IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

1 hour ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Did you externally power your NET Femto card too?

Yes, with the JCAT Optimo 3 Duo. An absolutely excellent LPS. And yet, powered by the motherboard, the Solarflare 8522 card is so much better.

42 minutes ago, Zauurx said:

LantecyMon gives the overall latency, not that of the network and your card ?

That's right. But I think the Solarflare 8522 card have their part in that. The latency is reportedly in the very low range of less than 1μsec.

1 minute ago, StreamFidelity said:

Yes, with the JCAT Optimo 3 Duo. An absolutely excellent LPS. And yet, powered by the motherboard, the Solarflare 8522 card is so much better.

I have pondered whether its worth buying another one of these Solarflare cards and seeing if we can externally feed it DC, given how good it is from just motherboard power alone.

I also toyed with the idea of installing an SFP based network card, but I'm dreading the fight with Linux...it would make one conversion and one switch redundant so it should be better...I'll order one

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 hour ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I would also try the "max throughput" option as that invokes a certain amount of in-memory caching/batching.

I think that runs contrary to low latencies. The manual says:

There are three metrics that should be considered when tuning an adapter:
• Throughput
• Latency
• CPU utilization
Transactional (request-response) network applications can be very sensitive to latency whereas bulk data transfer applications are more dependent on throughput.
Turning off interrupt moderation wants:
- generate the most interrupts
- give the highest CPU utilization
- give the lowest latency
- give the biggest reduction in peak throughput.

Just now, StreamFidelity said:

I think that runs contrary to low latencies. The manual says:

There are three metrics that should be considered when tuning an adapter:
• Throughput
• Latency
• CPU utilization
Transactional (request-response) network applications can be very sensitive to latency whereas bulk data transfer applications are more dependent on throughput.
Turning off interrupt moderation wants:
- generate the most interrupts
- give the highest CPU utilization
- give the lowest latency
- give the biggest reduction in peak throughput.

Yes, however in doing so it will have a different processing behaviour to the latency profile so worth a try.  In my case it'll only take a few mins to switch over.  

5 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I also toyed with the idea of installing an SFP based network card, but I'm dreading the fight with Linux...

Linux scared me off too. I don't know about it. if I then read through the numerous Linux installation problems with the HQPlayer, I don't feel like doing it. Solarflare provides the appropriate Windows drivers. Except for OnLoad, everything can be used.

Linux scared me off too. I don't know about it. if I then read through the numerous Linux installation problems with the HQPlayer, I don't feel like doing it. Solarflare provides the appropriate Windows drivers. Except for OnLoad, everything can be used.

10 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I also toyed with the idea of installing an SFP based network card, but I'm dreading the fight with Linux...

For the Solarflare cards, recent kernels already have a (slim, non-onload) network driver installed ready to go.  

FWIW I find HQPlayer embedded to be absolutely rock solid under Linux, dont have to tweak it for weeks at a time, but yes can understand there's a bit of a learning curve.

1 minute ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

For the Solarflare cards, recent kernels already have a (slim, non-onload) network driver installed ready to go.  

FWIW I find HQPlayer embedded to be absolutely rock solid under Linux, dont have to tweak it for weeks at a time, but yes can understand there's a bit of a learning curve.

I'm using Daphile, for the very reason I don't have to tweak a lot....but I will order one and try!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

what is the anticpated delivery date?

1 minute ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Is the Taiko DC-DC ATX also a drop in for the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX?

The short answer is yes, but I think the mounting holes between the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX and the HDPlex 400W DC-ATX (as well as the Taiko DC-DC ATX) are different. And the Taiko ATX does not have two inputs - you don't need two inputs with it, but I am pointing out the main differences. 

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

That's right. But I think the Solarflare 8522 card have their part in that. The latency is reportedly in the very low range of less than 1μsec.

Is it the 8522 or the 8522 PLUS ?

The photo im getting from 8522 is this one:

image.thumb.png.646b5c064987e7291a46df2e29998ed3.png

10 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

Is it the 8522 or the 8522 PLUS ?

The photo im getting from 8522 is this one:

image.thumb.png.646b5c064987e7291a46df2e29998ed3.png

good catch, on the brink of ordering...I read it as the 8552 is compatible with SFP+ which should mean it is compatible with the 1Gbit SFPs I have in transit.

I will likely need to find a space on my MB which only has 3 PCIe slots of which one is 1X one is 8x and one 16x....probably need to find a cheap 1x PCIe video card as the system works headless anyhow.

26 minutes ago, Nenon said:

IIRC the plus version includes PTP license. We don't need that. 

If I understand correctly what that does I can always start trading when the card comes with a licence :-)

29 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I think myself and @StreamFidelity use the non-plus version.

I don't have the plus version. And I'm just noticing that this card doesn't support OnLoad at all. One less reason to switch to Linux. 😄

Here is an overview: 8000 Series 10/40GbE Network Adapters