IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

3 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Cool! Yes, I had a similar experience and removed my preamp from the chain - I found the sound clearer and more satisfying with my Oppo feeding my power amp directly.

Speaking of which, I've just (mostly) sorted out basic room treatments and speaker placement in my new listening room in my new house, and now that I've done that, I am thinking about a power amp upgrade. I have an Adcom GFA-5400 which I like a lot, but given its specs and its age I am fairly confident I could improve upon it by getting a newer amp since there are now several somewhat reasonably priced options whose performance measurements are sufficiently better that they could result in an audible improvement.

If I had $3,000-$4,000 laying around, the upgrade decision would be easy. I'd get a Bryston 2.5B3 or a Benchmark AHB2 and be done with it. But I'd feel a lot more comfortable spending 1/3 to 1/2 that amount, so the search, while encouraging, continues. In the meantime, I feel fortunate that while I know I could improve the sound, I find the current sound fully satisfying. So I'm in no rush.

Well... knowing you well from ASR forums posting, I believe your Amp choice is a no brainer! The Benchmark AHB2. 😉. And since you are satisfied with current sound, you can simply wait and save the money for your primary choice. By then, maybe there is a new and improved AHB

13 minutes ago, thyname said:

+100! Wow! I had to double check multiple times who wrote this. I could not believe it.

Well, don't get too excited 😉 As I have said all along, the problem is not the occasional individual lapses of objectivists into "radical objectivism", the problem is the stubborn status quo of radical subjectivism of the culture.  Most "audiophiles" really do believe that impressionism applies to digital communication, cables, grounding boxes, etc.  and all the rest of The Big Crazy that most of "the industry" leverages and the subjectivist consumer likes because it goes along with their feel good consumerism.  Until there is a serious understanding and discussion of all that, the sensible right and wrong use of measurements is almost impossible to have.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

17 hours ago, Middy said:

In life 90% of the time I try and give an answer in the most holistic, rounded way i can think of, drawing on my  experiences, limited knowledge and hypotheticals with the most positive outcome.

90% of the time people don't want advice.. Just reassurance of what they have already decided 3 days ago....

For me knowing this takes away the frustration as a normal act of human nature.  I have a collection of items unused, making me just as blind to my initial desires.

A thousand warnings about a kick in the nuts... The real lesson is learned after the fact.... What the fancy term? 'Operant  conditioning' ? 

Lot's in this sort of post around the nature of consumerism.

The "unused items...making me blind to my initial desires" is thoughtful.  I would say that they are just reminders of desire, but desire being what it is means that it can't be remembered.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

10 minutes ago, crenca said:

Lot's in this sort of post around the nature of consumerism.

The "unused items...making me blind to my initial desires" is thoughtful.  I would say that they are just reminders of desire, but desire being what it is means that it can't be remembered.

I detect an understanding of Buddhist philosophy 🧐🙏

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

13 hours ago, tmtomh said:

For something like a similarly priced DAC from, say, PS Audio, I would steer clear because I've seen at least one multi-thousand-dollar PS Audio DAC that measures horribly considering its price and what such a unit could be capable of - measures sufficiently bad that its deviations from high fidelity could be audible.

Curious about this statement. Is this true of current DACs or one sample and from what year? Your posts carry some authority which I  appreciate, plus I’m a happy owner of a PS audio DAC. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

3 hours ago, thyname said:

Well... knowing you well from ASR forums posting, I believe your Amp choice is a no brainer! The Benchmark AHB2. 😉. And since you are satisfied with current sound, you can simply wait and save the money for your primary choice. By then, maybe there is a new and improved AHB

Hopefully an improved one that allows the AHB2 to then be acquired at a discount! 😀

I don't know, though - I value durability too, and that Bryston 20-year warranty is quite something...

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'd say this began soon after the first phonograph was invented for home use. There just wasn't an online forum for people to complain back then.

But ridicule of audiophools dates back to the 1950s at least.  So they were making absurd claims and complaining somehow 

22 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

RE op amps, I'd be curious to hear from @mansr and other members with significant engineering knowledge about the question of whether or not the main existing measurements can reasonably be considered to capture the performance of op amps vs a discrete stage. My understanding (which could be mistaken) is that they do.

At the voltages and currents involved here, there is nothing one can do with discrete components that can't be done better as an IC.

23 minutes ago, mansr said:

At the voltages and currents involved here, there is nothing one can do with discrete components that can't be done better as an IC.

More information would be interesting and helpful. What voltage and current levels would be reasonable cutoffs? And why better as opposed to equally as well?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

More information would be interesting and helpful. What voltage and current levels would be reasonable cutoffs? And why better as opposed to equally as well?

An IC can be designed to tighter tolerances than a discrete-component stage (that much I know; others can elaborate beyond my level of understanding).

13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

a custom designed IC, or is an off the shelf IC adequate?  (e.g. layout, crosstalk, etc. etc.)

We're talking about low-level audio amplifiers. Nothing exotic here, and many ready-made parts are available with excellent performance figures. For example, take a look at the OPA1611 data sheet. It describes a circuit that amplifies the distortion to make it measurable. Even if the official figures are inflated, matching its performance with a discrete circuit would take considerable effort. Why not leave that to the experts who designed the chip? They're probably better at it than you are.

10 minutes ago, mansr said:

It's hard to pick a particular number. One factor is thermal management. I guess you've seen power amp output transistors bolted to a heatsink. Not only is it easier to get rid of heat from a discrete component, keeping that heat away from other components is also a good thing. Another aspect is component size. At high currents (hundreds of amps), a diode might need to be an inch in diameter. No sense in trying to integrate that.

Thanks - the part I've bolded answers the question I've always had about why op amps are so much better suited for headphone amps than power amplifiers. 

Would it be accurate (or at least substantially accurate) to say that this principle also is why, with traditional Class A/AB amps, more powerful amps need more transistor banks/output stages - and therefore when a company makes multiple power-rated amps in the same model line, people sometimes note that the less powerful models, with fewer output stages, measure and sound cleaner?

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

But this also rises the issue of a lack of skills, interest, time, etc... on the part of the person making the argument. He may have no clue what to even propose. I'd say this is 99.9999% of people making the claim (including myself).

I certainly hear what you're saying, but the burden shift is never going to lead anywhere. 

‘Agreed! Not everyone is an engineer. An engineer specializing in audio that is. Including myself. Most of the people into audio are hobbyists. Not engineers. 

30 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Thanks - the part I've bolded answers the question I've always had about why op amps are so much better suited for headphone amps than power amplifiers. 

Would it be accurate (or at least substantially accurate) to say that this principle also is why, with traditional Class A/AB amps, more powerful amps need more transistor banks/output stages - and therefore when a company makes multiple power-rated amps in the same model line, people sometimes note that the less powerful models, with fewer output stages, measure and sound cleaner?

‘That’s a great point, I mean all this discussion you are having. A breath of fresh air from the general radical objectivists opinion that “all amps sound the same as long as they have enough power and current for a certain speaker”