IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

11 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Dual Xeon 4114 will only boot with RDIMM like D51.23244S.001 as shown below, please be cautious and DO NOT get the regular UDIMM

I think the latencies are quite high.

Apacer [email protected] MHz RAM

1,000 / 2,666 * 19 = 14.25 nanoseconds

It can be done better, for example [email protected] MHz RAM

1,000 / 2,400 * 10 = 8.33 nanoseconds (0.00000833 ms)

The 2.400 MHz is not very high, but in combination with the CL value, the latencies are very low.

So I have a 4114 source already. Do i need to stick to another 4114 or can i also pick up a 4210. Looks to be almost the same chip and there are plenty of Intel chips around where the difference in the model number is more about binning than a change in CPU.

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

Apperently there is something else besides latency that influences SQ.

It might be the Ram refresh rate, tRF-c, the slower the refresh / longer the cycle, the better the sound. You can adjust this in some bios, but I couldn't find a setting in Sage bios.

It also could be different things, why does Optane sound better than a regular SSD?, is it the material used or the implementation or the latency, frequency? Same question would IMO probably apply for RAM.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

25 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

why does Optane sound better than a regular SSD?

It could also be due to the latencies. See image.

1d4c-gap-5web.jpg

Source: PC Perspective INTEL’S OPTANE DC PERSISTENT MEMORY DIMMS PUSH LATENCY CLOSER TO DRAM

I consider the lowest possible latency to be one of the keys to audio PCs.

Latencies can also be set in the software. With ASIO drivers (USB), Taiko Audio experimented with the buffer settings to my knowledge.

If you are interested, I wrote something about latencies (click on translate): Audio PC latencies

thanks, I can read German! I did read up on computer latency, my take home message is that is likely is important but not THE key driver for many processes. I'll read your article!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

sounds like a plan, yet hard to pull off as the effects are subjective....

My experience is that the corsair vengeance LPX (not the 5000 but an older 3200 version) I replaced with the Apacer 'unobtanium' sounded 'dirtier' It helped using them with the precooked LPX settings but the Apacer outperformed them sonically.

On 1/20/2021 at 1:53 PM, MarcelNL said:

thanks, I can read German! I did read up on computer latency, my take home message is that is likely is important but not THE key driver for many processes. I'll read your article!

It is interesting in a forum to share solutions in solidarity.
Until now I used an "old" Lenovo Tiny nuc that gives its maximum.
I took advantage of a sale to switch to a recent motherboard and an H3 chassis under Win10 LTSC (which I know well).
While I thought I would get a better result in terms of latency from the start.
No cuts or dropouts even in DSD256 / EC with HQP for an i5-8400.
But the latency remains high and once the drivers are up to date... what are the options / solutions ?? the Bios ??

With help / www.DeepL.com/Translator

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

2 hours ago, Zauurx said:

But the latency remains high and once the drivers are up to date...

Is it the result of LatencyMon? Which most disruptive process does the application indicate?

15 hours ago, Zauurx said:

The report is attached

The Ntoskrnl.exe takes on numerous tasks that are difficult to understand. The process has, among other things, an impact on hardware virtualization, as well as on memory and process management.

I suspect the culprit is more likely to be storport.sys.

MS wrote: storport.sys is your chipset device driver, check the support page for your device on the manufacturers website to see if there is an updated chipset driver

It helps to deactivate unneeded devices in the BIOS. I have deactivated WLAN, Bluetooth and Audio. And of course a BIOS update always has to be made. That solves a lot of problems.

6 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

The Ntoskrnl.exe takes on numerous tasks that are difficult to understand. The process has, among other things, an impact on hardware virtualization, as well as on memory and process management.

I suspect the culprit is more likely to be storport.sys.

MS wrote: storport.sys is your chipset device driver, check the support page for your device on the manufacturers website to see if there is an updated chipset driver

It helps to deactivate unneeded devices in the BIOS. I have deactivated WLAN, Bluetooth and Audio. And of course a BIOS update always has to be made. That solves a lot of problems.

Thanks for taking the time to read and find a solution.
I did a fresh install. It was a little better at the start but as the optimizations go on, it deteriorates.
The bios is badly done and for example it is not possible to cut the BT ... which I do with the device manager under Win.
I suspect the M2 SSD, which is 2 years old, is not at its best. A new generation NVME costs only 55 €... for a Crucial P5
I continue .. but the sound is already very good and without interruption.
I am in the search of the maxi .. the normal should already be enough.

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

I would love to hear it, but I suspect 8fs input may be the achilles heel of this DAC.  That puts a fundamental limiting on transient timing accuracy, unless they have a MASSIVE amount of compute to push to higher rates with idealized filters.

The power, construction and clock all look first rate.  I'm skeptical about the synthetic feedback scheme and what that does for noise shaping, but they may inject it prior to noise shaping?

Lots to learn!

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1 hour ago, Csaba said:

If "Apacer D31.23245S.001" RAM is unobtainable, which brand/model would be a proper alternative (motherboard is Asus Rog Strix Z390-i)?

Apacer 75.B93GZ.G000B is an option.  It is not wide temperature like D31 but it should work.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I have a question about player software.

Different people are working on software to replace Roon because they don’t like the sound, but they like the interface.

Why are they bothering to try to replace the interface? Why can’t they just use Roon to curate the music? Just use Roon to point to the file location and that’s it. Then, whichever player you like processes the file.

In the same way that Roon & Euphony hand the file over to HQplayer, why can’t it just hand the file over to Stylus or TAS.

One of the downsides of Roon is the incessant jabbering it does with the mothership.
The way I address that is I have Roon running on my NAS which has enough computing power for Roon to function. But, you could use any small computer. 

these software already communicate with each other. We would just have to get the manufacturers to do the programming to allow that function. 

also, everything is communicating over ethernet.