in fact LNOE 44.  The earlier release has nearly double the DR and much more enjoyable material.  

52 minutes ago, rando said:

Need to offer a correction here.  Download location erroneously listed this as LNOE 45 when it was in fact LNOE 44.  The earlier release has nearly double the DR and much more enjoyable material.  

Is this a Soundcloud only Sasha release, or do you know?  It does not appear to be on Tidal/Qobuz...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Nothing wrong with listening to the blues... Folder.jpg.95f9de1afd261e9f29d271e9d0e28dff.jpg

While you share a nice pint with a loved one...

IMG_0475.thumb.JPG.ab75b92e16d0daff01ba230c4a7395fb.JPG

Never tasted this one before, but this is a very nice nun...

IMG_0477.thumb.JPG.8cc101a95b256f5599bf362ec2592389.JPG

And this is what happens if you use three pair of cans... they behave like copulating cobra's..

Happy listening everybody!

If you haven't picked up the new release from Sound Liaison that dropped today, stop what you're doing and fix that ;)

This is a 1950's style recording, but with modern gear.  Incredible musicians, but an even more incredible "In the room" experience

witmer-trio-free.thumb.jpg.25ba3b206743ee38a30ee33af27197ac.jpg

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

If you don't know Finnish composer Einojuhani Rautavaara, you might want to take a bit of time to get acquainted

Be warned, his music is often times experimental, and that is true on the album below. But if nothing else, Esko Laine's solo is well worth the price of admission. 

Pellimannit means "fiddlers", and in this composition they take you on a wild ass ride. The composition is all about Finnish myths, and let me tell you, those Finns have some wierd myths. Be warned, I am not responsible if you can't sleep after listening to this, or you find yourself sleeping with the light on! 

This copy of BIS 73189590009109. Great stuff, but dang, I wish I had listened to it in the daylight! 

417748429_ScreenShot2019-03-02at10_34_28PM.thumb.png.73bc43eaf1ca86d9a55537c2497c095c.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein