IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

1 minute ago, NewOldman said:

sent from where?

Netherlands I assume, given that Taiko is a Dutch company. So do check if you need to add VAT/BTW, it's 21% in the Netherlands.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

In the WBF thread Emile mentioned he had quite a bit of interest for the DC-DC converter and would respond by sending a pre order form, but let's wait for Nenon to clarify. The form itself IMO is a too bit too brief..

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

9 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

I don't have the plus version. And I'm just noticing that this card doesn't support OnLoad at all. One less reason to switch to Linux. 😄

Here is an overview: 8000 Series 10/40GbE Network Adapters

I am confused when searching for the 8552 cause the PIC you uploaded with big heatsinks, is not the one that appears as the non Plus 8552, this is:

image.thumb.png.813b929b1a88b42d1ef0d8bf2861344c.png

@Nenon I very much apologize for disturbing your thread with my Solaflare Card reports. Questions about this are perhaps better off in my thread.

I suggest we all focus now on the great DIY Taiko Audio products.

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

Dimensions are approximately 170 mm x 78 mm. 

Here are the HDPLEX dimensions for comparison.

HDPLEX.400W.DC-ATX.Dimension.png

looking at the dissipation of the card on the specs I found  is 7 - 10 Watts, surely that can do without a large heatsink.

3 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

It’s only asking for initial interest. You’re not buying anything. Just saying yes I want to know more. Sign up & I’m sure you’ll get briefed in due course

I did, I'm not scared off that easily ;-)  it's just that I think other may be scared off making it more unlikely the piece materialises!

29 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

@Nenon I very much apologize for disturbing your thread with my Solaflare Card reports. Questions about this are perhaps better off in my thread.

That's fine. You can discuss here if you want to. I like the Solarflare NICs but haven't used them for audio yet. I will be waiting for the big Taiko chassis before I try them. They can get hot! My HDplex case is pretty hot inside already. I did not want to another heating element inside. The massive Taiko chassis would enable me to do experiment a lot more.

I think they are definitely worth a try. As 25/50/100/400G is getting more commonly used, the older versions of SolarFlare would be available pretty cheap used on the used market. 

OpenOnload is also very interesting. I suggested that some time ago and even discussed with Željko, the Euphony developer. He had OpenOnload compiled and ready for testing. I posted about this a while back. If anyone wants to test that, get in touch with Željko / Euphony. I will be quite interested to hear reports about SolarFlare/OpenOnload. I feel like this has some good potential.

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

57 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

I don't have the plus version. And I'm just noticing that this card doesn't support OnLoad at all. One less reason to switch to Linux. 😄

Here is an overview: 8000 Series 10/40GbE Network Adapters

https://www.xilinx.com/publications/product-briefs/SFN8522-product-brief.pdf 

"Capabilities such
as ultra-low latency, Onload® kernel bypass, class-leading clock synchronization accuracy providing MIFID II readiness,
ServerLock® NIC-based firewall, SolarCapture® and more, can be enabled to run on any SFN8500 adapter on the network,
making this the one Ethernet adapter to deploy across your data center or cloud infrastructure."

OnLoad is available to all 8500 series it seems, looks like website's wrong.  It's not a hardware feature per say, its a software feature designed to work with Solarflare cards.

Looks like you might have to dust off a USB memory stick and give Linux a try someday @StreamFidelity 🤣

57 minutes ago, Nenon said:

No, not me. I have no financial affiliation with Taiko. I am just a happy volunteer and a DIY enthusiast in this project. 

The Taiko ATX would be sold directly from Taiko - Netherlands.

That's correct.

There is a batch on the way to Taiko, due to arrive in March. The list is filling up quickly, Emile told me. I am guessing the first batch would sold out before it arrives. 

@NenonHave you  personally tested the Taiko Audio DC-DC ATX yet? If you have which LPS did you feed it from?

30 minutes ago, Exocer said:

@Nenon, when you say peak power consumption of your dual Xeon build hovered around 200-300W, this would be from the 12v rail I would assume. How long were those transient peaks?

No, that's on the AC end. Last I checked the 12V EPS rail, it was constant ~7A. That of course depends on the OS, load, how you are using the computer, etc.

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

59 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I am guessing there will be some demand for an external unregulated power supply to feed the Taiko ATX (from people who are not comfortable building their own). Taiko will not get into the power supply business, but I am looking at a few options here as well.

Good.  I think it's smart to make any and all components as independent and reusable as possible.