IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

3 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

From what I can see of the pictures of the Insides of Extreme pulished, its already using buck converters and not linear regulators and I'm assuming this DC - ATX is based on that system.

High powered linear regulators need high heat dissipation and there do not appear to be any regulators fitted onto the heatsinks. placing them below would mean they heat up the base and the rest of the components above. Well I'm just guessing I would be interested to know.

We could never see what was underneath the the big capacitor bank where probably the atx regulation is located. My guess now would be their is indeed switching regulations underneath. The rest of the power supply of the extreme is transformer, rectifier, choke, capacitor bank, atx regulators.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

3 minutes ago, matthias said:

Emile mentioned on WBF that the switching frequency is too low.

Matt

Ah, okey.

Under development:

13 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

From what I can see of the pictures of the Insides of Extreme published, it's already using buck converters and not linear regulators and I'm assuming this DC - ATX is based on that system?

High powered linear regulators need high heat dissipation and there do not appear to be any regulators fitted onto the heatsinks. placing them below would mean they heat up the base and the rest of the components above. Well I'm just guessing I would be interested to know.

I'm currently using a C-L-C Filter with HDplex 800 DC-ATX. An 'Audiopile' DC - ATX would be perfect.

MULTI-RAIL ULTRA LINEAR POWER SUPPLY

Our 400W linear power supply is a new inhouse development, especially created for the Extreme and its special needs. (from Taiko HP)

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

50 minutes ago, RickyV said:

The rest of the power supply of the extreme is transformer, rectifier, choke, capacitor bank, atx regulators.

Hi Ricky, I think it's a C-L-C filter, transformer- rectifier bridge, capacitor, choke, capacitor, regulators.

There appears to be a large mundorf capacitor and bypass capacitor connected to the bridge before the choke, the choke migt be a dual choke, ie connected both to positive and 0V, well I suppose the aim is not to mimick the Extreme, but that's what I would suggest.

18 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Hi Ricky, I think it's a C-L-C filter, transformer- rectifier bridge, capacitor, choke, capacitor, regulators.

There appears to be a large mundorf capacitor and bypass capacitor connected to the bridge before the choke, the choke migt be a dual choke, ie connected both to positive and 0V, well I suppose the aim is not to mimick the Extreme, but that's what I would suggest.

oh yes you are right, I forgot the first C. 
Mmmm I don’t know, mimicking could be useful but you still need to listen, voicing like Nenon is doing.

Under development:

On 1/9/2021 at 11:23 AM, AME said:

Hello Nenon,

Thanks!

It was a lot of handwork, but I quess a lot can also be done with an computer controlled milling machine.

I will drop an email to Larry from HDPlex to see if he is interested.

I will definitely wait with the power supply decision.

A picture of the Farad ATX PSU next to 400W HDPlex PSU

image.png.288067f6fe20a22e39985b0d8b4fd96f.png

I'd asked Mattijs about this a few times.  He said he'd been too busy with Super3 sales to finalize his design, so thanks for posting it.  However I was most curious about Pachanko's new lines, which look beautifully made, but I've only seen one customer post on them (and it was very good).

Nenon announced this project just in time to lay on the brakes and wait.

11 hours ago, Nenon said:

I personally don't feel like putting an AC SMPS in front of the Taiko ATX would be a step in the right direction. I think we get the best of both worlds the way this is.

The more I think about it the more I agree, it really seems to be the best of both worlds.

Matt

11 hours ago, RickyV said:

Ah, okey.

I thought about using a Hypex SMPS to feed a HDPLEX DC-DC converter, however there is also an additional hitch in that these SMPS are untested in this application and are only used to power amplifiers which obviously only have high transient power peaks.  Providing a continuous 60w+ from a Hypex SMPS might cause it to fail pretty quickly.

@Exocer, what you posted was pretty much what I have/had in mind, the more steady the current draw is the better 'regulation' you'll see using an unregulated PSU design. It is doable to get rid of ripple current the diagram shows by using good enough filtering (CLC for example) a regulated PSU does not do much for ripple filtering anyhow.

Not using upsampling and FIR etc in my system the load might be steady enough for the CPU as smaller power peaks can easily be handled by fast enough capacitors of which enough are needed anyway to keep the PSU hum down due to the high-ish current (not so sure about the rest of the board). 

All developments sound interesting yet committing to any which one without even seeing a more detailed description or specs (I'm not a great believer in specs) I'll wait a bit for now.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

56 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

@Exocer, what you posted was pretty much what I have/had in mind, the more steady the current draw is the better 'regulation' you'll see using an unregulated PSU design. It is doable to get rid of ripple current the diagram shows by using good enough filtering (CLC for example) a regulated PSU does not do much for ripple filtering anyhow.

