IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

1 hour ago, Darryl R said:

I'd like to ask someone to very briefly explain why they think non-regulated DC will work in the DIY server (apart from budget or whether they like it better or not).

The classic LPS uses an unregulated LPS plus a regulator stage.

The Nenon/Taiko PS uses an unregulated LPS plus the Taiko DC-DC ATX.

>>>The regulator stage has a similar effect as the DC-DC SMPS converter.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

3 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Bold statement!

Why bold? I would say it is common wisdom gathered in threads like this and the Source First principle.

The Server is more upstream to the DAC.

Matt

I don't know,  when you read reviews the emphasis is usually on the DAC often the reviewer is using a lap top or average commercial streamer. On other forums other than here,  DACs draw more attention than streamers, just my take on it. The exception being the extreme!

2 minutes ago, dctom said:

I don't know,  when you read reviews the emphasis is usually on the DAC often the reviewer is using a lap top or average commercial streamer. On other forums other than here,  DACs draw more attention than streamers, just my take on it. The exception being the extreme!

Agree, DACs draw often more attention but that does not mean that they are more important.

Matt

58 minutes ago, matthias said:

The classic LPS uses an unregulated LPS plus a regulator stage.

The Nenon/Taiko PS uses an unregulated LPS plus the Taiko DC-DC ATX.

>>>The regulator stage has a similar effect as the DC-DC SMPS converter.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Right, but I was looking for an explanation of how this is so.  Clearly until now we've supplied DC-ATX adapters with regulated, even double-regulated DC.  I suppose part of the purpose of this drill is to experiment and find out.

8 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Right, but I was looking for an explanation of why the voltage regulation is not needed with the Taiko DC-ATX.

You can feed the Taiko DC-DC ATX as input within a big voltage range so you need no regulation for the LPS.

The ultra high switching frequency of the Taiko in the MHz range does not need further regulation.

Matt

1 hour ago, dctom said:

Some theorize because the server is more upstream it is the more important.  I think Nenon's answer is good here, particularly because I daresay nobody has evaluated everything.  In my system, the role of the server is more subtle, but the DAC was quite expensive.  Emile might say the server is more important (in fact he did to me at one point), and Jonathan at MSB might say they've isolated the interface such that server quality shouldn't matter -- "all you need is a MacBook or a NUC."  In the end, both matter, it's just a matter of degree, and for most of us budgetary considerations kick in.

9 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Some theorize because the server is more upstream it is the more important.  I think Nenon's answer is good here, particularly because I daresay nobody has evaluated everything.  In my system, the role of the server is more subtle, but the DAC was quite expensive.  Emile might say the server is more important (in fact he did to me at one point), and Jonathan at MSB might say they've isolated the interface such that server quality shouldn't matter -- "all you need is a MacBook or a NUC."  In the end, both matter, it's just a matter of degree, and for most of us budgetary considerations kick in.

Agree. You can't buy an Extreme for a $500 DAC and expect a stellar performance. Similarly, an excellent DAC might perform even better with an excellent source or may not depending on the design of the DAC. Its very use case specific with no clear answer to which is more important.

16 minutes ago, Dev said:

Agree. You can't buy an Extreme for a $500 DAC and expect a stellar performance. Similarly, an excellent DAC might perform even better with an excellent source or may not depending on the design of the DAC. Its very use case specific with no clear answer to which is more important.

I couldn't keep my Extreme due to pandemic exigency, and had to rollback to an i9/Z490/HDPlex server.  Not a bad server at all, powered by the HDP DCATX and a cheap AC-DC converter, and I could live with it.  I upgraded the internal wiring with Ghent's best, and was just about to upgrade the power when Nenon announced this project.  But I frequently wonder about the psychology of discontentment.  On the other hand, there is legitimate desire for technological advance.

in my experience most/many DAC's outperform their front end for quite a while, there is of course a connection between what 'level' you want both to be at for all components of the chain...I've heard GREAT if not the best music through stellar speakers coming from a laptop playing youtube footage through a lowly T-Amp (class D amp, here with a tweaked PSU), same setup with a POC tube amp was WAY better, magic happening... Speakers matter a lot, quite a LOT!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

22 minutes ago, Dev said:

Take a hypothetical example, if you have $40k for your digital rig, would you spend $30k for the Extreme and $10k for the DAC or vice-versa ?

Try both configurations and report back, I bet which will win.😀

Matt