IGNORED

Article: Easily My Album Of The Year

1 hour ago, JoshM said:

Chris,

This is so funny! I just came across this in Qobuz's new releases yesterday and was intrigued by the title. I played it on a whim and loved it as much as it seems you do. To say that I second this recommendation is an understatement!

Josh

I love it Josh!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks Chris. Just bought it.

Great voice. 

"Fix It" reminds me of Miles "Blue in Green". 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Great album. I'm on my second listen already. Melancholy and smoky jazz vocal. I love it! 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

2 hours ago, hopkins said:

Hope its ok to give a more "nuanced" appreciation of this album. Her singing is really not my cup of tea ! It sounds "strained", and everything is "over sung". This type of singing is unfortunately popular nowadays (see, for example,  Cecile McLorin Salvant). Every track is an opportunity for the singer to demonstrate her prowess, with completely unnecessary shifts in octaves from one note to the other, that really don't add anything and do not convey any real "emotion".

The Bandcamp notes state: "Reflecting influences as varied as Billie Holiday, Gladys Knight, Tina Turner and Chaka Khan...". Really ? The results are very very far from the performance of any of those singers.

Moreover, the music is not terribly exciting...

All this seems like a very well packaged product, but without much substance behind all the hype.

We can't all like the same things 😁

I have to wonder whether you are describing Lady Black Bird, and not Lady Blackbird? They are quite different performers and your description seems to fit the first, not the second.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think we need to keep in mind that music is art and one man’s musically poor is another man’s musical gem. There’s no right or wrong in music. 

Yes, absolutely ! But once in a while its fun (and I assume "ok") to give a dissenting point of view... Let's see what else Lady Blackbird does in the future.

17 minutes ago, hopkins said:

As for the lyrics, I find them very "banal" as well:

I'm lost and lookin' for my baby

Cry for my baby, cryin' all alone
Callin' for you, come home, come home

I remember Our first affair 
All the pain

Yawn. Count me out 😝

lol

Darn near all pop music is written on such feelings. It's not what you sing but how you sing it. The authenticity is what makes the music worthwhile. Del Shannon is a past master imo - but that's just mo.

You don't see verbatim Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Keats, Yates put to music very often!

12 minutes ago, Iving said:

lol

Darn near all pop music is written on such feelings. It's not what you sing but how you sing it. The authenticity is what makes the music worthwhile. Del Shannon is a past master imo - but that's just mo.

You don't see verbatim Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Keats, Yates put to music very often!

I hear you, and I'm actually a sucker for R&B (ashamed to admit some of the stuff that I like) - à genre not generally known for the quality of its lyrics... But this is not what I was expecting here. No problem, as I mentioned it's healthy to give other points of view. I think the parallel to "jazz" (and Billie Holiday) is what got me a little wounded up.