Not using upsampling and FIR etc in my system the load might be steady enough for the CPU as smaller power peaks can easily be handled by fast enough capacitors of which enough are needed anyway to keep the PSU hum down due to the high-ish current (not so sure about the rest of the board). 

All developments sound interesting yet committing to any which one without even seeing a more detailed description or specs (I'm not a great believer in specs) I'll wait a bit for now.

unregulated is only possible with this Taiko DC-atx module. Why?, because this module is designed for that. If you would try to feed an hdplex dc-atx module unregulated dc it will fail.

Under development:

Very excited about the unregulated approach. When funds allow, I will likely end up building the unregulated supply to feed the Taiko DC-DC converter. It will be interesting to compare SQ with the PHSR7T vs the unregulated supply. The SR7T is no slouch, but, I would guess the unregulated supply would provide a "less restricted" means of keeping up with sudden power demands. Plus, we will get @Nenon's voicing if we follow the exact recipe. Very interested in how that would translate to my system...

On 1/8/2021 at 1:00 AM, Ianderson said:

In the grand scream of things a higher priced case of a) better quality b) more room is universally advantageous. If one is shooting for great SQ, the price is secondary. Besides, the case is chump change compared to the rest of the BoM. (particularly the LPS’s)

As an aside I heard a rumour that Innuos was going to release a audio grade Network Switch for around $3k. Not sure how valid that might be.

I have heard they are looking at their ethernet boards, yes. Waiting to see what they have planned. Ethernet version of the Phoenix or an update to the Zenith etc.

does anyone have a link to CPU desig specs? They must exist, f.e. for MB designers, so far I haven't found any.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

BTW; a (what I consider a solid with good information for folks new to PSU designs) response from Emile (Taiko) on a question around PSU over at WBF on page 276 and 277 somehow I cannot paste the link: page-276

19 hours ago, Nenon said:

The last comment I want to make is that no matter how advanced the SMPS technology becomes, to me a well designed LPS is still the best option for powering low current devices. I do power my USB card on my server with a Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS and that makes a hell of difference. I find it best to use the right technology where it matters. For a dual CPU server that can easily draw 300W, this SMPS technology makes sense and works great. But for low current applications, nothing can beat a good old linear power supply. That's my 2 cents. I imagine that we can draw a line somewhere and say for everything under this line LPS is the way to go; for everything over that line SMPS is the way to go. I can easily see powerful amplifiers going over this line. Sorry about the generalizing paragraph :). 

Nenon,

I think it is really interesting that Emile in his "white paper" post on WBF mentioned that even in the range from 500mA up (which is typical for an USB card) DC-DC SMPS can have advantages in comparison to LPS.

Matt

19 hours ago, Nenon said:

The last comment I want to make is that no matter how advanced the SMPS technology becomes, to me a well designed LPS is still the best option for powering low current devices. I do power my USB card on my server with a Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS and that makes a hell of difference.

To be honest what very high quality SMPS options do we have at low voltages?  The likes of Benchmark Audio have been using SilentSwitchers to achieve this with SMPS, but they're often not implemented in any high (1a+) current form nor do they get much attention on the whole.

So yes certainly for now LPS is the way to go.

14 minutes ago, matthias said:

Nenon,

I think it is really interesting that Emile in his "white paper" post on WBF mentioned that even in the range from 500mA up (which is typical for an USB card) DC-DC SMPS can have benefits in comparison to LPS.

Matt

If I have to draw a line, it would be like this:

3A or less - Well designed LPS rules. 1A or less has huge advantages here. 

3A to 5A - Depends on the design of the power supply.

More than 5A constant draw - Well designed SMPS rules. 

An AMD 7 3700x running Euphony is closer to the 3A limit. Maybe even less. But when I built LPS for that CPU I had it overprovisioned to be capable of 20A-40A.  That helped. 

The dual Xeon Cpus are more like 7A. You can see why I am going with the Taiko ATX for the dual Xeon. But also, as I previously said, it's a drop in replacement for the Hdplex and sounds much better. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

10 minutes ago, Nenon said:

If I have to draw a line, it would be like this:

3A or less - Well designed LPS rules. 1A or less has huge advantages here. 

3A to 5A - Depends on the design of the power supply.

More than 5A constant draw - Well designed SMPS rules. 

An AMD 7 3700x running Euphony is closer to the 3A limit. Maybe even less.

The dual Xeon Cpus are more like 7A. You can see why I am going with the Taiko ATX for the dual Xeon. 

I agree, this is the status of the current tech, maybe Emile is one step further with his DC-DC

SMPS.

But to have an unregulated LPS which outputs to an DC-DC SMPS is brilliant.

Matt