IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 7/21/2020 at 6:27 AM, kzs70 said:

Hello,

I am thinking about upgrading the fuse in my Keces P3 too. I have checked the rating of the fuse originally installed in it, and it seems a T1.0A  type (it is hard to read).

Which type/rating fuse did you replace it with? Was it the SR Blue?

Thanks,

Zsolt

Hi

If you are not sure about type and rating of fuse, I will first contact the manufacturer before experimenting with aftermarket fuses. For safety reasons, you don't want install wrong type and amperage of fuse.

I can recommend SR orange, if your funding let's go. Like them in every component I installed, JS-2, dac, even headphone amp.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

31 minutes ago, roman410 said:

Hi

If you are not sure about type and rating of fuse, I will first contact the manufacturer before experimenting with aftermarket fuses. For safety reasons, you don't want install wrong type and amperage of fuse.

I can recommend SR orange, if your funding let's go. Like them in every component I installed, JS-2, dac, even headphone amp.

I agree on SR Orange.  The problem with SR fuses though is that sometimes you need to go to the next highest power rating to ensure that they don’t blow when a component is first switched on.  Best to also check with those who have the same component.

At one point I swapped all my fuses with SR Blue.  My preamp and amp were fine with the value specified by the manufacturer.  My phono stage blew the fuse on power up though due to the inrush of current.  I was fortunate to have a dealer who allowed me to swap the blown fuse for Blue of a higher rating.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

56 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I agree on SR Orange.  The problem with SR fuses though is that sometimes you need to go to the next highest power rating to ensure that they don’t blow when a component is first switched on.  Best to also check with those who have the same component.

At one point I swapped all my fuses with SR Blue.  My preamp and amp were fine with the value specified by the manufacturer.  My phono stage blew the fuse on power up though due to the inrush of current.  I was fortunate to have a dealer who allowed me to swap the blown fuse for Blue of a higher rating.  

That is true, SR fuses are famous to unreasonably blow up during powering on the device, especially on tube components. I have moded tube dac and have to settle up with double amperage, to stop blowing up the fuse. Good think that was happening during satisfaction guaranteed 30 days warranty and do not have problem get replacements.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

On 7/21/2020 at 6:27 AM, kzs70 said:

Hello,

I am thinking about upgrading the fuse in my Keces P3 too. I have checked the rating of the fuse originally installed in it, and it seems a T1.0A  type (it is hard to read).

Which type/rating fuse did you replace it with? Was it the SR Blue?

Thanks,

Zsolt

Hi, the Keces P3 is sensitive to the fuse.  Per the manual 'Fuse : 2A fuse for 115V / 1A fuse for 230V'.  I'm using a 115v and can confirm a 2A small/fast blow (F) fuse was in it.  I'm guessing you're using 230v.  With SR fuses you want to go one notch up, so I use 2.5v to avoid blowing the fuse when switching the unit on.  The stock silver/ceramic is a little unnatural sounding on the treble and a few reviews have noted that in comparison to the Sbooster.  The blue fuse corrects that and provides a very large jump in sound well worth it's price, especially if they're on sale for ~90 USD.  My only issue with the Blue fuse is that everywhere I've heard it, there is a certain coolness/dryness in the upper frequencies that always present.  To me the timbre is off, as the blue fuse imparts a slightly artificial character.  Yesterday though, I heard what the orange fuse can do (though not on the Keces).  It has a much longer break-in period and can sound off at first (dull, too warm).  The orange is more realistic and natural sounding.  It also really cleans up bass <40hz.  Personally, I'm waiting for another 3 for 2 or 30% off sale and will pick up a few of these.

20 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

Where are these sale promotion going on or coming from?

I heard about it from the cable company.

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

3 hours ago, nonesup said:

Well I have had time to compare the new Corning Clear Curve with the generic yellow.  Undoubtedly the sound is different.  The sound with Corning is more transparent, the details are heard more clearly and the spatial presentation is better.  Now this is my system, I think because of the cost it is easy to test.  This is comparing both cables in 5 meters.  I have gone to place the Corning of 10 meters to test and I have been surprised that by mistake they have sent LC-SC instead of LC-LC.  I just sent you an email.

Please post part number and link for ordering.  Thanks

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

7 hours ago, nonesup said:

Excellent!  Thank you! 🙏  Exactly what I needed!

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

8 hours ago, nonesup said:

For Corning multimode, duplex LC to LC cable:  is Sonore the only source?  $50/meter seems pretty pricey.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 hours ago, lwr said:

Excellent!  Thank you! 🙏  Exactly what I needed!

Alas, even though I am just across the Bay from FOSCO's facility, shipping is more than the cost of a short link. Otherwise, I might well have gone the Corning route, too. 

Thanks to @auricgoldfinger, here is what I am using for singlemode, which was $14.39, delivered, for .7m. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008EN3H0A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_trXhFb11HH700

I have no idea who makes the innards, but suspect the product description would have said that it is Corning if it is.  It works fine. 

I still wonder about attenuation with these short runs of singlemode, though.  I don't have a clear understanding of when it's necessary (I guess it matters more with certain kinds of SFP's) and what bad stuff happens if you fail to use it when you should (SQ issues?  Burn up your SFP?  Burn up your optical Rendu?).

I do recall hearing from Sonore that, even for multimode,they recommended using OM1 cables instead of the OM3 that everyone was using a few years ago with Trendnet FMC's because of overheating risk.  I therefore suspect that I should be paying more attention to temperature than I am. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

2 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks to @auricgoldfinger, here is what I am using for singlemode, which was $14.39, delivered, for .7m. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008EN3H0A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_trXhFb11HH700

I have no idea who makes the innards, but suspect the product description would have said that it is Corning if it is.  It works fine. 

I use this and as you can see Corning is mentioned:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099S4UTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I could not tell you if this makes it any better.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

2 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

If you're concerned about attenuation, you might consider exchanging the .7m cable for a 5m or 10m cable.  Leaving the cables wound will provide some attenuation.  The tighter the coil (more bends), the greater the attenuation.  If your system is transparent enough, you may be able to hear a difference between the different lengths.

Thanks again.  That sounds like a smart idea if I am risking equipments longevity by running too hot with the Finisars you guys talked me into getting.  :)

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

I use this and as you can see Corning is mentioned:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099S4UTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I could not tell you if this makes it any better.

I appreciate the candor. I am so used to every change being described as night-and-day better!

And I just double-checked the description of the product that I bought.  It also says it’s Corning.  Even though it’s not remotely hidden, I overlooked the Corning reference in the product description.  My bad.

I recently swapped a Sonore opticalModule for the 10Gtek fiber transceiver I was using between my router and the ER.

The 10GTek stuff powered by an HDPlex LPS with an Sbooster Ultra DC module was a definite improvement over an AQ Cinnamon Ethernet cable. Swapping our the 10GTek for the opticalModule and the associated System Optique SFPs and fiber link was a real ear opener.

After a bit of break-in with the oM in the chain I honestly feel like I have new speakers!

-Andy

Digital Chain is (very long!): Router > AQ Cinnamon Ethernet > oM (HDplex LPS) > 5m Fiber > ER (Sbooster LPS) > Synergistic Reference Ethernet > Roon Nucleus+ (JS-2) > Curious USB Link > ISO Regen (LPS 1.2) > VBUS Isolator > Synergistic Reference USB > Matrix X-SPDIF 2 (JS-2) > AQ Mocha HDMI > PS Audio DSD Sr. via I2S

Andy

58 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

Thanks Markus,

And OT as it might be does anyone know if the UK dealers are honouring the 3 for 2?

Cheers,

Aland

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers