IGNORED

Article: Review | DenaFrips Pontus DAC

A review well worth waiting for George, thanks. So to summarize what you're saying is this is a DAC which assists the listener to make sense of the recording. I completely get that - I like the 'I can parse what the bass player's doing....' (paraphrased), of the Yamaha - 'you can hear it but you can't make out the individual notes'.

3 hours ago, matthias said:

@alvin1118

Hi Alvin,

according to Denafrips specs the Pontus and Venus have an Amanero USB interface

and

Ares and both Terminators have the proprietary USB solution via STM32F446.

Can you please shed some light on these differences.

Thank you

Matt

Yes, please!  What is the status of these various different USB interfaces, and are they completely compatible with the various sources one might want to use, like linux based Renderers for instance with high rate PCM and DSD material.  Additionally, I would like some details of whether or not these different USB interfaces are galvanically isolated and then properly re-clocked before the conversion stage.

One other question for @alvin1118 : is the output level with DSD the same as it is with PCM with all the Denafrips DACs (@4.4 V for the XLR outputs)?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, alvin1118 said:

DENAFRIPS DACs come with the latest proprietary USB (STM32F446 MCU) solution.

All inputs are FIFO buffered and reclock, jitter rejection is great (excellent). 

DSD output level is lower than PCM by -6dB.

Hi, Alvin1118

Just confirming that "all" Denafrips DACs have this USB input and reclocking? And specifically the Ares II as well?

I mainly use SPDIF anyway but am curious because I picked up a used Ares II from someone upgrading to Venus. Thanks.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

25 minutes ago, feelingears said:

Hi, Alvin1118

Just confirming that "all" Denafrips DACs have this USB input and reclocking? And specifically the Ares II as well?

I mainly use SPDIF anyway but am curious because I picked up a used Ares II from someone upgrading to Venus. Thanks.

Hi sir,

That's right. All DENAFRIPS DACs have the STM32 MCU USB solution implemented, as well as FIFO buffer and reclocking of all digital inputs. 

Happy listening!

Alvin

Alvin Chee, Vinshine Audio Pte. Ltd (Singapore)

Loyalty Program

A small gesture initiative to reward our Loyal Customers - Loyalty Program - Join Us Now!

Love the sound of how this DAC sounds.  

Ditched my two box, 8 Siemens 6922 pre amp more than a decade ago when I hooked up a Wadia 861i to my amp, since then been using Mytek DACs with variable outputs.  

Any chance of a Denafrips model with built in attenuator to catch up with folks who have gone 100% digital and have no need for switching an extra circuitry of a preamp?

Tone with Soul

2 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Love the sound of how this DAC sounds.  

Ditched my two box, 8 Siemens 6922 pre amp more than a decade ago when I hooked up a Wadia 861i to my amp, since then been using Mytek DACs with variable outputs.  

Any chance of a Denafrips model with built in attenuator to catch up with folks who have gone 100% digital and have no need for switching an extra circuitry of a preamp?

The attenuator feature has this satisfied Yggy owner (original version, all three upgrades) looking at Bricasti's DACs.

SSH

Mentioned in another post that I find it odd that Schitt guys, who kind of invented the DAC with a built in Pre, the Theta DSPre, which apparently was less popular that the Pre less version because back in the 1990s many folks messed with vinyl and like me had fancy-assed pre amps.  Enjoyed my Gen Va with ATT glass connecting to one of their transports, prior to the Wadia, which made me a direct to amp convert.

Tone with Soul

1 hour ago, ssh said:

The attenuator feature has this satisfied Yggy owner (original version, all three upgrades) looking at Bricasti's DACs.

The Denafrips DACs appear to have no output stage to drive the output, hence their slightly high output impedance (see specifications).  Considering that, and the somewhat low output level with DSD at half that of the PCM outputs, I do not see these DACs as good choices for driving amplifiers directly.  For driving amplifiers directly I like to see an output impedance around 100 ohms or less.

It appears Denafrips would need to add an active output stage and an analog attenuator to really do a good job at making them highly capable of driving amplifiers directly, this would add considerably to the price.

Additionally, this lack of an active output stage may have something to do with the lack of "drive" which some people seem to find in the sound of these DACs.  One might consider Holo Audio as an alternative, they use similar conversion technology, but with the addition of a fairly serious active output stage.

I am loving my Bricasti M3, using only its discrete converter stage (at DSD 256) and driving my amplifiers directly.  It has a quite good analog volume control as well, making it highly suitable for this approach.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Yes, I read that review as well, and I am sitting here listening to my Venus 2 and thinking....  wow, we must have radically different ears/brain/system, or something else.   All good though, there is no one DAC that will satisfy everyone.  But, that is not at all how the Denafrips DAC's I have owned sound like.  If they did, I would have quickly sold my first Denafrips DAC and never considered them again.  I love speed, fast transients, etc.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

4 minutes ago, Blake said:

Yes, I read that review as well, and I am sitting here listening to my Venus 2 and thinking....  wow, we must have radically different ears/brain/system, or something else.   All good though, there is no one DAC that will satisfy everyone.  But, that is not at all how the Denafrips DAC's I have owned sound like.  If they did, I would have quickly sold my first Denafrips DAC and never considered them again.  I love speed, fast transients, etc.

Blake,

did you compare Venus2 and Terminator Plus both in your "Home" system?

If yes, what are the differences?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

3 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Sorry my friend, I don’t hear that at all. No need to be condescending.

While I more or less agree with the content, it is indeed a condescending response.

The bold 'from memory' statement about a comparison with the Vivaldi and MSB DAC also makes that I cannot take this review and it's conclusions very serious. Too bad and not at all necessary to convey enthusiasm.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

3 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Sorry my friend, I don’t hear that at all. No need to be condescending.

LOL....people can be so fragile these days.

McIntosh MC601s - C50 | Harbeth M40.3 XD | Holo May KTE  | SOtM sMS-200 Neo - sPS-500 | PS Audio P20 PowerPlant | SVS SB13-Ultra subs

42 minutes ago, matthias said:

Blake,

did you compare Venus2 and Terminator Plus both in your "Home" system?

If yes, what are the differences?

Thanks

Matt

Hey Matt,

Venus 2 arrived two weeks ago and it is residing in my new "work from home" home office, which includes a super nice audio rack ($35 from Amazon).  I haven't had a chance to compare yet.

A-1.thumb.jpg.c8383ea2c9798b2f87dcd9efcd8b938b.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Which album were you referring to in this review. Thank you.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)