IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

11 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

@lwr - according to the manual, it should be audiouser/euphony.

Wow! It works! It seems I have missed that or the manual at all.. lol 🤔

Thank you! 🙂

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Got it.  Thanks

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

I guess they protect the root password. 

Yes, I can not edit the rtirq.conf file with audiouser/euphony. 

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

I followed the instructions to make a euphony bootable usb stick. After the initial menu with Euphony as the first (and chosen) option, the boot gets stuck at:

ERROR device UUID=[.... long string] not found. Skipping fsck.

mount: /new_root: can't find UUID=[.... same string]

You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off.

[rootfs ]#

I normally use this PC to boot into Gentoo(Player) from a stick and load everything in RAM. There is no SATA disk in the PC. Is this a setup that would not work with Euphony?

audio system

15 minutes ago, Lukasluis said:

I tried to scan the thread but I can’t seem to find how to load convolution filters to HQPlayerD. Can you point me to the guide please? Is this even possible with Euphony?

I fear there is no such guide. You don't have full access to the HQPe settings with Euphony. You could open a ticket and ask Zejlko to make the access to the HQPe web interface possible.

On 5/28/2019 at 6:18 PM, Dev said:

Ahh...the unobtonium SR7 comes into every other discussions 🙂 You lucky chaps!.

Can anyone tell if the differences from other good quality PSU is like splitting hairs or the improvements are massive ? How much in terms of % are we talking about ? I am trying to guesstimate how much I am missing 🙁

On the other hand (and playing devil's advocate), maybe all these money spent into motherboard, CPU, chassis, Network/USB audiophile card, unobtonium SR7, expensive DC cables and endless tweaking is not worth than getting a reference server like a Auralic G2 which will mostly cost about the same. Anybody compare yet ? 

I have just been reading the thread and saw this post. I had the G1  (a bit more than half the price of the G2) for a couple of weeks, it was a little more transparent than my fanless ITX build when I could run it directly connected to my usb HD library. However it stopped working in this mode, it kept losing the library.  Dealer said the best option was to use NAS, SQ went down hill when I had to stream via ethernet . I was not inclined to keep it, the significant improvement I was hoping for did not materialise.

Since then I have been treading the Novel improvement path, I use my ITX as a server to my NUi7 client with audiolinux running in RAM. Now I do have the massive improvement I was looking for, way ahead of the G1 for a similar outlay and plenty of options for further improvements.

I know the G2 is a step up from the G1, however from what I have read they are pretty close in performance and the nature of the sound produced.

Back to Euphony  - would it worthwhile putting it on my server to stream to the Audiolinux NUC?

Hi All

I have been playing around with Euphony running Roon and HQ Player. 

The interesting things here is I can run XTR filters and new ASDM7EC on my Windows Server 2019 using AO & Fidelizer, albeit my processor running at 90%. no buffer

The above filters simple will not on Euphony, even with buffer set in HQ player. Stutters and Stutters. Try hours trying to resolve. 

So here's my question, if Euphony is optimized just for music then why can't it do what Windows server is doing?

You think USB drive got something to do with it?

Unless anyone has any ideas I'll give up and go back to Windows

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

looking for instructions on how to make an  Optane M2 stick into an SSD for Euphony on i3 NUC, can't seem to find that posted. Anyone know where

I might find that?

If you want to install the trial on ssd/hdd you find Nenon's method here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/page/15/?tab=comments#comment-969660

Mine is here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-941032

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

For folks who are using Euphony OS, you may be interested in this. Željko now has an experimental build where he has implemented ramroot support, which can be enabled/disabled from the Expert Settings area of the UI.

I've been trying it out for a couple of days, and my results so far have been promising. Just like in AL, enabling ramroot (loading the root partition into a RAM disk, and then booting from it) results in a definite uptick in sound quality.

Željko wants to get a few more proof points before releasing it, and asked me to convey this call for testers. If you're interested in testing it out, and reporting your results here in this thread, please reach out to him by opening a support ticket in the Euphony system.

So how can I  benefit from the ramroot option if I already run Euphony on an internal Optane drive?

Sorry if my question is a  bit dumb!

58 minutes ago, mozes said:

So how can I  benefit from the ramroot option if I already run Euphony on an internal Optane drive?

Sorry if my question is a  bit dumb!

Not a dumb question, and no apology necessary! 

Loading the OS from an NVMe SSD (which is what your internal Optane drive is) is different from Ramroot:

• In normal mode, the boot loader will load the operating system (Euphony or AL, since both are based on Arch Linux) from the partition on the SSD that contains the root filesystem, i.e. that contains the / filesystem.
  • In Ramroot mode, the boot loader proceeds with an extra step. Early in the boot process, it creates a RAM disk partition (/dev/zram0) in memory, copies the contents of the / partition from the SSD to this partition, and then completes the boot from this RAM disk partition. 

What this means is that the filesystem containing the kernel and the OS files is now completely in RAM.

Why exactly this sounds better is yet to be explained, although a lot of theories abound, having to do with reducing the latency of OS operations due to all OS files being in RAM.

8 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Hi All

I have been playing around with Euphony running Roon and HQ Player. 

The interesting things here is I can run XTR filters and new ASDM7EC on my Windows Server 2019 using AO & Fidelizer, albeit my processor running at 90%. no buffer

The above filters simple will not on Euphony, even with buffer set in HQ player. Stutters and Stutters. Try hours trying to resolve. 

So here's my question, if Euphony is optimized just for music then why can't it do what Windows server is doing?

You think USB drive got something to do with it?

Unless anyone has any ideas I'll give up and go back to Windows

Very interesting, which processor do you have?

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Loading the OS from an NVMe SSD (which is what your internal Optane drive is) is different from Ramroot:

• In normal mode, the boot loader will load the operating system (Euphony or AL, since both are based on Arch Linux) from the partition on the SSD that contains the root filesystem, i.e. that contains the / filesystem.
  • In Ramroot mode, the boot loader proceeds with an extra step. Early in the boot process, it creates a RAM disk partition (/dev/zram0) in memory, copies the contents of the / partition from the SSD to this partition, and then completes the boot from this RAM disk partition. 

What this means is that the filesystem containing the kernel and the OS files is now completely in RAM.

Why exactly this sounds better is yet to be explained, although a lot of theories abound, having to do with reducing the latency of OS operations due to all OS files being in RAM.

Great now I understand :)

thanks for the detailed explanation.

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

But Euphony OS cannot run in RAMROOT correct ? I know AL can. 

7 hours ago, austinpop said:

It was also once stated that the prime reason for using Optane was that the latency was comparable with RAM (and the noise comparable with USB). 

11 hours ago, austinpop said:

For folks who are using Euphony OS, you may be interested in this. Željko now has an experimental build where he has implemented ramroot support, which can be enabled/disabled from the Expert Settings area of the UI.

I've been trying it out for a couple of days, and my results so far have been promising. Just like in AL, enabling ramroot (loading the root partition into a RAM disk, and then booting from it) results in a definite uptick in sound quality.

Željko wants to get a few more proof points before releasing it, and asked me to convey this call for testers. If you're interested in testing it out, and reporting your results here in this thread, please reach out to him by opening a support ticket in the Euphony system.

I am in a process of trying ramroot with NAA endpoint Euphony. First impression is very good! With this I want to confirm a definite change with enabling ramroot.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I am in a process of trying ramroot with NAA endpoint Euphony. First impression is very good! With this I want to confirm a definite change with enabling ramroot.

Is this feature available on the Trial license. I can't seem to find the option for Ramroot in the Expert settings.